Where are all the regular posters?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

One thing i am looking forward too in the future is the private messaging system (if we get one with the classified section), that would be very useful and handy for us. I have been using this on another website and it is fantastic and something i wish i could have used many times on here.

scene

Andrew Everard said:
scene said:
But on AE's point, the ranking system in forum software is there to help you establish how regularly someone posts and how many posts they make. Some software has a more advanced system, as Max alludes too, where posts can be approved or disapproved - i.e. I found this helpful, I found this unhelpful. This ranking of posts is then carried forward to the user display to give statistics "27% of posts found helpful", "10% found unhelpful". This helps others evaluate the weighting they might give to a given poster's comments and is more useful than a bald this person has a lot of spare time, so posts a lot, kind of statistic.

You clearly spend too much time on forums, scene – but there really are no plans for such a system here.

'tis the true - but the downside of being involved in IT, where forums are often the only way to get solutions to some problems. Then it is extremely useful to know when the solution proffered is from someone that others have found helpful...

But, as gel says, maybe this would be a little dry here - but I thought I'd just add my experiences to the mix - which after all, is part of the point of these forums... :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Thegelman said:
scene said:
I was just asking. But some forums have some more amusing acronyms...

But on AE's point, the ranking system in forum software is there to help you establish how regularly someone posts and how many posts they make. Some software has a more advanced system, as Max alludes too, where posts can be approved or disapproved - i.e. I found this helpful, I found this unhelpful. This ranking of posts is then carried forward to the user display to give statistics "27% of posts found helpful", "10% found unhelpful". This helps others evaluate the weighting they might give to a given poster's comments and is more useful than a bald this person has a lot of spare time, so posts a lot, kind of statistic.

Interesting, i am not sure about giving an opinion on somones every post but i have never seen it in play though. It is current form to i think it is abit plain and boring - a little to be honest. In its old form the old website, a little bit more interesting but not much difference to be honest - if any.

Do i think our opinions on this subject will count for anything - i doubt it.
smiley-smile.gif
perhaps if we could come up with something worthy and useful then i could carry some weight. Like i said though if i was being honest i do think it is a little plain and boring and present and if something useful could be added to jazz it up abit, then i would be for that - why not.
smiley-cool.gif

Cheers

By the way, that comment on do i think our opinions on this subject will count for anything was not a dig, it just meant that you have to run the website in the way you have too - that is all.

Off course i know you take everyones opinions on board - you have proved that many times
smiley-wink.gif

Cheers
smiley-cool.gif
just thought i would clear that up, incase anyone misunderstood.
smiley-smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Thegelman said:
6th.replicant said:
Who's Thegelman - as in Superman, Batman et al?? What the duce is a 'Thegel'? [insert 'confused' smiley - ie :S - here]

FWIW, me likey new site, especially its newfound compatibility with Safari, and the fact that it's so bright, and clean 'n' shiny :)

Need 'thumbs up' and 'confused' smileys, please
smiley-wink.gif
Actually, in hindsight, not keen on the 'winking' smiley - looks too much like a village idiot who's been blinded in one eye
smiley-surprised.gif

Well he is certainly not a Superhero
smiley-smile.gif
, just a name i am had come across that i liked and it just an extended version of Gel - which i still want to be called but anyone is
smiley-cool.gif

Cheers
smiley-wink.gif

I have been trying to think of this top 10 that Idc mentioned:

Is this right:

1. Maximus

2. Professorhat

3. Chebster

4. Idc

5. Gerrardasnails

6. Dave

7. David

8. The_Lhc

9. PP

10. MatthewPiano

* not sure if this Joelsim is still a member? or else he would be in there too.

Is that right? Sorry if i have mis-spelt anyones name or missed anyone out, just done that of the top of my head
smiley-wink.gif

Cheers
smiley-smile.gif

oops just noticed i missed out The record spot, who by my calculations comes in 10th, I think i am top 12
smiley-smile.gif

scene

Thegelman said:
Thegelman said:
6th.replicant said:
Who's Thegelman - as in Superman, Batman et al?? What the duce is a 'Thegel'? [insert 'confused' smiley - ie :S - here]

FWIW, me likey new site, especially its newfound compatibility with Safari, and the fact that it's so bright, and clean 'n' shiny :)

smiley-wink.gif
Actually, in hindsight, not keen on the 'winking' smiley - looks too much like a village idiot who's been blinded in one eye
smiley-surprised.gif

smiley-smile.gif
, just a name i am had come across that i liked and it just an extended version of Gel - which i still want to be called but anyone is
smiley-cool.gif

Cheers
smiley-wink.gif

Is this right:

1. Maximus

2. Professorhat

3. Chebster

4. Idc

5. Gerrardasnails

6. Dave

7. David

8. The_Lhc

9. PP

10. MatthewPiano

Is that right? Sorry if i have mis-spelt anyones name or missed anyone out, just done that of the top of my head
smiley-wink.gif

Cheers
smiley-smile.gif

oops just noticed i missed out The record spot, who by my calculations comes in 10th, I think i am top 12
smiley-smile.gif

Are you excluding company posters as well? I only ask as FrankHarveyHiFi is noticeably absent - or as he's "David", is he one of Dave / David - I assume one is daveh75...

EDIT: I may have answered my own question :x

D

Deleted member 2457

scene said:
Thegelman said:
Thegelman said:
6th.replicant said:

smiley-wink.gif
smiley-surprised.gif

smiley-smile.gif
smiley-cool.gif

Cheers
smiley-wink.gif

Is this right:

1. Maximus

2. Professorhat

3. Chebster

4. Idc

5. Gerrardasnails

6. Dave

7. David

8. The_Lhc

9. PP

10. MatthewPiano

smiley-wink.gif

Cheers
smiley-smile.gif

smiley-smile.gif

Are you excluding company posters as well? I only ask as FrankHarveyHiFi is noticeably absent - or as he's "David", is he one of Dave / David - I assume one is daveh75...

EDIT: I may have answered my own question :x

Yep Frank is David and yep Dave, yep.
smiley-cool.gif
smiley-smile.gif

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
scene said:
I was just asking. But some forums have some more amusing acronyms...

Objectifying the subjective is tricky* at the best of times. (I should know, I teach and often "mark/assess/grade" drama for a living). So numbers, gradings, ratings wouldn't do much for me in the context of forums and threads. Plus, lots of posts aren't simply technical requests or responses. Many are overtly presented as opinions and preferences for certain albums (cf. recent posts on Adele and Radiohead, to name but two).

*pointless even. Or is it that just a Freudian slip of acknowledgment on my day job's worth? ( The grading bit, I mean).

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
Andrew Everard said:
Thegelman said:
smiley-cool.gif
smiley-smile.gif

Have you been nibbling the dog-biscuits again, Mr Heligoland?

Heh, I always did picture gel as yappy little Jack Russell or something!
before he puts his gel in :p

EDITED BY MODS: Yet another very obviously copyright image bites the dust. Please stop doing this, max.

A

Anonymous

maxflinn said:
The_Lhc said:
Andrew Everard said:
Thegelman said:
smiley-cool.gif
smiley-smile.gif

Heh, I always did picture gel as yappy little Jack Russell or something!
before he puts his gel in :p

EDITED BY MODS: Yet another very obviously copyright image bites the dust. Please stop doing this, max.
sorry andrew, i'll check in future..

once i know how to :~

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes - It is taking a bit of learning curve for the new forums but using computers for many years, it is just a minor glitch.

Though, I am very sad for loosing my Signature / About me Data as I charted a Time Line with all my upgrades before the Forum upgrade
smiley-cry.gif

Feels like I can make some requests for the wanted features in the Forums
smiley-cool.gif

1. Ranking / Grading poster members (May be based on the word count than the post count, for obvious reasons!) which might help

2. E-mail alerts / notifications for the owners of the thread so that they can check back when some one make their new posts

3. May be a Currency ticker which shows how much their system would have costed new. It could be treated as show off but I would like to see it more as a remedy from Upgradeitis.

4. Your System as a standard template in user preferences so that it is slightly more easier to enter the data and once this is in place there could be a time line there. So when you upgrade your amp, and you enter the new amp data the old amp data is still in there with a kind of time frame for how long the old amp was used.

Well - I should stop now, I guess!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
WishTree said:
Feels like I can make some requests for the wanted features in the Forums
smiley-cool.gif

1. Ranking / Grading poster members (May be based on the word count than the post count, for obvious reasons!) which might help

Not gonna happen, for reasons explained above.

WishTree said:
2. E-mail alerts / notifications for the owners of the thread so that they can check back when some one make their new posts

Possible, maybe, but not a priority. Last time we tried such a thing people were snowed with emails, and we were almost as snowed with bounced emails.

WishTree said:
3. May be a Currency ticker which shows how much their system would have costed new. It could be treated as show off but I would like to see it more as a remedy from Upgradeitis.

Huh?

WishTree said:
4. Your System as a standard template in user preferences so that it is slightly more easier to enter the data and once this is in place there could be a time line there. So when you upgrade your amp, and you enter the new amp data the old amp data is still in there with a kind of time frame for how long the old amp was used.

I think that's putting too much information in a signature. There's always the 'Your system' section in which you can mainatin such information, linking to it from your signature.

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard said:
Thegelman said:
smiley-cool.gif
smiley-smile.gif

Andrew are you not feeling Thegelman?
smiley-smile.gif
if not can you change it back to the way it was, with just gel, cheers.
smiley-wink.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard said:
Thegelman said:
Andrew are you not feeling Thegelman?
smiley-smile.gif
if not can you change it back to the way it was, with just gel, cheers.
smiley-wink.gif
Nope you've Madeyourbed, and now you mustlieinit...

smiley-laughing.gif

No but seriously i am starting to get the feeling the members on here would just like it the way it has always been and to be honest i think that maybe that is best. Also there is not that much difference, i am really
smiley-cool.gif
with just gel.

Cheers
smiley-wink.gif

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

It's your nickname Gel, you choose whether it stays Thegelman or Gel. You said yourself it was for recognition on 2 www sites.

I'm sure AE means no malice.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

D

Deleted member 2457

Cofnchtr said:
Hi,

It's your nickname Gel, you choose whether it stays Thegelman or Gel. You said yourself it was for recognition on 2 www sites.

I'm sure AE means no malice.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Yep, i know he does not, just was not 100% how it would go down changing after such a long time.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
No, AE's just getting very weary of the continued introspective discussion of smileys, nicknames and such...

Hi,

You can please some of the forum some of the time.... ;) some just don't like change.

Personally I think it's much the same other than the red chat logos not changing when I've read all posts. Whether this is IE8 or the new sofware I dunno. Done the usual clear cache etc. but hey ho - I use the 'see latest posts' thread now which I didn't before.

If the main difference is at the 'back end' where all the work is done then braw - the admin team will be the ones to see the most benefit.

I can still post and read other posts. Result.

Keep up the good work and stay (in)sane!

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Well I dont want to sound rude, But I gave up.

I cant post anything at work, they use IE7 or something, and I can log in and everything, but wont let me type anything.

Tried like 10 times.

Also dont like the new layout, sorry, but seems worse than before.

idc

I have managed a post count in the thousands sharing my love of headphones and the Nordic prog rock scene. The challenge is to keep going finding more headphones and new bands. Today I found two new Swedish bands to enjoy, Bob Hund and Bergman Rock....deep joy
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts