What will the difference be......ordering a Sony 4K TV using the Sony BDP-S790 4K Player but using Blu-ray Discs and not 4K Blu-ray Discs?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Popped into a Sony Centre in Woking today since we walked past and they had one showing the 4K demo (lots of pretty flowers and plants). Whilst it looked very nice, I certainly wouldn't be paying £4k for a 55" TV to have it (or £6k for a 65"), even if 4K material to watch was plentiful.

Didn't get to see 1080p or standard def as (a) I doubt they would have re-hooked it up to a standard def source for me to see and (b) given there were other customers, it would have been very unfair to use up their time to do so.

D

Deleted member 2457

Bit more about it here:

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/sony-bravia-kd-55x9005a-p15201/sony-kd-55x9005a-uhd-tv-image-quality-upscaling-n30266.html

Full review Monday.

D

Deleted member 2457

mr malarky said:
gel said:
mr malarky said:
gel said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
Our Panasonic store closed too. Our Sony store is still there but only just by the looks of it!

In that case may I suggest that you go to your local Sony store pretty damn quickly! I hope that it does have the 65" 4K Sony television on display. Make sure that you see true 4K content, not upscaled Blu-Ray or broadcast HIgh Definition.

They don't have it on demo - stock was very limited when I was in last! I will try again next time though.

Yep, had a demo today, they now have stock. Pretty good!

Which Sony store was that? (in case its fairly local).

Milton Keynes - they have the 65 inch on demo.

Thanks Gel, am down in Surrey so Milton Keynes is a bit of a stretch (unless I pass that way for work). Will keep an eye out for one around here.

Our local Currys has the 55 inch too.

D

Deleted member 2457

These really dig the Sony:

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/sony-bravia-x9-kd-55x9005a-p15201/test.html#full-review

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Yes, that is exactly what bigboss was saying, and he is correct.

With a slight element of unwholesome malice, I'd really like ontheline to return to this thread to tell us all how right he was about non-4K content looking good on a 4K screen, and how wrong the rest of us (apart from Gamemaker) were. Somehow I'm not holding my breath.

THE END.

As an epilogue, I've viewed 1080p content upscaled to 4k on a calibrated LG 84LM9600. (The opening scene of The Dark Knight Rises, to be specific.)

It looked as good as 1080p content on a 1080p TV, but no argument for buying a 4k TV right now can be made on the back of this observation. You might as well buy a 1080p TV for less and view the same content with no perceptible difference in image quality.

D3CYPH3R

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Yes, that is exactly what bigboss was saying, and he is correct.

With a slight element of unwholesome malice, I'd really like ontheline to return to this thread to tell us all how right he was about non-4K content looking good on a 4K screen, and how wrong the rest of us (apart from Gamemaker) were. Somehow I'm not holding my breath.

THE END.

As an epilogue, I've viewed 1080p content upscaled to 4k on a calibrated LG 84LM9600. (The opening scene of The Dark Knight Rises, to be specific.)

It looked as good as 1080p content on a 1080p TV, but no argument for buying a 4k TV right now can be made on the back of this observation. You might as well buy a 1080p TV for less and view the same content with no perceptible difference in image quality.

Was that an 84" 1080P vs and 84" 4k set comparrison?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The largest 1080p TV at the event was 60". However, we could get right up close to the screens and there didn't seem any difference in terms of detail, picture noise, etc.

I assume you're not suggesting that 1080p content will look better on an 84" 4k television than on an 84" 1080p television? It's always preferable to display content at native resolution; though the 4k upscaling in this instance was very good and there were no appreciable ill effects. The results may be very different with SD content, however, as Son_of_SJ observes.

D3CYPH3R

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
gel said:

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/sony-bravia-x9-kd-55x9005a-p15201/test.html#full-review

Will be interesting to see WHF's thoughts on the 55 as they quoted the 65 as having weakness in blacks and colour, where as they review measured the 55 as near on perfect.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
D3CYPH3R said:
gel said:

Will be interesting to see WHF's thoughts on the 55 as they quoted the 65 as having weakness in blacks and colour, where as they review measured the 55 as near on perfect.

The five star rating seems a little odd to me, since digitalversus rates important aspects of picture performance lower. Overall 2D picture quality and clouding are each awarded four star ratings.

D3CYPH3R

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
D3CYPH3R said:
gel said:

The five star rating seems a little odd to me, since digitalversus rates important aspects of picture performance lower. Overall 2D picture quality and clouding are each awarded four star ratings.

they lowered the clouding rating purely based on the tech, they said the actual performance was fine

"The KD-55X9005A doesn't present any clouding issues. With LED Dynamic Control on, the black uniformity is perfect. However, Edge LED TVs generally being more subject to clouding, we have to give it four out of five stars here."

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
D3CYPH3R said:
strapped for cash said:
D3CYPH3R said:
gel said:

they lowered the clouding rating purely based on the tech, they said the actual performance was fine

"The KD-55X9005A doesn't present any clouding issues. With LED Dynamic Control on, the black uniformity is perfect. However, Edge LED TVs generally being more subject to clouding, we have to give it four out of five stars here."

that doesn't make sense, either it suffers from clouding or it doesn't. If it doesn't then don't deduct a star for it.

Or am I missing something obvious?

mr malarky said:
D3CYPH3R said:
strapped for cash said:
D3CYPH3R said:
gel said:

that doesn't make sense, either it suffers from clouding or it doesn't. If it doesn't then don't deduct a star for it.

Or am I missing something obvious?

+1 :)

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
mr malarky said:
that doesn't make sense

In keeping with most of this thread.

smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS