WhatHifi testing of devices

Lentsoe

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi, im not sure if this question has been asked before, but most likely. From a purist point of view, what constitutes to good quality audio files when Whathifi tests devices amplifiers, speakers. Or rather from what source is the music of sound derived? CD players? Ipods and if electronic what file types and codecs do you recommend?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Lentsoe said:
Hi, im not sure if this question has been asked before, but most likely. From a purist point of view, what constitutes to good quality audio files when Whathifi tests devices amplifiers, speakers. Or rather from what source is the music of sound derived? CD players? Ipods and if electronic what file types and codecs do you recommend?

Not sure what the first part of your post is asking.

In terms of computer based audio files then FLAC and ALAC are both lossless compressed file types which will deliver redbook CD quality identical to the original 16 bit 44.1 KHz CD from which they have been ripped. You can also buy various higher quality files (24 bit 96 KHz and above) right through to ther current flavour of the month which is DSD (Direct Stream Digital). The necessity of these higher resolution formats for hifi reproduction is however questionable and many people cannot tell the difference between these and redbook audio quality. I am one of these people.

Lentsoe said:

As I've visited WHFI a few years ago, I can explain the processes.

Firstly, they have two big testing rooms. One for two-channel hi-fi and the other for AV and testing TVs, projectors etc.

Secondly, they have a smaller room which they use for Ipads, pods, phones etc.

I can only vouch for hi-fi & AV room: They test everything from amps, speakers, CDPs, Streamers to traditional analogue stuff such as turntables.

Generally speaking, when testing an amp (or a CD player or a turntable), they'll use any amp/source they see fit to use: CDPs, all sorts of digital outlets and formats. They have various reference models (Budget to hi-end) of amps and speakers turntables, so whenever a new model arrives on their desk to add to the following months addition of the mag, they can gauge some sort of comparison.

Not sure if it answers your question, but it is generally like-for-like comparisons.

S

SemiChronic

Given many of the bias/outlandish/generic reviews, i doubt they even bother plugging in some of the kit.

SemiChronic said:
Given many of the bias/outlandish/generic reviews, i doubt they even bother plugging in some of the kit.
That may be your "belief" , but not one you can substantiate. Like PP, I visited the previous location and they definitely have plenty of comparable items and lots of visible software in the way of LPs, CDs and DVDs. I'm sure they have plenty of downloads too these days, which as mentioned above, are invariably stated in reviews.

Lentsoe said:
. Unfortunately the search function here isn't much use for the forum, but Google should help you find many threads along the lines of:- FLAC v WAV, cd or LP, is hires really better?, and so on.

Most of the tests of amps and dacs these days includes some MP3 quality files, not because they are the best but because many users have them.

Welcome to the forum!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
SemiChronic said:

Simply not true. We have three bespoke test rooms which we built (at considerable expense) in our new offices, we have a stockroom with a whole range of products at different prices for comparison and we test kit using CDs, a variety of standard and hi-res audio files (WAV, FLAC, ALAC), music streaming services such as Spotify and the CD-quality ones from Tidal and Qobuz.

And for video products we use DVD, Blu-ray, Sky and 4K streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
SemiChronic said:

Simply not true. We have three bespoke test rooms which we built (at considerable expense) in our new offices, we have a stockroom with a whole range of products at different prices for comparison and we test kit using CDs, a variety of standard and hi-res audio files (WAV, FLAC, ALAC), music streaming services such as Spotify and the CD-quality ones from Tidal and Qobuz.

And for video products we use DVD, Blu-ray, Sky and 4K streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon.

I would love to have a nosey around in that stockroom. Kid in a candy store springs to mind...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts