What will the difference be......ordering a Sony 4K TV using the Sony BDP-S790 4K Player but using Blu-ray Discs and not 4K Blu-ray Discs?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Well-known member
Sep 10, 2009
325
0
18,890
mr malarky said:
Ontheline, if your still not convinced then here's a simple test - you've probably got an HD TV? If so then it will have a video scaler built in. If upscaling gives the same quality as HD source material then you should see no difference flicking between BBC1 and BBC1HD; so start watching a programme and then switch between the two channels every few minutes, and see if you can see a difference. Have a go and see what you think?

That's a test that I often do to show people how much better BBC1 HD is than ordinary standard definition BBC1. Excellent reasoning, Mr Malarky! :grin:
 
mr malarky said:
BenLaw said:
mr malarky said:
I think its a question of 'stretch' ben, stretch the source material a little and it looks ok, stretch it too far and the cracks start to show - SD content stretched to a large UHD screen that SD content was never designed for will not look as good as SD content on a native SD resolution screen

I agree with that, but as with the question about a small 4k TV, isn't the problem screen size rather than number of pixels? If using blu rays then 100% a 1920 x 1080 screen should be best. But if upscaling from sd, why would a 60" (or 32") 4k TV look any worse than a 60" (or 32") HD TV?

Good question! Logically I'd say its because the upscaling software is having to extrapolate (ie 'guess') four times as many 'missing' pixels in the source data (or plug four times as many gaps), but would be interesting to see the two side by side to find out.

Agreed. The upscaling software has to "guess" the picture to fill in the extra pixels. More pixels means more guesswork.
 

Son_of_SJ

Well-known member
Sep 10, 2009
325
0
18,890
ontheline said:
like probaly many others i can't wait to get my hands on Sony's new 65'' 4K 3D TV.

Not quite sure who or where these "many others" are, but by now you'll have seen that they are definitely not the people who have responded in this thread! Most of us can certainly wait.
 

Son_of_SJ

Well-known member
Sep 10, 2009
325
0
18,890
ontheline said:
like probaly many others i can't wait to get my hands on Sony's new 65'' 4K 3D TV. I have already pre ordered mine

Hmmm, this thread has been quiet for about six weeks. You said that you had pre-ordered your 65" Sony 4K television. You will have read the What Hi-Fi review, maybe the relevant three pages in the August 2013 issue of the physical magazine or online, here http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-kd-65x9005a

I'm assuming that your lelevision, having been pre-ordered, has now arrived. Is it as good (especially with non-4K source material) as you had hoped? Maybe you can convert the sceptics :cheer: , including me, who have taken part in this thread!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
The 4k blu ray release as What Hi fi have also commented on will have implied improved colour reproduction; and beyond the Rec 709 mastering standard threshold. If you play the 4k mastering disk on your Sony player you'll have the best of the 'high resolution' and the colour as the new x9 set also have the wide colour gamut trilumious thing. Sony's x reality pro engine have been reported as very good at the upscale department with any bluray.

You suppose to see the colours on the 4k disk as good as the digital sourced mastering of the film. But how close or good we'll have to see no one has seen it yet? Maybe you want to wait till someone reviews it.
 

Son_of_SJ

Well-known member
Sep 10, 2009
325
0
18,890
I happened to see the 65" Sony 4K television in my local Sony Centre today. It was showing true 4K source material. I must be honest, it looked good, very good indeed, but, for me, not quite the "Wow!" factor that I had been expecting from the reviews. Maybe if I hadn't been watching my Blu-Ray of "Drive" last night on my 64" Samsung plasma I might have been more impressed. I don't often get the chance to watch Blu-Rays in my parlour, so last night I was thinking that the picture from Drive looked pretty good. The 65" 4K Sony television showing 4K material today looked as good, but not, to my middle-aged eyes, noticeably better than Blu-Rays on my Samsung.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
At the end if the day, the more tightly packed the pixels are on a TV the better.Try connecting your pc to your TV....it looks horrible close up but not with 4k Television or even a Mac cinema display. TV needs to be more than a ,one trick blu ray pony.It need to do other things equally well. The increase in resolution enhances that ideal.Give it time and the current 4k problems will iron itself out. Even the Kuro took 10 generations to be perfected?
 

Son_of_SJ

Well-known member
Sep 10, 2009
325
0
18,890
Gamemaker said:
Try connecting your pc to your TV....it looks horrible close up but not with 4k Television or even a Mac cinema display.

I disagree with nearly all your post, but I'll confine myself to just the phrase that I've quoted above. As it happens, I do have my PC connected, via 10m, 15m and 20m long humble 15-pin VGA connectors, to my televisions in the parlour, kitchen and my bedroom. And no, the picture from my PC to my televisions is not horrible, not even close up. I'm not claiming that the picture is wonderful, but it is certainly good enough to watch sport from the USA, which I get on subscription via the internet to my PC, without my being aware of poor quality and I just enjoy the sport.

And have you connected your PC to a 4K television, perchance? If you have, and the picture was good despite the large amount of upscaling involved, then I'm surprised, but that is a feather in your cap!
 

Alantiggger

Well-known member
Oct 14, 2007
264
29
18,920
Agreed Son_of_SJ...

all the way too, any pc no matter which it would seem (and I have fixed many of my two son's pals pc's ((love to do what with me being somewhat infirm)) .. helps pass my day tbh :)

Any pc inclusive of old un's.... all look real nice on my old TV screen albeit a 720p Panasonic (now in bedroom...

used as the screen for the faulty pc's to be 'fixed-up' :)

PC's look great connected to TV. :clap: (maybe the poster has a rubbish graphics card ?)
 

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
Gamemaker said:
Give it time and the current 4k problems will iron itself out.

Which 4k problems are you referring to? Are you including the near impossibility of genuine 4k content delivery?

4k delivery will take more than manufacturing muscle and R&D; it requires information technology and broadcasting infrastructure overhaul.

Personally, I'd be happy enough to see 1080p become a broadcasting standard; though even this seems an unlikely proposition in the near future. The broadcasting powers that be seem to prefer quantity over quality.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Son of sj

If you have a mac display like I have although only 27 inch the resolution is breath taking.Nothing comes close.If you do not have one or an ipad 4 you could not possibly comprehend what you are defending. A 2 meg 1080p image is no match to a 4k or more image.You have to be silly to think resolution do not matter.

Graphics cards can do 2560 by 1960 resolution but connected to a 1080pTV you do not get all that. The TV is the weakest link. On a mac display it is very difficult to see the individual pixels unless you have a magnifying glass. With a 1080p TV you can see them with naked eye. On a 4K TV set the pixels have to be more tightly packed to fit in on to the same space as a 1080p TV.Try the comparison.

Again you need to have used a mac display or high res PC screen to appreciate resolution. As an avid digital camera user with an Eos 1, a 4k image on a 4k tv has no equal even with a plasma.The Tv is not just for Bluray and that is my point. It needs wider appeal and 4K does give new hope for the TV sales revival.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
strapped for cash said:
Gamemaker said:
Give it time and the current 4k problems will iron itself out.

Which 4k problems are you referring to? Are you including the near impossibility of genuine 4k content delivery?

4k delivery will take more than manufacturing muscle and R&D; it requires information technology and broadcasting infrastructure overhaul.

Personally, I'd be happy enough to see 1080p become a broadcasting standard; though even this seems an unlikely proposition in the near future. The broadcasting powers that be seem to prefer quantity over quality.

LG and Samsung are planning 4k broadcast with cable companies in South Korea and will be avaliable by the end of the year. You can see how they do not muck around in meeting the challenges of new 4k hardware in Asia. Here in the UK and Europe it is diabolically backwards.

You have to go to south korea to see the TV broadcast scene, you will be shocked on the advancement. Ask any what hifi journalist and they will tell you.I cannot make you understand what you cannot or have not seen?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
strapped for cash said:
A gold plated mac display, like Amir Khan's phone, would probably look even better.

If you cannot debate with facts like you normally do....like on the calibration topic...then you really sound desperate? Why, I am telling you the truth.Ask any mac display user. It is no lie.
 

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
Gamemaker said:
LG and Samsung are planning 4k broadcast with cable companies in South Korea and will be avaliable by the end of the year. You can see how they do not muck around in meeting the challenges of new 4k hardware in Asia. Here in the UK and Europe it is diabolically backwards.

You have to go to south korea to see the TV broadcast scene, you will be shocked on the advancement. Ask any what hifi journalist and they will tell you.I cannot make you understand what you cannot or have not seen?

I'll happily take your word for it on upgrades to South Korean broadcasting infrastructure, but this is of zero consequence to UK consumers. (Unless they plan to move to South Korea.)

I'd advise any South Korean reader to look into how 4k is being implemented; for UK consumers, my earlier point stands. Your 4k evangelism seems blind to the fact that 4k technology is almost useless in the West right now and will very likely remain so for the foreseeable future.
 

Alantiggger

Well-known member
Oct 14, 2007
264
29
18,920
strapped for cash said:
Gamemaker said:
LG and Samsung are planning 4k broadcast with cable companies in South Korea and will be avaliable by the end of the year. You can see how they do not muck around in meeting the challenges of new 4k hardware in Asia. Here in the UK and Europe it is diabolically backwards.

You have to go to south korea to see the TV broadcast scene, you will be shocked on the advancement. Ask any what hifi journalist and they will tell you.I cannot make you understand what you cannot or have not seen?

I'll happily take your word for it on upgrades to South Korean broadcasting infrastructure, but this is of zero consequence to UK consumers. (Unless they plan to move to South Korea.)

I'd advise any South Korean reader to look into how 4k is being implemented; for UK consumers, my earlier point stands. Your 4k evangelism seems blind to the fact that 4k technology is almost useless in the West right now and will very likely remain so for the foreseeable future.

Indeed, well said.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
strapped for cash said:
Gamemaker said:
LG and Samsung are planning 4k broadcast with cable companies in South Korea and will be avaliable by the end of the year. You can see how they do not muck around in meeting the challenges of new 4k hardware in Asia. Here in the UK and Europe it is diabolically backwards.

You have to go to south korea to see the TV broadcast scene, you will be shocked on the advancement. Ask any what hifi journalist and they will tell you.I cannot make you understand what you cannot or have not seen?

I'll happily take your word for it on upgrades to South Korean broadcasting infrastructure, but this is of zero consequence to UK consumers. (Unless they plan to move to South Korea.)

I'd advise any South Korean reader to look into how 4k is being implemented; for UK consumers, my earlier point stands. Your 4k evangelism seems blind to the fact that 4k technology is almost useless in the West right now and will very likely remain so for the foreseeable future.

I ain't south korean but the missus is so I have seen alot there I like on TVs. I spend more time there then any of the what hi fi team except Andrew possibly. Anyway, the new TV hardware need to exist in the homes before the software/broadcast can develop.Demand and then supply.It will take a while but expectations are equally important but I read negativity here on 4k in this forum and not even the journalist fronm HCC or What Hi Fi sound that negative?? Why? Do you want a plasma 4k annoucemnent,when there is none, is that the real kernel of the prejudice? Unbelieviable if so?

Frankly, I do not even think you want the next big TV thing as it will make your plasma redundant..... But each to their own.I leave it there.
 
Gamemaker said:
It will take a while but expectations are equally important but I read negativity here on 4k in this forum and not even the journalist fronm HCC or What Hi Fi sound that negative?? Why? Do you want a plasma 4k annoucemnent,when there is none, is that the real kernel of the prejudice? Unbelieviable if so?

Frankly, I do not even think you want the next big TV thing as it will make your plasma redundant..... But each to their own.I leave it there.

It has nothing to do with plasma. Where's 4K content in the UK? Sky & Virgin have made no announcements towards delivering 4K.....they're not even delivering 1080p. Even Sony isn't releasing its 4K media player in the UK. Broadband speeds here are still not capable of streaming 4K movies.

What's the point of buying a 4K TV now? All you'll get to watch is upscaled SD and HD pictures. 1080p content will look better natively on a 1080p TV than upscaled to fit 4K TV.

Let someone announce commitment to delivering 4K content in the UK, then interest will pick up.
 
Looking at the style of posts, I don't believe Gamemaker and z058261 are different members, even though Andrew said in another thread that their registered IP addresses are different.
 

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
bigboss said:
Looking at the style of posts, I don't believe Gamemaker and z058261 are different members, even though Andrew said in another thread that their registered IP addresses are different.

We now know that at least one of those IP addresses will be registered to an Apple computer.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
bigboss said:
Gamemaker said:
It will take a while but expectations are equally important but I read negativity here on 4k in this forum and not even the journalist fronm HCC or What Hi Fi sound that negative?? Why? Do you want a plasma 4k annoucemnent,when there is none, is that the real kernel of the prejudice? Unbelieviable if so?

Frankly, I do not even think you want the next big TV thing as it will make your plasma redundant..... But each to their own.I leave it there.

It has nothing to do with plasma. Where's 4K content in the UK? Sky & Virgin have made no announcements towards delivering 4K.....they're not even delivering 1080p. Even Sony isn't releasing its 4K media player in the UK. Broadband speeds here are still not capable of streaming 4K movies.

What's the point of buying a 4K TV now? All you'll get to watch is upscaled SD and HD pictures. 1080p content will look better natively on a 1080p TV than upscaled to fit 4K TV.

Let someone announce commitment to delivering 4K content in the UK, then interest will pick up.

Your point is one sided though.Why is Sony launching 4k in the UK? Are they stupid...they must know what you say already?

The 4k TV needs to be in the homes first then the broadcasters will act. It is not a 'chicken and egg, as to what cames first argument. Like the PS3 example it had bluray.....that got the disk playing potentials into the home before the bluray disks expanded. Likewise the 4k TV Hardware will precedes the broadcast software.
 

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
Gamemaker said:
I read negativity here on 4k in this forum

I haven't said anything "anti-4k" in principle. I simply observed that you can't access 4k content in the UK right now and that this will remain the case for the foreseeable future. That's pretty easy to get a handle on. If you know something that complicates my observation, please let me know and I'll revise my position.
 

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
Gamemaker said:
the 4k TV Hardware will precedes the broadcast software.

The point is that 4k hardware considerably precedes 4k software. Can you advise us of a date at which a worthwhile library of native 4k content will be available in the UK? The necessary infrastructure isn't even close to being in place. Indeed, there are no plans I know of to start work on upgrading this infrastructure.
 

strapped for cash

New member
Aug 17, 2009
417
0
0
Gamemaker said:
Why is Sony launching 4k in the UK?

Because they want to distinguish their new televisions from older models; and because some people will mistakenly believe there's an advantage to buying the technology at a premium. (That they'll somehow have bragging rights over others.) Think of 4k televisions like Amir Khan's gold plated iPhone -- it doesn't offer any practicable advantage, but he can show it to his mates in the hope they'll be consumed by jealousy, thereby validating Amir Khan's existence on planet consumer.
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts