Where do you buy CDs?

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
I've had a couple of people ask me, quite genuinely, where they can buy CDs? Post-HMV etc. If you still buy CDs, where do you buy them? Hard to look past Amazon, Play, supermarkets etc.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Mostly on Amazon Market place usually used but some new if price is right.

I never bought any in HMV, I did go in there a few weeks ago and seemed to have mostly dvds, the music section was quite small.

BigH said:
bigboss said:
Tesco & Asda usually offer the best deals for Music CDs.

I doubt that.

Well, that's my experience. Tesco often gives away 250 Clubcard points on pre-orders, which is worth £2.50. Whenever I buy a Music CD or a blu ray, I always check all popular online places including Amazon, Play, Zavvi / The Hut, Sainsburys, Tesco, Asda, Wow HD & Hive. In the past 12 months, more than 90% of my CD purchases have been from Tesco or Asda, and the remaining 10% from Sainsburys. None from Amazon.

For example, look for the best deals for Now 84 currently available. Amazon: £11.99, Asda £11, Tesco £11.99 with bonus 200 Clubcard points. Can you find it cheaper?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I looked on Asda site and they have a very limited range, most were around £9.97, checked on Amazon and they were £9 or less, these were new albums (2013), for older ones Amazon was far cheaper. I often pick up new ones for £5 or used, nearly mint for less than £2 inc. postage, plus they have about x100 the range. New cds in the USA are often cheaper, can just order those, postage is £1.26 the same as UK ones.

I will check out Tesco.

The advantage of Amazon is that they have a massive range, & you will more than likely find the CD you want. Supermarkets hold a limited range, mostly new ones. It pays to shop around, and knowing the fact that better deals than Amazon can be had.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
HMV mostly (we still have one and it's good).

BBC online shop for all my BBC drama/docu/comedy CDs & DVDs and sets.

Direct from the company for classical (wherever they have an online shop).

Ebay for hard to find/out of production.

Amazon UK/DE/FR. Very seldom used since I first heard of them paying no UK company taxes. (And only if there is no other way to obtain it ).

Supermarkets. Never.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Mostly ebay these days as I tend to buy more used than new. Also there's a shop in my nearest large town which sell used CDs, DVDs and games for much cheapness. Big place too, and while you won't find many recent (2012/13) or obscure titles, nearly everything is 3 for £5 or £1.99 each, including the DVDs, which is fantastic. Same price buys me two lossy singles from iTunes or Amazon.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:

You must have terribly mainstream tastes, how awful for you. Would you like to borrow my post OK Computer Radiohead collection? I have some stuff by Refused too, because I'm eclectic. I've got a couple of things other people listen to, but that's mostly irony on my part.

I like italics.

Alec said:
bigboss said:

You must have terribly mainstream tastes, how awful for you. Would you like to borrow my post OK Computer Radiohead collection? I have some stuff by Refused too, because I'm eclectic. I've got a couple of things other people listen to, but that's mostly irony on my part.

I like italics.

Oh well, we're all entitled to our taste of music. :)

I'm not a music person - don't have the patience to listen to boring stuff. I love watching movies much more than listening to music.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine is nearly all classical so it's hard to look past Amazon. Music is so cheap nowadays that I don't see price as much of an issue, convenience is much more important. We still have a HMV in Birmingham but their classical range is hopeless.

Chris

PS I don't blame Amazon for not paying tax. Every company in the world arranges their affairs to be the most tax efficient. If governments don't like it then they need to sort out the legislation!

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
We still have 2 HMVs in Norwich and a classy classical shop called Prelude records or something like that if I cant get what I want in HMV I use amazon or play .com

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts