Question Devices for proper A/B testing?

mrob

Mar 7, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

I have different sources, but I could settle to one for this activity.
I have one pair of speaker; I might want to add another pair to test in the future.
I have 2 integrated amp which I want to compare.

What kind of device(s) would I need for proper A/B testing? My vision is to be able to set a few switches, start the music, and then flip a switch to compare the integrated amp. Or a other switch to compare the speakers.

My goal being to be able to compare amps, speakers, from same source, with as little delay as possible.

Such devices must exist; but the only one I've seen is a very complex at the store, and didn't think asking what it was...

Do you have any recommended device to achieve this? Ideally one that does not introduce noise nor affect sound (passive).

Thanks!

Mrob

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

I have different sources, but I could settle to one for this activity.
I have one pair of speaker; I might want to add another pair to test in the future.
I have 2 integrated amp which I want to compare.

What kind of device(s) would I need for proper A/B testing? My vision is to be able to set a few switches, start the music, and then flip a switch to compare the integrated amp. Or a other switch to compare the speakers.

My goal being to be able to compare amps, speakers, from same source, with as little delay as possible.

Such devices must exist; but the only one I've seen is a very complex at the store, and didn't think asking what it was...

Do you have any recommended device to achieve this? Ideally one that does not introduce noise nor affect sound (passive).

Thanks!

Mrob
Do you have 2 sets of terminals on the back of your speakers ? if so you can connect 2 diffrents Amps too the same speakers if this would be of help to you.just dont have both Amps on at the same time connected too the same source i tried this using optical cable and RCA with 2 Amps and the same speakers.

Unless I am misunderstanding the previous post, please don't do as it suggests. Two sets of binding posts means a speaker can be biwired/biamped - it is not two paths to driving the entire speaker. Connecting two amps at the same time is not a good idea.

You can get RCA splitters that could be used to send outputs from the same source to different amps, and some amps have outputs for two speakers, though ideally you should switch between, not use both at once.

Oh, and some rare beasts have more than one output - my previous CDP had two.

mrob

Mar 7, 2023
Visit site
I don't need / want both sending to speakers at once :)

My goal would be to either switch speakers to compare 2 speaker pairs (from same amp), or to switch amp and compare both on same speakers, to compare both amps.

I found a switcher with amp A/B and speakers A/B, and they use 4TPD switch so I think that's what I'm looking for one one end.
Then I need another one to send, let's say, CD in both amp, so in the end, I would just select same input on both amp, and toggle amp or speaker, depending...

Solupeak P3 - That should work... I think?

Gray

A 1 in, 2 out speaker switchbox would switch either one amp to one of two pairs of speakers,
or either of two amps to one pair of speakers....so would do all that you want on the output side of things.

On the input side, ideally you'd have a similar 1 in, 2 out signal switcher - switching the music source to one amp or the other.
You could just split the source into both amps...but that would be messing with impedances - which might just be an unfair advantage to one or other amp.

Whatever else you do, don't connect 2 amps to one speaker pair, even if you wouldn't have both amps switched on.

Reactions: WayneKerr and mrob

Gray

A speaker is a output if the Amp is not Live There is no output Simples.
A speaker output often remains connected to the amplifier's internal components, whether or not it's 'live'.
He shouldn't connect the output of another amplifier to those components (as he doesn't want any influence on each amp as he tests them).

One amp to one pair of speakers at a time (y)

mrob

Mar 7, 2023
Visit site
A 1 in, 2 out speaker switchbox would switch either one amp to one of two pairs of speakers,
or either of two amps to one pair of speakers....so would do all that you want on the output side of things.

On the input side, ideally you'd have a similar 1 in, 2 out signal switcher - switching the music source to one amp or the other.
You could just split the source into both amps...but that would be messing with impedances - which might just be an unfair advantage to one or other amp.

Whatever else you do, don't connect 2 amps to one speaker pair, even if you wouldn't have both amps switched on.

So, I basically need 2 devices - one to control which amp is active (output) and one to route to the active amp (input).

That makes sense. I suppose this is somewhat what the dealer had as a setup. He probably even had 3, to also switch speakers, and another (fourth) device where he said "this source", "this amp", "these speakers". It is true he had to set 3 things (kind of a route controller).

Now, writing this down, I would be concerned about affecting sound if I add anything other than the 2 most important (input and output).

I will think about this, maybe I'll just stick to what I have for now.

Thanks!

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts