Where are all the regular posters?

A

Anonymous

i don't know about people dissapearing but i have noticed that the forum seems very quiet of late.

idc

We need new blood.......

vampirebite.jpg

D

Deleted member 2457

Well with the new website you can only seem to be able to see who is online on occasions and not all the time, so that is not helping to see who is about and not. Also some people have been having trouble posting, so might be keeping away for abit - not sure.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Frustrating website (although I'm looking forward for the fine tuning of it!) and not spending any money (well, trying not to!!)keeps me away more than usual.... No essential upgrades are imminent either..... ;)

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
Frustrating website (although I'm looking forward for the fine tuning of it!) and not spending any money (well, trying not to!!)keeps me away more than usual.... No essential upgrades are imminent either..... ;)

You done spending for this week then Pete?? :)

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Errrr yes.

My working hours will start to become long and hard until Oct/Nov time now, so I'll probably not have time to spend much money from now on..... :((

Anyway....loving my 'dream' system now...... 8)

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling more regulars are surfing rather than posting...it's just that bit more awkward getting a post up and running with the new set up...

A combination of things...

Personally, I'm slightly disillusioned by certain people flexing their egoes. Additionally, the past year or so the forum hasn't been as much fun; the days of friendly, humourous banter, allied to informative and knowledgable characters has diminished a little.

Perhaps I'm intellectually (or sonically) spent...

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Still here!! Busy with work though..... V tired and lots to do. Not even watched a film in about 3 weeks!! Enjoying listening to internet radio at Breakfast time though. Picked up Adele 21 at the weekend. Really seems to be growing on me!! Using my touch a lot for music outside at work a lot!!!!

Trying not to spend money right now, although would love an Apple TV and a Wifi Rdac!!

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Personally, I'm slightly disillusioned by certain people flexing their egoes. Additionally, the past year or so the forum hasn't been as much fun; the days of friendly, humourous banter, allied to informative and knowledgable characters has diminished a little.

As a recent joiner of the forum, I concur. There are some people on these forums who are obviously very knowledgable but seem to take joy in snide / sarcastic replies. It may be that there is a history between certain posters but it doesn't lead to a very welcoming atmosphere. Some of the rules seem a little Draconian to me.

Compared to another forum I frequent (motorbikes), there is a lot less friendly help and advice here (tho most of the users on the bike forum are hobbyists who have a passion that they want to share). Having said that, I've had a few replies to some of my posts that have been informed and very useful to me, for which I'm very grateful.

As for the new forum software, it seems ok to me - certainly doesn't put me off visiting.

Rgds

John Duncan

Red Dragon said:
I have a feeling more regulars are surfing rather than posting...it's just that bit more awkward getting a post up and running with the new set up...

Forum posting is down 1.8% since relaunch (compared to the previous week). But it's seasonal anyway, so difficult to say whether that's problems with new site (which I wouldn't rule out - cf: IE issues) or whether it would have happened anyway. Suffice to say we're monitoring traffic very closely to assess the impact of the relaunch...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Red Dragon said:

Forum posting is down 1.8% since relaunch (compared to the previous week). But it's seasonal anyway, so difficult to say whether that's problems with new site (which I wouldn't rule out - cf: IE issues) or whether it would have happened anyway. Suffice to say we're monitoring traffic very closely to assess the impact of the relaunch...

Traffic wont tell all. I'll still come but now I have to disable rich text to even post anything at all, which certainly doenst male me happy. Don't assume that because poeple are coming still, theyre happy as larry.

Sorry to be blunt, and I'm sure you have a very hard job. I personalyy know nothing of what these...changes must tak eto implement. However, as an end user, i just see what i can and cannot do, and how nice the site does or does not look, and so far I've lost funtionality, as has happenned in previous changes to the site (possibly before your time).

One used to be able to copy and paste from within the reply window (ages ago, this isnt a recent thing). This made quotes a lot easier. Now you cannot.

I'm also fairly sure (again, way back when) searching for people's posts was different, and better.

If anyone can jog my memory on that...?

Sorry John, I really am. I've seen an opportunity and been very blunt with it, possibly just out of a general bad mood, and far too early in my particular day. However, i do stand by all the above and it it cerartinly true site traffic will only tell part of the story...

John Duncan

al7478 said:
Traffic wont tell all. I'll still come but now I have to disable rich text to even post anything at all, which certainly doenst male me happy. Don't assume that because poeple are coming still, theyre happy as larry. Sorry to be blunt, and I'm sure you have a very hard job. I personalyy know nothing of what these...changes must tak eto implement. However, as an end user, i just see what i can and cannot do, and how nice the site does or does not look, and so far I've lost funtionality, as has happenned in previous changes to the site (possibly before your time). One used to be able to copy and paste from within the reply window (ages ago, this isnt a recent thing). This made quotes a lot easier. Now you cannot. I'm also fairly sure (again, way back when) searching for people's posts was different, and better. If anyone can jog my memory on that...? Sorry John, I really am. I've seen an opportunity and been very blunt with it, possibly just out of a general bad mood, and far too early in my particular day. However, i do stand by all the above and it it cerartinly true site traffic will only tell part of the story...

No problem, Al. Obviously I want functionality to be better than it was before, and I'd argue that in some of the areas you mention it is; I'd argue that the ability to post rich text from one browser and be able to post with more limited functionality from a device like an iPad or iPod, is a step forward for the vast majority of people, who post from various locations during the day. If anyone only ever posts from an iPad then yes, I accept that the new site is a minor step backward for them, and one that can't immediately be fixed. However, on balance I'd say that area is better than it was before.

I agree that user's posts not being visible is a big deal, and it's one we want to fix very quickly; on the whole, though, whilst the presentation of search results is...different...the actual search results it returns are better than they were before. Trust me on this one! That said, making search results look better is also high on the list, and we'll be making moves to resolve that quickly as well.

As for your specific issues with copying and pasting (or indeed posting at all!), I'm fairly sure we've dealt with them all across the various discussion threads related to the new forum, but I'm happy to discuss them again here in order to get you sorted. What browser are you using (hint: bet it's Internet Explorer...)?
smiley-smile.gif

cheers

JD

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Ooh, you only show up as "Admin", John. I never post from an i-pad. I use the latest IE i think, yes. But it is used as a dirty word by many and theres frankly little reason for that form this uneducated end user's point of view. "on the whole, though, whilst the presentation of search results is...different...the actual search results it returns are better than they were before. Trust me on this one!" Not really sure what this means. And this is waht leaves us non techies scratching our heads. It either seems to work better for us or it doesnt. Just a general point that, as ive no real issue with what happens when i just type a search in i dont think, except soemtimes it just refuses to work at all. Didnt there, ages ago (i really do mean way before these latest changes) used to be a longer or differently organised list of posts when you clicked on someones name? Sorry to be so vague on taht, but i liked it. Though thinking about it the way this one is organized is chronological so i doubt thats my problem there ha! I must admit, mind, that im not as good at searching as some. someone once found something for me by doing a chronological search by poster, and ive no idea how to!

Ooh, and now youre back to normal. I'll go read soem of th eother threads you refered to.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Sigh.

Sorry tha last one is a one block mess. It looked OK when i typed it, and i think when i posted it, then i went in to edit it and got that. Then i tried to edit the edit and teh last edit didnt appear, as has happenned of late.

scene

JD: Are we going to get the interesting and informative "Read count" back?

I found it useful to know how often a thread had been read, as opposed to replied to, as it was an indication of how relevant people found the post and how likely a post was to get a reply...

TRENDING THREADS