What would you like to see more of in the magazine?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
TheYellowPeril:
With all the adverts, listings and review history at the back, I'm often dissappointed that there is very little magazine in comparison.

As Richard's mentioned elsewhere, we're currently redesigning our Buyer's Guide at the back of the magazine to be more compact - that means more pages for reviews and features in the front of the mag. Expect to see that from the November issue, out 18th September (the gods of databases willing!)

That will be followed by even more tweaks to bring you yet more content every issue, so keep the feedback coming!

A

Anonymous

All good ideas bigblue235...but can a What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision cover really cause a raised eyebrow?

I think it might be the 'other' magazines that you slip past the checkout assistant...
emotion-5.gif

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Richard Melville:

All good ideas bigblue235...but can a What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision cover really cause a raised eyebrow?

I think it might be the 'other' magazines that you slip past the checkout assistant...
emotion-5.gif

Hehe, that's what I was getting at, What Hi-Fi? is about the only mag that doesn't cause any embarrassment!
emotion-1.gif

Even the likes of T3 and Stuff often look like a mag from a higher shelf, and cause an eyebrow to be raised in a fashion that Roger Moore would be proud of. I've had to stop buying Boys Toys altogether because it looks and sounds like something else entirely!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
bigblue235:Richard Melville:

emotion-5.gif

Hehe, that's what I was getting at, What Hi-Fi? is about the only mag that doesn't cause any embarrassment!
emotion-1.gif

Even the likes of T3 and Stuff often look like a mag from a higher shelf, and cause an eyebrow to be raised in a fashion that Roger Moore would be proud of. I've had to stop buying Boys Toys altogether because it looks and sounds like something else entirely!

...then there is Bizarre! But yes, definitely right. My favourite other mag T3 does tend to go OTT on the cover! Which is crazy, as the motorbike mag I sometimes get BIKE, is usually a picture of ...a motorbike.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:I would like to see reviews of more stuff that wasn't volunteered by the manufacturer

We'll hotwire an old Range Rover and get ram-raiding. Anything for our readers...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:amer187:hot chcks
Yum... you're right though, probably better off on cookery magazines and the like rather than WHF...

ÿ

Erm Avid use a hot chick to advertise their turntable. It kind of detracts from the 'sound quality is everything' message that most people seek for top level hif. Just my opinion, she looks great but it doesn't do much for me on their products if they have to use a bikini -clad lovely to support their product. Now if that were for a Club 18-30 holiday...

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
fr0g:I would like to see reviews of more stuff that wasn't volunteered by the manufacturer

We'll hotwire an old Range Rover and get ram-raiding. Anything for our readers...

ÿ

Good man Andrew, I've been waiting for you to say that. Could you get me a Krell pre/power (not fussy on which model). That will probably just about fit in the boot.

ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Since it seems that reviewers and some tech people think there are subtle differences with things like HDMI cables and HDMI amplifier inputs, which seem to go beyond just a lower of higher error rate(1) It'd be fascinating to see an article by one of the engineers explaining mechanisms that can cause this. With analog signals, it's easy to see various possible causes for subtle differences between different bits of equipment. For the purely digital bits, it's hard to see how you can do anything other than increase the bit error rate, which ought to give a range between 'perfect' and 'totally trashed' - but shouldn't be able to do *different* subtle things to video or audio since the digital transport stages don't know what the bits mean or how they relate to later bits.

If an engineer could come up with a mechanism that explained _how_ you could get different subtle effects, it would make a very interesting article.

(1) I have no problem believing that some HDMI cables work better than others, especially for longer ones. What I don't understand is how you could achieve some of the more subtle differences reported; doesn't mean the differences aren't there, but if they are, it should be possible for an expert to come up with an explanation that explains how it could happen :) which would make me a lot happier.

A

Anonymous

There are already plenty of ideas, it shows there could be change in the house of WHF! I would definitely approve if they reduced the size and frequency of the LCD TV reviews, and looked at smaller areas of the market such as turntable/ computer. I buy the mag every month and am always quietly disappointed when the biggest review section is TV's. Maybe you could have a monthly top five of each of the popular screen sizes with good points and bad points? Every so often (3-4 months) conduct a major test. I know it's an important factor at the moment with HD and all, but does it need to be so constant?

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
I too would like to see less reviews of TVs. I appreciate that it is probably the most likely item most people will be buying Freeview HD will be rolled out etc but I think that there is too much at the expense of other areas.

I appreciate that What Hii-Fi Sound & Vision? has a product driven format. But I'd like to see columns discussing new technologies eg OLED etc. Interviews with key industry figures, behind the scenes at the major manufacturers etc. Also more dedicated to accessories etc - I mean how often do we actually buy new components?

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

I agree the danger is the mag becomes quantity over quality. I'd like to see more "objective" data provided in reviews to assist with the product selection process. I don't mind subjective opinion but it does concern me that this is somtimes misguided and at the expense of the full facts.

There was a two page spread in the Sep08 issue about HDMI cables that provided very little real information or objective assesment on the difference between a range of cables spanning £50-£200.

What type of reader is WhatHiFi? targeting ?

A

Anonymous

jerryC:

Since it seems that reviewers and some tech people think there are subtle differences with things like HDMI cables and HDMI amplifier inputs, which seem to go beyond just a lower of higher error rate(1) It'd be fascinating to see an article by one of the engineers explaining mechanisms that can cause this. With analog signals, it's easy to see various possible causes for subtle differences between different bits of equipment. For the purely digital bits, it's hard to see how you can do anything other than increase the bit error rate, which ought to give a range between 'perfect' and 'totally trashed' - but shouldn't be able to do *different* subtle things to video or audio since the digital transport stages don't know what the bits mean or how they relate to later bits.

If an engineer could come up with a mechanism that explained _how_ you could get different subtle effects, it would make a very interesting article.

(1) I have no problem believing that some HDMI cables work better than others, especially for longer ones. What I don't understand is how you could achieve some of the more subtle differences reported; doesn't mean the differences aren't there, but if they are, it should be possible for an expert to come up with an explanation that explains how it could happen :) which would make me a lot happier.

I also struggle with this as I posted elsewhere. Here's what one high quality cable manufacturer has to say on the subject of HDMI -

"Unlike analog cables, DVI and HDMI video cables will usually either be 100% perfect, or have obvious problems that make them unusable, that is to say that their acceptability is also "digital". Analog signals can suffer from a wide variety of subtle problems that can additively result in a visible but unacceptable picture."

http://www.dvigear.com/documents/DVIGear_HDMI_1.3_Cables_-_A_Look_Under_the_Hood_v2.pdf

It really does make be ponder the credibility of reports that describe noticeable differences in colour, motion, sharpness etc due to different (even short length) HDMI cables. Like you I do not believe all cables are manufactired to the same standard but I would also welcome an article on how the subtle differences described in the reviews are possible. Maybe some simple example tests from WhatHiFi? that we can try at home that show these differences.

AVI

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I too would like to see more hi-fi articles.

Scenario: I walk into Smiths and go to the hi-fi magazines. What Hi-Fi has a picture of a big telly on the front. Hi-Fi Choice has a new mid-price CD player and bookshelf speakers on the front. Hi-Fi+ has something which looks like hi-fi equipment but I just have to look at it to know that I can't afford it. Which magazine am I going to buy? It's not a tough choice. Not wishing to be too hard on your magazine, but I just don't care about plasma screens and AV amps.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi Guys,

After flicking through some WHF? back issues recently,i'm not sure what you think,but to me there's a lack of interviews with manufacturer's designers,technicians/technical-directors.Perhaps the WHF? technical team could include a short Q&A or interview with these designers in a review of a new product - Preferrably without too much promotional spiel from their business & marketing departments.

I,for one,would be interested to know how manufacturers approach design,what technical hurdles had to be overcome & what solutions had to be devised before the release of a new model or range.

What d'you reckon?

BABUR.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Richard Melville:More thoughts, people? All feedback welcome! Oh and DistortedVision, you'll like next issue - on sale 21st August.

Ah turntables... but what I would like to see is a cartridge and tonearm group test. These never seem to get reviewed.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Soundbars pitched against wireless cinema speakers and accompaning sub woofers in weird shaped rooms for that ultimate test. Not all living rooms are square or rectangular!

A

Anonymous

Our aim is always to cover as much of any product as possible.

With both print and web space at our disposal, you'll see more of everything covered in the future...just watch this space

Messiah

Can we not just have 'What Hi-Fi' back and not 'What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision'???

I suppose though that most of the comments posted are from proper enthusiasts and the mag needs to appeal to a wider range of customers to meet it's sales targets....

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
I'd like to see some hard data about why one cable works better than another, rather than just the subjective opinion of the reviewers eyes and ears, there must be a more scientific way of determining a cables performance?

Some investigative journalism, perhaps a piece on the Onkyo 875s that have apparently been catching fire?

Reviewing retailers and there customer service, especially online ones?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Why specifically on cables? Like everything else in the magazine they're team-tesed and usually blind-tested, so we're confident in our assessment of them.

The Onkyo thing? When we're convinced there is a real and significant problem with any piece of equiooment, we'll look into it. For now we have brought this problem to the attention of the company's UK office, and the company says it's waiting to hear from the customers affected.

Retailer reviewing? We tried that years back, and readers didn't seem too interested - but we do have a section on the site for your feedback on retailers.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
TheLastManWithBetamax:I'd like to see some hard data about why one cable works better than another, rather than just the subjective opinion of the reviewers eyes and ears, there must be a more scientific way of determining a cables performance?Some investigative journalism, perhaps a piece on the Onkyo 875s that have apparently been catching fire?Reviewing retailers and there customer service, especially online ones?

HFN do all that lab testing stuff, and it makes me sleepy. Zzzzzzzzzz.

I'd rather go plane spotting with the other bunch.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS