Where are all the regular posters?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
the past year or so the forum hasn't been as much fun; the days of friendly, humourous banter, allied to informative and knowledgable characters has diminished a little.

I can see where you are coming from, is it possible people getting fed up of being shot down by somone new who does not even read the OP and can not admit to the possiblitty of an alternate point of view, not talking about anyone here BTW.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
A combination of things... Personally, I'm slightly disillusioned by certain people flexing their egoes. Additionally, the past year or so the forum hasn't been as much fun; the days of friendly, humourous banter, allied to informative and knowledgable characters has diminished a little. Perhaps I'm intellectually (or sonically) spent...

Sounds like a forum I'd join.

It's all enough to make your toe ache. :)

John Duncan

scene said:
JD: Are we going to get the interesting and informative "Read count" back?

I found it useful to know how often a thread had been read, as opposed to replied to, as it was an indication of how relevant people found the post and how likely a post was to get a reply...

Not right now. It has a big impact on the database, and I'd want to be sure it could handle it before we did. You're right though, I liked it too.

There's a combination of problems here: Most of the subjects touched on has some validity.

I joined a forum for chewing over hi-fi, AV and other issues for amateur enthusiasts, but slowly but surely it's becoming a Q & A for the retailers. I have absolutely nothing against these guys... the spirit, however, is drawn away from the original concept.

scene

John Duncan said:
scene said:
JD: Are we going to get the interesting and informative "Read count" back?

I found it useful to know how often a thread had been read, as opposed to replied to, as it was an indication of how relevant people found the post and how likely a post was to get a reply...

Not right now. It has a big impact on the database, and I'd want to be sure it could handle it before we did. You're right though, I liked it too.

Another one to add to your list of Sisyphean tasks then JD ;)

scene

plastic penguin said:
There's a combination of problems here: Most of the subjects touched on has some validity. I joined a forum for chewing over hi-fi, AV and other issues for amateur enthusiasts, but slowly but surely it's becoming a Q & A for the retailers. I have absolutely nothing against these guys... the spirit, however, is drawn away from the original concept.

I think there is an element of that, which is a shame, but I would counter that there's still a lot of valid chat between enthusiasts on this site. I've gaines a lot of useful information and insight from threads here - and I feel duty bound to return the favour!

I think it's behoven on people like us to make this a friendly and welcoming place, full of enthusiasts. The more we do try, the more friendly it will become!

Now it's time to return to pushing that boulder uphill :)

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
As a relative newbie on this forum, just wanted to say thanks to What Hifi and its regular and irregular posters for the site and forum, which has helped me make some important buying decisions over the past few months.
Ok, I've had to disable rich-text to see what I'm writing now, but each decision made with the help of the forum has considerably increased my listening and viewing pleasure. Hats off to you, and for putting the effort and investment of time and money into making the whole site such a goldmine of product info and opinions. Thanks!

ps. Just had to buy a new shower enclosure for the bathroom - nightmare!! Big investment, they all look the same, and no "dealers" stock any demo models!! And couldn't find a "WhatShower.com" forum on the interweb. (If anyone interested, eventually went for a Twyford Hydr8, because wife liked the shape of the handles; but detecting some sybillance:)

A

Anonymous

it would be nice if the old smileys were back. and being able to put one of them in a thread heading again would be good.

scene

maxflinn said:
it would be nice if the old smileys were back. and being able to put one of them in a thread heading again would be good.

I too miss the old smileys :cry:

Though the amusing differences between the website when viewed here at work and at home do give some light relief - I'm still seeing "Il Cattivo" instead of Albert for max!

idc

Amadeus1756 said:
plastic penguin said:
Personally, I'm slightly disillusioned by certain people flexing their egoes. Additionally, the past year or so the forum hasn't been as much fun; the days of friendly, humourous banter, allied to informative and knowledgable characters has diminished a little.

As a recent joiner of the forum, I concur. There are some people on these forums who are obviously very knowledgable but seem to take joy in snide / sarcastic replies. It may be that there is a history between certain posters but it doesn't lead to a very welcoming atmosphere. Some of the rules seem a little Draconian to me.

Compared to another forum I frequent (motorbikes), there is a lot less friendly help and advice here (tho most of the users on the bike forum are hobbyists who have a passion that they want to share). Having said that, I've had a few replies to some of my posts that have been informed and very useful to me, for which I'm very grateful.

As for the new forum software, it seems ok to me - certainly doesn't put me off visiting.

Rgds

I joined a motorbike chat forum and found it to be the most flame ridden, abusive, sick site I have ever encountered. I wish I had sepnt more time reading the forum before I joined. Individual maker forums do seem to be much better.

The site goes through lively and lean periods and out of the top 10 most posts (excluding WHF staff), there is only JoelSim that I can think of, who is not posting. I have gone a few weeks with hardly any posts as well.

D

Deleted member 2457

idc said:
Amadeus1756 said:
plastic penguin said:
Personally, I'm slightly disillusioned by certain people flexing their egoes. Additionally, the past year or so the forum hasn't been as much fun; the days of friendly, humourous banter, allied to informative and knowledgable characters has diminished a little.

As a recent joiner of the forum, I concur. There are some people on these forums who are obviously very knowledgable but seem to take joy in snide / sarcastic replies. It may be that there is a history between certain posters but it doesn't lead to a very welcoming atmosphere. Some of the rules seem a little Draconian to me.

Compared to another forum I frequent (motorbikes), there is a lot less friendly help and advice here (tho most of the users on the bike forum are hobbyists who have a passion that they want to share). Having said that, I've had a few replies to some of my posts that have been informed and very useful to me, for which I'm very grateful.

As for the new forum software, it seems ok to me - certainly doesn't put me off visiting.

Rgds

I joined a motorbike chat forum and found it to be the most flame ridden, abusive, sick site I have ever encountered. I wish I had sepnt more time reading the forum before I joined. Individual maker forums do seem to be much better.

The site goes through lively and lean periods and out of the top 10 most posts (excluding WHF staff), there is only JoelSim that I can think of, who is not posting. I have gone a few weeks with hardly any posts as well.

Who is the top 10 (excluding WHF staff)?

Cheers

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
idc said:

I found that the idle chit-chat sections are as you found (which didn't entirely surprise me), so I avoid them; the sections about bikes, engines, maintenance, help etc (more comparable to this forum) were very different - people offering to drive for an hour to come to my house to help me fix an issue (which to them was trivially easy, but for someone who is not confident doing such things (i.e. me), it was a big stress).

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Who's Thegelman - as in Superman, Batman et al?? What the duce is a 'Thegel'? [insert 'confused' smiley - ie :S - here]

FWIW, me likey new site, especially its newfound compatibility with Safari, and the fact that it's so bright, and clean 'n' shiny :)

Need 'thumbs up' and 'confused' smileys, please
smiley-wink.gif
Actually, in hindsight, not keen on the 'winking' smiley - looks too much like a village idiot who's been blinded in one eye
smiley-surprised.gif

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I'm a computer/tech luddite and I've hardly noticed the changes. Apart from re-setting my "favourites" menu, the forums and site look fine. Yes, posting took a second or two longer to work than before, but so what?

The retailer's make it, at the very least, a more pluralistic place to visit, and as long as their sigs inform us of their day jobs (which they generally do), I haven't got a problem with that.

I don't know if I'm classed as a regular poster, but my recent absence has been due to a ghastly bout of "gastric flu". Things were so bad I couldn't drink tea or listen to music for four days. Little ones had a blast of it too. Now all passed, thankfully.

The site lives on and on.

A

Anonymous

scene said:
maxflinn said:

I too miss the old smileys :cry:

Though the amusing differences between the website when viewed here at work and at home do give some light relief - I'm still seeing "Il Cattivo" instead of Albert for max!
i wish i could get rid of albert, tuco suits me better :) , but jd only sees tuco so there is nothing he can do...

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't like the lay out I perfer the old look. It looked nicer... I kept quite ( Well not really) I just thought the I-Phone or an Androide APP would have been better.
smiley-frown.gif

Yea I know it is still a work in progress but I find I don't like the look.... I see if they have changed the look,then get frustrated at the lethagic text and then i'm gone. Sorry Thats how I feel. I can't wait till they fix it up.

D

Deleted member 2457

6th.replicant said:
Who's Thegelman - as in Superman, Batman et al?? What the duce is a 'Thegel'? [insert 'confused' smiley - ie :S - here]

FWIW, me likey new site, especially its newfound compatibility with Safari, and the fact that it's so bright, and clean 'n' shiny :)

Need 'thumbs up' and 'confused' smileys, please
smiley-wink.gif
Actually, in hindsight, not keen on the 'winking' smiley - looks too much like a village idiot who's been blinded in one eye
smiley-surprised.gif

Well he is certainly not a Superhero
smiley-smile.gif
, just a name i am had come across that i liked and it just an extended version of Gel - which i still want to be called but anyone is
smiley-cool.gif

Cheers
smiley-wink.gif

I have been trying to think of this top 10 that Idc mentioned:

Is this right:

1. Maximus

2. Professorhat

3. Chebster

4. Idc

5. Gerrardasnails

6. Dave

7. David

8. The_Lhc

9. PP

10. MatthewPiano

* not sure if this Joelsim is still a member? or else he would be in there too.

Is that right? Sorry if i have mis-spelt anyones name or missed anyone out, just done that of the top of my head
smiley-wink.gif

Cheers
smiley-smile.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Golly, why is everyone so obsessed with how many posts they've made? Just to be clear, there is no plan to introduce any form of ranking or seniority – the old forum ranking was just a default feature of the software we were using at the time, and served no useful purpose.

A

Anonymous

an anonymous thumbs up or thumbs down feature might be interesting :)

D

Deleted member 2457

scene said:
So gel, would you like a return of the old "Forum ranking" then? Maybe updated, like some other forums do, with acronyms for the different ranks... Suggestions welcome ;)

I don't mind what it is too be honest, i was just curious who the top 10 is.
smiley-smile.gif

I don't really know what other forums do to be honest, i am only on one other and have only just joined, so i am still trying to get used to it. What do you think then? and how do they work?

Cheers.

scene

I was just asking. But some forums have some more amusing acronyms...

But on AE's point, the ranking system in forum software is there to help you establish how regularly someone posts and how many posts they make. Some software has a more advanced system, as Max alludes too, where posts can be approved or disapproved - i.e. I found this helpful, I found this unhelpful. This ranking of posts is then carried forward to the user display to give statistics "27% of posts found helpful", "10% found unhelpful". This helps others evaluate the weighting they might give to a given poster's comments and is more useful than a bald this person has a lot of spare time, so posts a lot, kind of statistic.

D

Deleted member 2457

scene said:
I was just asking. But some forums have some more amusing acronyms...

But on AE's point, the ranking system in forum software is there to help you establish how regularly someone posts and how many posts they make. Some software has a more advanced system, as Max alludes too, where posts can be approved or disapproved - i.e. I found this helpful, I found this unhelpful. This ranking of posts is then carried forward to the user display to give statistics "27% of posts found helpful", "10% found unhelpful". This helps others evaluate the weighting they might give to a given poster's comments and is more useful than a bald this person has a lot of spare time, so posts a lot, kind of statistic.

Interesting, i am not sure about giving an opinion on somones every post but i have never seen it in play though. It is current form to i think it is abit plain and boring - a little to be honest. In its old form the old website, a little bit more interesting but not much difference to be honest - if any.

Do i think our opinions on this subject will count for anything - i doubt it.
smiley-smile.gif
perhaps if we could come up with something worthy and useful then i could carry some weight. Like i said though if i was being honest i do think it is a little plain and boring and present and if something useful could be added to jazz it up abit, then i would be for that - why not.
smiley-cool.gif

Cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
scene said:

You clearly spend too much time on forums, scene – but there really are no plans for such a system here.

TRENDING THREADS