WHAT WAS YOUR SEPERATES SYSTEM IN THE 90s

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Mine was pioneer A400 AMP, PDS801 CD PLAYER pioneer, Audioquest type 4 speaker cable, SPEAKERS MISSION 780s bi wired.

This sounds just as good today than most half decent systems Cost £920 in 1992 but doesnt look at all dated thats the joy of seperates over all in 1 box solution.

dsharratt:

Mine was pioneer A400 AMP, PDS801 CD PLAYER pioneer, Audioquest type 4 speaker cable, SPEAKERS MISSION 780s bi wired.

This sounds just as good today than most half decent systems Cost £920 in 1992 but doesnt look at all dated thats the joy of seperates over all in 1 box solution.

Well, up until 1998 my system consisted of:

Pioneer SA706 Amplifier, Wharfedale E20 Speakers, Garrard B20 Turntable and Marantz ML2060 Tuner.

I still have the tuner and speakers, although the speakers were replaced last year.

A

Anonymous

The first Nad 3020 amp, big big mission standmounts (I can't remember the model, and one has a ripped cone and sitting in my parent's loft) and Technics turntable with Ortofon Concorde needle.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Turntable - Linn LP12 / Basik Plus arm / K9 cartridge
Amp - Naim 62 / 140 and A & R A60
Speakers - Monitor Audio 252 (mistake - not good) and Ruark Swordsman (still great if you have a sub)
Other - Marantz SD220 tape, Akai VSA1100EK VHS, various tuners, Sennheisser HD410 headphones (£14 from Boots in 1981 ish).
Sound Organisation Rack and Mordaunt Short speaker stands.
I still have all of this except tape deck and tuners.

Things that went by the way:-
Mission 737's
Pink Triangle Turntable with Audio Technica 110 Arm ? Cartridge
NAD 1240 Pre Amp (nice and flexible)
Fisher EQ (to tame top end with FM and tape)
Philips and Onkyo CD players (both horrendous)

A

Anonymous

early 90's:

Sony cdp-M25 cd player

Yamaha AVX-20 amplifier

Sony ST-S370 tuner

Technics RS-TR265 cassette deck

B&W V202 speakers

Tuner and deck are still part of my current system, while amp and speakers are now in front of me, connected to my pc
emotion-4.gif

1998 : replaced cd player with Marantz cd67 MkII, amp with Marantz PM68, cables with StraightWire Chorus (interconnects) QED Qudos (speaker).

1999: replaced speakers with B&W DM 602S2

Basically my system it's still the same; just replaced cables, and amp with PM 6002 some months ago.

matthewpiano

Sansui/Mission system (AUX111/CDX111 with Mission 760s) with an Aiwa AD-F410 cassette deck and Dual CS503-2 turntable. The Sansui/Mission system was a WHF award winner at the time and, despite spending lots of money on hi-fi I've never really enjoyed music as much as I did on that set-up. It was fantastic and punched well above its weight.

A

Anonymous

Audiolab 8000a (still use it today)

B&W DM601 speakers

Marantz CD63 KI Sig

Rega Planar 3 turntable

A

Anonymous

My system in the 90s was a Aiwa mini-system (of which the speakers are absolutly fantastic - for just £200 for the whole system in 1997, I would say the speakers are worth that on their own!). But my parents system was much better: A matching Pioneer system from the late 70s with the proper silver faces and Fluroscan VU meters!!! It comprised of:

Amp: Pioneer SA-9800 (100wpc 1979).
Turntable: Pioneer PL-L1000 (Worth over £500 today!)
Cassette: Pioneer CT-F1000 (Truly beasty cassette player!)
Tuner: Pioneer TX-9800 (very, very sensitive and good at DXing!)
Speakes: JBL L100 speakers (imported from the US and cost them a bomb!)

We also had a pair of Wharfedale E50s and E70s, but they have long since gone!

A

Anonymous

- NAD A130 amp (something like that, 70's amp with wood case, silver metal front and bright blue lighting)
- Marantz CD67SE (loved it, fantastic player)
- Goodmans speakers (again from the 70's and sounded fantastic!)

Also regularly used a Quad 405/33 amp with SMC (huge) transmission line speakers and Mission DAD5 CDP. Breathtaking stuff, or at least I thought so in the day...

A

Anonymous

Hmmm 80's and beyond

Amps:-
Musical Fidelity B1
Kenwood 3020e
Audiolab 8000a
Musical Fidelity A5

CD's:-
Technics ?????
Roksan Caspian

Turntable:-
Revolver with Moth arm, Goldring and Audio Technica cartridges

Speakers:-
B&W ?????
B&W 602's
Sonus Faber Grand Piano

VDH, QED, Nordost, Merlin cables

I'm sure I had another Cd player but can't remember. Now I've gone to the dark side with a combined av amp and large sats/ PV1 sub

R

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Still have most of this gear, however it gets little use nowadays:

Rotel RA-930 AX Amp

Sony CDP-397

Tannoy 603's Bi-wired

Rega Planar 2 w/ Ortofon Cartridge

Aiwa ADF-410 Cassette Deck

Denon Tuner-cant remember model number

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I reall enjoyed a rega Planar 2 and ortofon cartridge vms 20e and 50fl. (I think!) with a Cambridge A and R A60 vers1 . I heard these with a number of speakers and nearly bought the JR 149s (Jim Rogers). The spacious soundstage snapped into focus with these speakers. They were a little bass shy and inefficient so I bought the bigger (and meatier sounding) Monitor Audio MA4 mark 2 speakers.

To me - this system was sublime. I wish I still had it.

ps I bought it late 1978. Rega 100£. A and R A60 140£ and MA4s were 180£ I think

A

Anonymous

Another A400 here, with the pds703 cdp which was also a 5star whf reviewed product. £250 and im still using it now. Speakers the tdl t-line 3. There like the rtl3 but £650 due to better parts and boxs with real wood veneer. still got them too, but im usually listening to something home made. Tuner was briefly an award winning sony, but its poor reception saw it pushed aside for my 80s sony tuner, which im still using. Nothing else seems sensitive enough. Aiwa tape deck. single at £120 with 5 stars aswell. Paid £63 in a price beat plus £10 off for ex display. still using that aswell lol.

Thinking on... my arcam 8r could be from the 90s too. Im not sure if ive anything that isnt lol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts