Question What's your next HiFi purchase?

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
Yes, I understand they're £7 each.

But I asked what it is that makes them 'better' than the factory supplied mains leads.
Sonically, because sonically is all that matters, these cords made the sound more 3D, cleaner sound, and broadened the sound stage. Not a lot of tweaks that can do all of that for £7.00.

Interpretations are mine of course but also not that a room full of people heard the same thing so having "golden ears" is not a requisite prior to a demo.

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
Sonically, because sonically is all that matters, these cords made the sound more 3D, cleaner sound, and broadened the sound stage. Not a lot of tweaks that can do all of that for £7.00.

Interpretations are mine of course but also not that a room full of people heard the same thing so having "golden ears" is not a requisite prior to a demo.
*note rather than not.

podknocker

Everybody's mains power comes from the same power station, wind turbines or solar panels, as everyone else in their neighbourhood. down the same power lines via the same sub station etc, then your own house wiring. That the last metre of cable might make a very noticeable difference, makes no sense.
Exactly. One of the cheapest and most effective ways of reducing noise is the careful use of ferrite rings. Spending a gazillion pounds on a mains lead, which just standard copper inside, is a daft idea. It's the same mindset that thinks expensive speaker wiring will be effective, when it's standard copper after the speaker binding posts. The signal leaves the amp and then gets 'polished' somehow, on its way to the speakers? Speaker terminals use various materials, but the crossovers and voice coil windings will be standard copper.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts