What will the difference be......ordering a Sony 4K TV using the Sony BDP-S790 4K Player but using Blu-ray Discs and not 4K Blu-ray Discs?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I don't think you're understanding my point at all. I have no doubt that 4K is far superior to anything on the market today. But I will not buy it until I know there is 4K material available to watch. It is quite possible that 4K will be widely available in the UK in 2-3 years' time. I'll think of buying a 4K TV then. I'm not going to buy a 4K TV when I know there's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING available in 4K resolution in the UK.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
However, I'm now very keen for someone else to go into their local Sony Centre and see the blessed £6K 65" 4K television, showing true 4K content. I would like to be reassured that someone else found the 4K television more impressive than I did, and I'll be happy to stand corrected if my opinion is in the minority.

To repeat, I'm keen for someone else, perhaps even Gamemaker, perhaps especially Gamemaker, to see the 65" Sony at their Sony Centre and be prepared to be impressed. I don't want to be the only person on this forum who has actually seen the Sony.

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
Gamemaker said:
I think what hi fi has done it internally but not on a public platform.

Actually, it has:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/come-and-see-ultra-hd-4k-in-action-at-the-bristol-show-%E2%80%93%C2%A0plus-%C2%A310k-of-prizes-to-be-won

I couldn't go because I was working that weekend.

I was thinking more of the 65 and preferably 55 inch x9005 with the magnetic fluid speaker and triluminous equiped set, it is newer design and view along side similar size TVs in a lab environment. Doubleblind testing to test public acuity to 4k. In particular the distances the sets were viewed is paramount in results interpretation.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I've viewed an LG 84LM960 playing 1080p and native 4k content. It was set up alongside various 1080p plasma and LED TVs. All TVs were professionally calibrated and viewed in a light controlled environment. Does that count?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Gamemaker said:
Movies at the cinema is still unbeatable! 4K projector and breathtaking professionally calibrated 7.1 sound, and theater acoustic consideration that would be difficult to duplicate in the home and at considerable cost.

Well, I can't comment on a 4K projector, since I've not seen one yet, but certainly quite a number of cinemas that I've seen recently are definitely beatable, in terems of both audio and video, and I'd happily put my parlour and kitchen sound systems against the sound systems in most commercial cinemas that I've visited in the last three years.

Gamemaker said:
The TV is now largely for games, social networking, Sky sports. I think any survey data would justify the points.

Eh??? Where on earth do you get your survey data from? I agree about using the TV to watch Sky sports, and gaming may be popular with some peole, but I flatly disagree about a main purpose of a television being social networking. Perhaps my friends have different habits from your friends, but oddly enough most people I know use their televisions to watch television broadcast programmes or to watch DVDs and Blur-Ray films, and I know only two people who game. I don't know anyone who uses the television mainly for social networking.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I have no idea what Gamemaker wants to achieve with this thread, despite considerable effort to decipher his/her posts. The best I can come up with is that Gamemaker is looking for justification to buy a 4k television at the highest possible premium.

On the basis that it might draw this thread to a close, I'd urge Gamemaker to buy the most expensive 4k television he/she can find, in order to take advantage of the wealth of 4k content now available to UK consumers, including 4k social networking. I sense this is the only answer that will suffice.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Son_of_SJ said:
However, I'm now very keen for someone else to go into their local Sony Centre and see the blessed £6K 65" 4K television, showing true 4K content. I would like to be reassured that someone else found the 4K television more impressive than I did, and I'll be happy to stand corrected if my opinion is in the minority.

To repeat, I'm keen for someone else, perhaps even Gamemaker, perhaps especially Gamemaker, to see the 65" Sony at their Sony Centre and be prepared to be impressed. I don't want to be the only person on this forum who has actually seen the Sony.

Unfortunately our local Sony store closed down about a year ago, as did our local Panasonic store. Sign of the times I guess.

D

Deleted member 2457

mr malarky said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Son_of_SJ said:

Unfortunately our local Sony store closed down about a year ago, as did our local Panasonic store. Sign of the times I guess.

Our Panasonic store closed too. Our Sony store is still there but only just by the looks of it!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Our Panasonic store closed too. Our Sony store is still there but only just by the looks of it!

In that case may I suggest that you go to your local Sony store pretty damn quickly! I hope that it does have the 65" 4K Sony television on display. Make sure that you see true 4K content, not upscaled Blu-Ray or broadcast HIgh Definition.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Oh dera

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sony-says-no-plans-to-bring-4k-media-player-to-uk

with no plans for 4k content in the uk looks like for the uk consumer it's a no go. On the bright side we don't get pulled into a 'live test' to see if it will survive or not. Might be worth mentioning that the US generally have bigger sets than us Brits so it might be more beneficial out there and Japan/Korea than to us

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

In that case may I suggest that you go to your local Sony store pretty damn quickly! I hope that it does have the 65" 4K Sony television on display. Make sure that you see true 4K content, not upscaled Blu-Ray or broadcast HIgh Definition.

They don't have it on demo - stock was very limited when I was in last! I will try again next time though.

rocketrazor said:
Oh dear

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sony-says-no-plans-to-bring-4k-media-player-to-uk

with no plans for 4k content in the uk looks like for the uk consumer it's a no go. On the bright side we don't get pulled into a 'live test' to see if it will survive or not. Might be worth mentioning that the US generally have bigger sets than us Brits so it might be more beneficial out there and Japan/Korea than to us

Will be interesting to note Gamemaker's / z058261's response to this. :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Indeed, but while we wait in vain for a concession from Gamemaker / z058261 that 4K, for the moment at least, would not be a good move for a UK resident, do any other manufacturers plan to bring a 4K media player to the UK? Pardon my ignorance, I just don't know.

Son_of_SJ said:
Indeed, but while we wait in vain for a concession from Gamemaker / z058261 that 4K, for the moment at least, would not be a good move for a UK resident, do any other manufacturers plan to bring a 4K media player to the UK? Pardon my ignorance, I just don't know.

No other major manufacturer has announced 4K media players. Only a 4K media player isn't enough; you also need 4K content. Sony is the best placed company capable of providing that at the moment. According to the news story,

"While clearly 4K content availablility remains an issue, Sony was keen to stress its better placed than any company to offer a complete solution from"lens to the living-room", thanks is camera, production and distribution, through to its 4K digital cinemas and 4K TVs and projectors."

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

They don't have it on demo - stock was very limited when I was in last! I will try again next time though.

Yep, had a demo today, they now have stock. Pretty good!

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

Which Sony store was that? (in case its fairly local).

D

Deleted member 2457

mr malarky said:
gel said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

Milton Keynes - they have the 65 inch on demo.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
mr malarky said:
gel said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

We should have one shortly as well.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
mr malarky said:
gel said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

Thanks Gel, am down in Surrey so Milton Keynes is a bit of a stretch (unless I pass that way for work). Will keep an eye out for one around here.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Good news and bad news. The good news is that I was in John Lewis on Thursday, and they had the television, full model number Sony KD55X9005ABU 55" 4K LED, cost £4K. I was more impressed with this 55" version than I had been with the 65" version in the Sony store. In John Lewis, they were showing mainly demonstration 4K material, which I must say did look very good on the 55" screen. I got home and played the demonstation montage material from my Spears and Munsil Blu-Ray test disc on both my 64" Samsung in the parlour and the 60" LG in the kitchen, and I'm happy
smiley-smile.gif
to concede that probably the 4K material, on the 55" Sony in John Lewis, did look a bit better (though not overwhelminghly better) than the Spears and Munsil disc as shown on my large televisions. (Why I hadn't been as impressed with the 65" 4K Sony in the Sony shop about a week ago, I'm not sure, although I did not see the same 4K material on both the Sony screens, maybe the John Lewis 4K demonstration material was simply better than the Sony store 4K demonstration material?

The bad news concerns how the 4K televisions look when displaying non-4K material. I had asked, but in the Sony store, with the 65" TV, they were not able, or chose not to, show non-4K material, though I did ask. In John Lewis, they kindly agreed to show non-4K material on the 55" screen. With broadcast High-Definition material, I think it was STV HD, I have to say that the 55" 4K Sony looked slightly worse than an ordinary 47" (I think) Full HD LED television showing the same channel, and worse than STV HD looks on my own televisions at home. But the real bad news relates to Standard Definition material. John Lewis kindly agreed to change the broadcast channel from STV HD to STV. The ordinary 47" television of course showed the drop in resolution from HD to SD. it didn't look too good. But on the 4K television, the SD broadcast channel STV looked - well, I can do no better than to quote from bigboss on post number 5 of this thread:

bigboss said:
Also, SD content will look terrible on a 4K TV, due to the amount of upscaling involved.

In post number 8, the person who started this thread, ontheline (who seems to have disappeared, maybe he is "enjoying" his new 65" 4K television, especially with non-4K content) had said:

ontheline said:
but it should make a considerable difference. sd content looks great upscaled

He couldn't be more wrong if he had said that water is not wet.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Good news and bad news. The good news is that I was in John Lewis on Thursday, and they had the television, full model number Sony KD55X9005ABU 55" 4K LED, cost £4K. I was more impressed with this 55" version than I had been with the 65" version in the Sony store. In John Lewis, they were showing mainly demonstration 4K material, which I must say did look very good on the 55" screen. I got home and played the demonstation montage material from my Spears and Munsil Blu-Ray test disc on both my 64" Samsung in the parlour and the 60" LG in the kitchen, and I'm happy
smiley-smile.gif
to concede that probably the 4K material, on the 55" Sony in John Lewis, did look a bit better (though not overwhelminghly better) than the Spears and Munsil disc as shown on my large televisions. (Why I hadn't been as impressed with the 65" 4K Sony in the Sony shop about a week ago, I'm not sure, although I did not see the same 4K material on both the Sony screens, maybe the John Lewis 4K demonstration material was simply better than the Sony store 4K demonstration material?

The bad news concerns how the 4K televisions look when displaying non-4K material. I had asked, but in the Sony store, with the 65" TV, they were not able, or chose not to, show non-4K material, though I did ask. In John Lewis, they kindly agreed to show non-4K material on the 55" screen. With broadcast High-Definition material, I think it was STV HD, I have to say that the 55" 4K Sony looked slightly worse than an ordinary 47" (I think) Full HD LED television showing the same channel, and worse than STV HD looks on my own televisions at home. But the real bad news relates to Standard Definition material. John Lewis kindly agreed to change the broadcast channel from STV HD to STV. The ordinary 47" television of course showed the drop in resolution from HD to SD. it didn't look too good. But on the 4K television, the SD broadcast channel STV looked - well, I can do no better than to quote from bigboss on post number 5 of this thread:

bigboss said:
Also, SD content will look terrible on a 4K TV, due to the amount of upscaling involved.

In post number 8, the person who started this thread, ontheline (who seems to have disappeared, maybe he is "enjoying" his new 65" 4K television, especially with non-4K content) had said:

ontheline said:
but it should make a considerable difference. sd content looks great upscaled

He couldn't be more wrong if he had said that water is not wet.

nice piece son_of_sj, it backs up what everyone has been saying. Yes with 4k content a 4k tv will be worthwhile, but with no 4k content it's just not worth getting. Until 4k content is widely available in the uk a full hd tv is perfect for us Brits

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
From post number 11 of this thread, ontheline said:

ontheline said:
are you saying when i get the 4k tv hook up my s790 and stick in a standard dvd it will look terrible?

Yes, that is exactly what bigboss was saying, and he is correct.

With a slight element of unwholesome malice, I'd really like ontheline to return to this thread to tell us all how right he was about non-4K content looking good on a 4K screen, and how wrong the rest of us (apart from Gamemaker) were. Somehow I'm not holding my breath.

THE END.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts