Where do you buy CDs?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Try to use independent record shops as much as possible, usually have helpful knowledgable staff, they pay tax and most have excellent online services too. Strikes me as odd that so many people bang on about the value of a good hifi dealer, but are more than happy to use large corporations to penny pinch on actually buying music.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I also use Amazon, based on range and price, but I think that Presto is superb for Classical. The weekly mailing is great, the preview facility is brilliant and there is always a variety of special offers. I have to say too that it pleases me to support an independent concern!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Always online, mostly Amazon ( often marketplace) - I do compare, but for the stuff I listen to the supermarkets usually do not stock it or it is dearer. I gave up shopping on the High Street years ago, as they rarely had what I wanted and if they did it was far too expensive (without even allowing for the cost of parking, petrol etc). The last time I bought anything at all on the High Street was over seven years ago and that was a distress purchase.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I don't buy many physical CDs these days, but when I do I tend to find the bands website and get it from there if possible (I listen to much independant and not so mainstream stuff). I have also used Amazon market for both used and new.

For downloads I use Boomkat mostly, who offer FLAC versions for a small amount extra over the 320 Kbps MP3 version.

I've also used Bleep/Warprecords and Linn.

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Recently, I have purchased my CD's from Amazon - nearly always "Used as New" - some for as little as 1p (yes! 1p) plus £1.20 for Jiffy bag and postage..

As long a they rip ok - which they all have - happy days!!

smile.png

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Great description Joe,but please warn Not to add sugar to the disk...your much loved cd player will not thankyou for it.Type two diabetes in a cdp is not a pretty sight.

I use Amazon,waiting on some disks at the mo... pp takes the average up to £2.50 per album.

T

the record spot

Joe Cox said:
I've had a couple of people ask me, quite genuinely, where they can buy CDs? Post-HMV etc. If you still buy CDs, where do you buy them? Hard to look past Amazon, Play, supermarkets etc.

We're quite well off for used CD stores in Edinburgh; I use Hogs Head, Vinyl Villains and Oxfam's dedicated (and excellent) music shop down in Stockbridge. Shelter, just along the road also has a good CD selection. One or two others too. Fopp has survived - thankfully - but HMV shutting all five of its Edinburgh stores is a joke.

T

the record spot

God, eil.com Atticus? Have they changed their pricing policy? They're best reserved for that genuinely unobtainable item you don't mind coughing up the hard-earned for. And you will cough it up - vastly overpriced for a lot of stuff you can get for way less elsewhere.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
BenLaw said:
6th.replicant said:
Amazon (with 'free' Prime delivery). Or, if feeling extravagant, might have a sniff around CD Japan or MoFi for SACD treats :grin:

EDIT: Ooo, "Blu-spec CD2" - wussat?? Google!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-spec_CD

I feel the need for a back-to-back comparison... :shifty:

And starting to feel mighty peeved that Blu-spec CD2 hasn't been adopted as standard |(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts