When is an amp upgrade not an upgrade?

crocandy

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I want to upgrade my Denon 3805 but am not sure where to start looking in terms of price brackets. I payed £1500 for my amp but am now totally confused which price bracket amps to start looking at. I understand that technology gets cheaper over time and the newer amps offer an abundance of features that my old amp does not including HDMI and the newer sound formats. The Onkyo 608 has great reviews but is this any better than what i already have? Should i be looking at more expensive amps around the £1500 mark?

What i want to achieve from an upgrade is to make sure that sonically the newer amp is as good if not better than what i currently have and have access to the newer sound formats. I have always believed that you get what you pay for and In terms of price my maximum is £1500 but if i can achieve what i want to at a cheaper price all the better.

I currently have a PS3 slim, Canton CD 100s and 3 CD 50s and a Sony 40w4500.

idc

The only way to guarantee an upgrade, if one is even possible over what you have due to diminishing returns, is to audition. Contact some dealers and best would be a home audition. Next would to take your amp and any other kit they don't have to them.

Otherwise, even with advice off the forum, it is a bit of a shot in the dark.

Sliced Bread

I've not heard the 3805, however for what it is worth, when I upgraded from my Denon 3802 to the Onkyo 905, there was a world of difference! I have not heard the 608, however the 605 had a cleaner sound than my 3802. Personally I would look further up the range for a more dramatic improvement, although the 608 might surprise you. You may be able to find an 875 / 876 / 905 / 906 for a bargain price. But as the OP says, try a demo or get one with a money back guarantee.

theo12

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Great idea alienRik,

I have an 3805, and can not think of an upgrade for 2 or 3 more years as the sound I get is perfectly good.

crocandy,

I think an upgrade would cost you all of your budget and possibly more. Why?

The new Denon 3 series have dropped denon link. The denon 4th link which includes jitter reduction starts on the 4 series and they are north of £2k. So Alienrik's idea is cheaper and also a good chance to hear what you current amp has left to offer.

As always demos of new kit as previously suggested, including taking your amp for side by side comparison is even better. You might be surprised how good the 3805 still is. Bet the upgrade bug will get you in the end though!!!
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS