What will I gain from a serious AV Amp upgrade?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Perfect sense and I did check out your speaker package from your sig before I posted originally to ensure the LX72 would be a worthwhile upgrade with them. Since you're also upgrading to the RX6s, I think you should definitely notice quite a big improvement with the more expensive Pioneer amp.

A

Anonymous

Well I tell you what the guys at BLOK are amazing, they made a new walnut which does not match my RX speakers, so guess what, called them up and they are spraying one for me free of charge, which is a colour they dont do anymore.

Going to do all the upgrades now, and then leave it, no point dragging it on, at least I get what I want now, and I dont have to have things delivered to the house if my wife is getting mad. so she said just get it over with and order it.. LOL

So RX6 here we come, now just need to get the RX1 behind me some how, its either stands were they are ear level or wall mounts above my head but cant angle those down towards my head.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
canada16:
Well I tell you what the guys at BLOK are amazing, they made a new walnut which does not match my RX speakers, so guess what, called them up and they are spraying one for me free of charge, which is a colour they dont do anymore.

Going to do all the upgrades now, and then leave it, no point dragging it on, at least I get what I want now, and I dont have to have things delivered to the house if my wife is getting mad. so she said just get it over with and order it.. LOL

So RX6 here we come, now just need to get the RX1 behind me some how, its either stands were they are ear level or wall mounts above my head but cant angle those down towards my head.

You will have one hell of a sound Canada.

scene

Gerrardasnails:canada16:

You will have one hell of a sound Canada.
I am very jealous
emotion-1.gif

BTW: Re RX1 stands, you can get stands that can be angled down and can take the weight of an RX1, although you may have to screw into the back of the RX1s
emotion-9.gif
. Having said that, there are clamping ones that do the same.

Here are some cheap Maplin ones that take 10KG: Adjustable brackets

A

Anonymous

scene:Gerrardasnails:canada16:

You will have one hell of a sound Canada. I am very jealous
emotion-1.gif

BTW: Re RX1 stands, you can get stands that can be angled down and can take the weight of an RX1, although you may have to screw into the back of the RX1s
emotion-9.gif
. Having said that, there are clamping ones that do the same.
Here are some cheap Maplin ones that take 10KG: Adjustable brackets

Thanks for that scene, I could not bring myself to do that, might see about a shelf or something in ikea, will keep looking.

UPDATE:

Just bought my RX6 and Pioneer SC-LX72 ... thats the credit card maxed out, got a nice deal and great advice from Hifix, thanks so much for your help, you know who you are. cant wait for it all to arrive. Im sure the wife cant wait either
emotion-2.gif

emotion-2.gif
emotion-2.gif
emotion-2.gif

Finally my dream system.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Good man,Canada!! Very decisive...I bet you can't wait for the delivery van to show up.....when are they due to arrive??

Need to upload some photos of your new system when you can. Just took delivery of my RXFX today and they are now firmly strapped to the wall...

keiser1

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
Good decision Canada
emotion-21.gif

I'm sure you will be pleased when it all arrives.

The sclx72 is a serious amp, I've just been reading about the standing wave function in the advanced MCACC menu and it seems this amp can adjust everything to give the best possible sound!

Enjoy it fella.

A

Anonymous

I had to take the plunge, seize the day and all that. I did not want to be upgrading over the next year or two as the wife was getting mad with random boxes showing up and me telling her she needs to stay in and wait for them.. LOL

Well Blok are making my Hifi rack and that should be 3-4 days as they need to spary the colour I want, amazing guys at Blok.

And dave at Hifix needs to order the RX6 from MA as no walnut in stock so should be tues wed and amp should be here monday.

Will deff put pics up, I am just glad the wife seems ok with it all, except she does not know I spent 900 on the amp, so lets keep that between us eh!
emotion-5.gif

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
In my (very recent) experience with wives and hif stuff, they do seem to have a 6th sense for how much stuff might have cost! When she sees the size of that Pioneer she's gonna know!!!
emotion-5.gif

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
You'd better make sure that you demonstrate what a good purchase you've made by showing a goodly number of her favourite films - and by making everything very easy to operate when you're out (that's where a Harmony remote is your friend!!!)

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Sorreltiger:You'd better make sure that you demonstrate what a good purchase you've made by showing a goodly number of her favourite films - and by making everything very easy to operate when you're out (that's where a Harmony remote is your friend!!!)

I'm thinking that a couple of cosy meals out at a local restaurant will go a long way, most women wouldn't thank you for a Harmony remote control!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Canada

I know you've made the right decision - when I was comparing the Marantz SR7005 and Pioneer SCLX83 with the RX6's the other day, they sounded much better with the Pioneer. I have no doubt you'll be enjoying your system for a long time to come
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

i have to say im looking forward to canadas review, having the rx6's myself, and looking to upgrade to the full rx6 pack , im curious to know what a top amp does for them
emotion-11.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
My sub seemed to take on extra depth and solidity when I changed to the LX82. My speakers were suddenly alive with detail and impact, where once they were just a ball of warmth and smoothness. Music sounded much more like a hi-fi system. And that was changing from a £1400 to the LX82 (£2000). I think my speaker package helped reveal those differences, but I have no doubt that you'll wonder why you didn't change sooner
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Yeh dave read your review on the .............. forum which set my mind at rest.

I have a harmony remote and my 4 year old knows how to operate it.
emotion-15.gif

I am going to get some stands, yes I know the RX1 wont be above my head that much, but the wife said she does not want them going on the wall, which is fair enough as they are quite big for the wall IMO.

Will give a before and after pic, with a somewhat detailed review probably next weekend, as will be busy as need to hook everything up, make a 100mm piece of wood for the Blok stax as the pioneer is 460mm deep and the Blok is only 400mm

And also my dad is coming from canada Tomorrow, I havnt seen him for a few years. He's bringing me canadian beer and lots of choc bars and beef jerky.

The wife said I need to buy her some timberland boots, which is ok, and she said if another box comes again I need to pay for a boob job for her.....
emotion-3.gif

canada-flag-1.jpg

Thanks guys for all your help and helping me spend my money

scene

canada16:The wife said I need to buy her some timberland boots, which is ok, and she said if another box comes again I need to pay for a boob job for her.....
emotion-3.gif

canada-flag-1.jpg

Thanks guys for all your help and helping me spend my money

emotion-5.gif

Enjoy your new amp and post us some pics when it's all set up, so we can all be even more jealous
emotion-21.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
canada16:The wife said I need to buy her some timberland boots, which is ok, and she said if another box comes again I need to pay for a boob job for her.....
emotion-3.gif

So what else would you like to order?
emotion-2.gif

Will give a before and after pic, with a somewhat detailed review probably next weekend

Sorry, are you talking about your system here or the boob job?
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:canada16:The wife said I need to buy her some timberland boots, which is ok, and she said if another box comes again I need to pay for a boob job for her.....
emotion-3.gif

So what else would you like to order?
emotion-2.gif

Will give a before and after pic, with a somewhat detailed review probably next weekend

Sorry, are you talking about your system here or the boob job?
emotion-2.gif

lol... Both, but Im sure if I post pics she would not be very happy.

I wont need anything else, but said wires ect might come, she said thats ok, but.........

NO MORE SPEAKERS!!!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
canada16:
I had to take the plunge, seize the day and all that.

First off all.. CONGRATULATIONS Canada!! But what are you doing??

I am sure there are more people on the edge on this forum like me, and your statements and actions are going to make it even more harder to resist the dark side of upgrading!!

Jokes apart, this particular thread as well as some other members reply to some of my posts made me feel / realize that I am not doing enough justice to my speakers. Luckily or sadly, I still see more potential in a used well maintained product and so put a max bid on a Denon AVC - A1HDA which is alot beyond what I would have generally willing to spend on an amp upgrade (I will get to know in a week's time if I will get it or not) but if I win the whole credit / blame goes to this thread ;) Just Kidding!

And your post about what will happen if you receive one more new big box is extremely entertaining and this is what makes this forum so much fun!! Look forward to read your experience with this major upgrade of yours and please be as detailed in your posts while sharing your experience / observations.

@David - I have a random off the topic thought. Since you are an expert and have so much experience, are you generally able to sense which person will go for an upgrade soon based on what he writes / talks? Do people like us give too many signals indicating that we are on the extreme edge for an immediate upgrade ? Of course, you do not have to answer that if you think I am crossing the line here.. All in good spirit.

A

Anonymous

Well wishtree this is my problem, I have a very addictive personality, which is not good.

When I start off with something, I am happy with it, and then I just want to do better and better.

Have had my stuff for about 9 months now, and already I am upgrading towards hi-end stuff.

I just felt that my amp was not delivering enough quality power and was not surrounding me in a cinema style experience.

I want to feel like I am in the movies, and even though I have a RSW12 I feel that I need a little more bass upfront to even things out a bit.

The RX1 are great and so is the centre, but they are now going to the back on some stands.

I am just itching to get all this hooked up, I might even take a day off work when my little girl is in school and have the day playing about.

I am uploading a before pic of my set-up now.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
WishTree:@David - I have a random off the topic thought. Since you are an expert and have so much experience, are you generally able to sense which person will go for an upgrade soon based on what he writes / talks? Do people like us give too many signals indicating that we are on the extreme edge for an immediate upgrade ? Of course, you do not have to answer that if you think I am crossing the line here.. All in good spirit.

Never really thought about it. I suppose you can sometimes see which way someone is swaying from how they describe their options, but if you're hinting at taking advantage of that sway as a retailer, it's not a good thing to do if that upgrade isn't necessarily the best one to take. With any upgrade, the whole system has to be taken into account, as well as any future plans too.

Canada's always on the edge
emotion-2.gif

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
it's not a good thing to do if that upgrade isn't necessarily the best one to take. With any upgrade, the whole system has to be taken into account, as well as any future plans too.

Canada's always on the edge
emotion-2.gif

Good One about Canada but deep inside, I think, more than a handful of us are like that ;)

BTW.. I do not want to hijack the thread but given the speakers that I have (which I do not intend to change in near future), which amp / pro+power suits best? Like most others here, I am in search of that holy grail which sounds best for both movies (45%) and music (55%). I promise I will not extend on your reply for me and will start a new thread, if need be, to keep the fun and excitement in this thread authentic to the owner of the thread!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
canada16:
Well wishtree this is my problem, I have a very addictive personality, which is not good.

When I start off with something, I am happy with it, and then I just want to do better and better.

Have had my stuff for about 9 months now, and already I am upgrading towards hi-end stuff.

Lots of have this but at varied levels of intensity, which I think is quite normal.

I upgraded my B&W 686 after two months of listening only. I realized only after a month they are really bad pair of speakers by B&W. If we know for sure that the current system / components are not up to the mark, then it is better to upgrade sooner than later.

I am sure you are aware of it but it is a known fact that room acoustics play an extremely crucial role and possibly after a point the incremental benefits can only be harvested better with room treatments which is even more challenging in a family setup.

I believe that your new upgrade brought you almost to that point.

A

Anonymous

OK

Got the first part of the delivery today, the Amp (SC-LX72), and its a MONSTER, its so heavy, so that means good quality, well in this case it does.

Anyway, Hifi rack coming this week and also the RX6, so if all goes well should have everything up and running by the weekend.

TRENDING THREADS