Where do I start??

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Having recently delved into the world of home cinema, this year I think it is about time to upgrade my seperates system.

This (please dont laugh) consists of

1. Kenwood CD Player DP2030

2. Kenwood AMP KA1030

3. Sony ST SE-500 tuner

4. Pro-ject turntable (not sure of model)

5. Pair of Tannoy Mercury M2 speakers

TBH it sounds reasonable considering some of the componants are 15 years old. Anyway, am upgrading this year total budget about £1000, really want to upgrade CD, AMP and Speakers this year, any suggestions? and in what order because I am useless at saving and willprobably just buy the individual componants as and when funds available.

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

I think the speakers, although certainly budget models, were generally well regarded...
I would probably start with the amp, then the CD, and would advise you to pay a visit to my local hi fi dealer to ask for a demo of some amp / cd combos. You have quite a wide choice at that sort of price range.

My last piece of advice would be to spend that grand on just the amp and cd, and to upgrade the speakers at a later date when funds allow, even if that means next year.

A

Anonymous

I would see what the dealer can recommend to you on all 3 fronts, having never listened to those speakers, I can not say for certain but only you can decide on whether there is much room for improvement within your budget. You could also consider purchasing an external dac instead of the cd player which might lead to a big improvement on all aspects of the audio playback.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks guys, surpised to hear my speakers would still be ok for now - thats good though.

Think I will give the guys at audio t a bell and *** my speakers down so I can demo some gear.

hifi Newbie - am fairly ok with home cinema but (sorry to sound stupid) why would a DAC (digital to analogue converter) be a greater improvement than a new CD player and would I still use my old CD player??

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
However upon inspection of my 15 year old beast - no digital out - thats that idea scuppered then!!

Hifi newbie - would you say that a cheaper CD player with an external DAC will give a better sound than a similarly priced (for both componants) CD player?

A

Anonymous

Therein lies the rub: you'd need a better amp and maybe speakers before you'd be able to hear the difference.

If you do a search on this site for dacmagic you'll find many comments on the dac/cd comparison.

Going back to your original question, my memory says that the Tannoys were budget but very good speakers all the same. I'd therefore be looking at the amp first, as others have said. With those speakers, Marantz would be a good choice - think Marantz were bundled with the Tannoy M series at one time, at least in OZ - followed by NAD. Many people on this forum like Cambridge Audio but haven't heard their gear myself.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
What kind of music do you listn to?

Also; do you want standmount speakers with a decent pair of stands or do you want floorstanders?

There's all sorts of good deals out there now that would, TBH, blow your system out of the water. Some of the separate systems that Superfi.co.uk do are very good as are the other NAD and Marantz combos. Rotel is always worth a look at as are Arcam (but with your budget id say it'd have to be quality 2nd hand items off eBay).

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Ok then heres my plan (will probably change)

Buy some soundstyle speaker stands for the tannoys, a decent interconnect and an upgrade to my speaker cable.

Then in about a month or so the Marantz PM 6002 or a NAD C325 BEE (depending on audition).

After that the quandry that is cheap CD player + expensive DAC or expensive (for me) CD player.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Stands for the speakers sounds good as well as new interconnects and speaker cable BUT i feel that when you get a new amp and CDP; they will show up the flaws of the speakers. With the stands; make sure you mass load them as well for them to sound their best. Atabites will be spot on

In the meantime the NAD C325 integrated amp would be a good match to the Tannoys and dont bother with a DAC; just get yourself a good matching NAD CDP as well (the NAD C525BEE or NAD C542 CDP's are both very good and already have a good DAC internally)

Cable wise; i think QED Silver Anniversary or Chord Carnival Silverscreen cable would be sufficient as well as the Chord Chrimson or Atlas Equator interconnects.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanksfor the replies. Seeing as I would prefer one make then I am going to ask my local dealer for an audition of the NAD C325 and the NAD C525BEE with my speakers. Thing is I like thelook of the new Dali Lektor 2, any comments on these. how much of a jump in quality are theseover the tannoys or would I be better off saving for others?? have to be standmount tho.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You could argue that there's never been a better time to upgrade the whole thing...

Dealers will rip your arm off for a sale at the moment. There are bargains to be had.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
Dealers will rip your arm off for a sale at the moment. There are bargains to be had.

Not too sure about that.ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:

I'm actually buying from my dealer without asking for a deal at the moment - local businesses need to be supported at the moment!

off-topic: Joel, thanks for joining my group - I'm trying to get a few more members!

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:
off-topic: Joel, thanks for joining my group - I'm trying to get a few more members!

What you on? I'll join your gang.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Octopo:Hughes123:

What you on? I'll join your gang.

Facebook - type in "I Love Arcam" -
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

Octopo:
"I Love Arcam"

I'd rather not then, if you don't mind.

emotion-13.gif

A

Anonymous

True Blue:
Ok then heres my plan (will probably change)

Buy some soundstyle speaker stands for the tannoys, a decent interconnect and an upgrade to my speaker cable.

Then in about a month or so the Marantz PM 6002 or a NAD C325 BEE (depending on audition).

After that the quandry that is cheap CD player + expensive DAC or expensive (for me) CD player.

Looks like a good plan to me. Putting those speakers on stands will improve them, but don't expect to see much return on your investment for cabling until you acquire the new components.

A

Anonymous

Would have replied were it not for this god forsaken internet
connection!. Anyways I agree with Dan in as much as if you intend to
just connect a cd player to an external dac, then don't bother. However
if on the other hand you are going to rip your cd collection to
lossless i.e. wav and then connect an optical cable from your laptop/pc
to an external dac, then all I can tell you is that I have done the
same thing connecting an external hdd to my ps3, connected to the
beresford dac and it sounds wonderful. There is so much more punch,
rythm, fantastic seperation, clarity and drive and chebby mentioned the
word immediacy which also nicely descrbes the sound.
That
is me comparing the setup to my previous source which was a Sony XB930
cd player which is a good cd player in it's own right but the
difference between the two as far as I am concerned truly is night and
day. So my recommendation would be to go down the lossless route if you
can because sonically my music has benefited massively from this. It is
also worth pointing out that should you take your music in this
direction, then your expenses will be greatly reduced because a second
hand beresford mark 6 can be purchased for less than 100.00 on ebay,
which then leaves you to purchase an amp and speakers.

A

Anonymous

Persoanlly, i'd bung most of the cash on a nice "high-end" amp, say £500-£750 something like the Roksan K2 for just under £700 if you look about, or Naim 5i if you like naim, equivalent Arcam, etc, etc, etc.

Then, you could spend about £100-150 on a second hand CDP from about 5 years ago - this would be a massive step up from the Kenwood. Anything by Nad, Arcam, Marantz (could get a nice KI example), Cambridge audio, etc, would do the trick.

I sold my 5yo £270 Nad CDP for about £50 not long ago, so there are bargains to be had.

Then spend the rest on stands, cables, etc and your laughing.

Then you'll be addicted and soon be selling drugs to kids to upgrade your speakers so buy some drop-dead Sonus Faber's :)

TRENDING THREADS