When do you think is a good time for speaker upgrade.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I had upgraded my setup from Naim Nait 5i & CD5i to Naim 202/200 & CDX2. I generally get better sound with my pair of Spendor S6. I am curious as it after swapping all my rig to a higher end model, does the speaker have to go? How do you know whether if the speaker is the limitation factor?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I tend to spend more on speakers than the other two. Although it is hard to say when you should upgrade, specially the lovely pair like what you have now.

I would say..if you can afford it then it would make sense to change the Spendor to something like Neat Momentum 4 or Kudos C2. and if budget tight, the S6 would be just fine for now.

A

Anonymous

nexski: How do you know whether if the speaker is the limitation factor?

I would just demo other speakers, maybe they just don't need changing and are good enough, Thaimans suggestions of Kudos and Neat are very valid, both will be excellent with your gear.

T

the record spot

Depends - I've had mine for a decade now (Mission 733i floorstanders) - they gained a 5-star review at the time from WHF; good with all types of music amongst other things and this was a major factor for me.

It still is today and I'm happy to say, the Missions are still going strong and still good with all types of music. I think they are a very transparent speaker - very revealing too. I'd expect a limitation on performance with some music, but equally, I'd have to spend a lot more to better them I think, or at least to gain significantly from where I'm at right now.

I use better source gear and think my (as was at the time) £330 was money very well spent. Currently standing at a cost of £33 a year - a bargain by any other name. If your speaker is performing well and lets the music come through well without adding any (or too much) character of its' own. Stick with it. Audition others by all means, but change for the sake of change is never a good idea IMO.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
99% of systems can be improved by changing one component. For me, its worth stopping when you are happy with the sound... :)

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
nexski:How do you know whether if the speaker is the limitation factor?

Speakers are generally the MOST limiting factor in the majority of systems...however, and it is a big however...if you are happy with how your system reproduces music and cannot actually identify any limiting factors then it is totally unnecessary to spend money.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input, i realize that all my previous rig come and go but i am still keeping the speaker as i simply like the way Spendor voice that speaker. Simply warm and non fatigue sound.

A

Anonymous

With the gear you have, I would be loathe to change, especially as you say you are happy with the sound.

Like record spot I also have been running a pair of mission 752 for over a decade and I still like the sound today, as I did way back when :)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Tear Drop:Speakers are generally the MOST limiting factor in the majority of systems....

So glad you added that 'generally', as that is a massive generalisation.
emotion-2.gif

But you're right on stopping when you're happy (at least for a while - spend the money on music instead): get a dose of the endlessly upgrading bug and it can spoil your enjoyment!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Tear Drop:Speakers are generally the MOST limiting factor in the majority of systems....

So glad you added that 'generally', as that is a massive generalisation.ÿ
emotion-2.gif

But you're right on stopping when you're happy (at least for a whileÿ - spend the money on music instead): get a dose of the endlessly upgrading bug and it can spoil your enjoyment!ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

Quite right. But so wrong too.

ÿ

Come to think of it, what is right????

ÿ

The best time for a speaker upgrade is when you think you can do better, but in your case you are probably looking to spend a fair chunk to match your components. I would seriously get an audition with your new stuff and some serious £2k+ speakers and that will give you an indication of whether you 'need' to upgrade. (No fun if you don't though)

ÿ

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:Depends - I've had mine for a decade now (Mission 733i floorstanders) - they gained a 5-star review at the time from WHF; good with all types of music amongst other things and this was a major factor for me.It still is today and I'm happy to say, the Missions are still going strong and still good with all types of music. I think they are a very transparent speaker - very revealing too. I'd expect a limitation on performance with some music, but equally, I'd have to spend a lot more to better them I think, or at least to gain significantly from where I'm at right now. I use better source gear and think my (as was at the time) £330 was money very well spent. Currently standing at a cost of £33 a year - a bargain by any other name. If your speaker is performing well and lets the music come through well without adding any (or too much) character of its' own. Stick with it. Audition others by all means, but change for the sake of change is never a good idea IMO.

ÿ

£33 a year minus the sell-on value.

That's one of the benefits of upgrading, not losing anything. The only thing I have lost money on is my first system, which i 'sold' to my dad for a nominal fee after about 15 years. Oh and the Arcam alpha 7 amp that got damaged in the post and I sportingly paid for the repair.

ÿOtherwise I think I'm pretty quids in so far

ÿ

ÿ

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

So glad you added that 'generally', as that is a massive generalisation.
emotion-2.gif

But you're right on stopping when you're happy (at least for a while - spend the money on music instead): get a dose of the endlessly upgrading bug and it can spoil your enjoyment!

Speakers as (large) transducers are most prone to distortion/colouration/alteration of a signal. Based upon experience a bad speaker can be the component to most 'choke' a systems performance - indeed, a REALLY bad speaker can obliterate good sound unlike anything else, no matter what the rest of a system consists of. Pre-amps are probably next in line as being 'limiting' factors. Which makes these two components the hardest to get right.

A

Anonymous

Before i let go my Nait 5i and CD5i , i had a dilemma in whether i should get 122/150 or 202/200. After some serious audit i realize the later is actually more superior and of course from CD5i to CDX2 the improvement is even more tremendous. Thus if i really have to upgrade my speaker i believe i really have to cough out significant among of money before i will be able to hear improvement. I think i have been pretty addicted by upgrade bug consider that i have change couple of my rig from 2004 ~ 2008. From Primare to the existing Naim. Perhaps i should simply buy more CDs for now on.

A

Anonymous

When do you think is a good time for speaker upgrade. ??

When you think 733i's are good....
emotion-3.gif

to get an idea on what your missing try some LS3/5a's

T

the record spot

JoelSim:

£33 a year minus the sell-on value.That's one of the benefits of upgrading, not losing anything.

Yes, very true; I hadn't considered that.

I think they could reach a relatively good sum but won't be using Ebay in the first instance. Free classified route for me initially. I'd need to compare what the current price would be using an index from the original £330 price. Not much more, but they were a well built speaker - they deserve a bit more than to go for £40 on Ebay IMO.

T

the record spot

Surfer:
When do you think is a good time for speaker upgrade. ??

When you think 733i's are good....
emotion-3.gif

to get an idea on what your missing try some LS3/5a's

Look, post nonsense or in ignorance by all means, but pick someone else's comments? This a prime example of elitist hi-fi snobbery at its' worst.

The original BBC monitor apparently had good articulation and soundstage but was hopeless at both frequency extremes. Never heard them myself, but this from Hi-Fi World's classics page. Hope you've got a subwoofer bolted on to that system of yours to get the extra sonic info through. That's assuming of course you're referring to those, the Rogers versions or the most recent Sterling reissue to the original design.

Have you heard the Missions? Obviously not else you wouldn't have posted this in the first place. Oh, top advice there I think!

You're preaching to the wrong audience here mate; been listening to too much hifi for too long to take posts like yours seriously.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:It is always a good time for a speaker upgrade - they just keep getting better and better the more you spend. This is not true of CD players and Amplifiers.......
emotion-2.gif

Can be John, I had some CD players that totally blew me away (and amps too)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
or if you really believe the hype...get an Ipod!

My current player (Sugden masterclass) can't be better by any cdp that cost £800! I wish they are out there and if you known of any just let me know so I can save some cash. oh and yes, the downgrading idea was a bad one! It didn't last long at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts