What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 288 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Marvindodgers said:
jimbofisher said:
Marvindodgers said:
I walked into my local second hand record shop at the weekend to find the sad news that they are having to close due to the landlord upping the rent. Whilst getting over this devastating news (I've been buying records from these guys for 30+ years) I felt it my duty to try and reduce their load when removals day arrives and bought a small pile of vinyl. Been working my way through them this evening.

A slightly eclectic playlist but a fitting tribute to Scorpion Records/Counter Culture. Fingers crossed that they'll find new premises someday soon.

Marvin, where are you? I ask as you mention Scorpion Records, I know there are probably a few shops of that name but I grew up in High Wycombe and used to spend a lot of time after school flicking through the second hand records there but I thought it had closed a few years ago to make way for a new development.

Hi, yes the Scorpion Records that I referred to is the one in High Wycombe. It did indeed close a number of years ago as the guy who ran it decided to retire to look after his ailing wife and the land is now under a giant Sainsburys. Steg (the guy with the big beard if you remember him?) and Cheryl relocated to Desborough Road and opened up as Counter Culture soon after Scorpion closed and they've been there for a number of years now. They only use half the shop unit they are in and unfortunately their landlord needs to maximise his income by leasing the whole unit and they just cannot see a way of making that pay and so they have had to take the sad decision to close up shop this saturday. They've tried to find a shop share with another business, but they've so far been unsuccesful. They sell a lot on eBay and will continue that for now and they are continueing to look for alternative premises, but sadly at present it's looking like the end for now. Very sad indeed as I've been buying from them since I was 12 years old (42 now!!) When I spoke to my sister about it, she did remark that they were probably responsible for over half my collection and she is probably not too wrong! Sad times in HW!!

Sad times indeed, i spent many a happy time in Scorpion from 82-88 after school 'whilst waiting for the bus'. Spent a lot of pocket money and weekend job money in there.

I do remember Steg. One of the great things was there was no snobbery about what you were buying. They were also happy to let you browse and browse.

Can't claim to have bought my first records there as before I went to upper school I rarely went into HW, we lived in Flackwell Heath and used to go into Bourne End. There was a toy shop there, Cliftons, which had a corner of the shop dedicated to selling records, even had a separate booth for the till. Don't see shops like that any more.

Perhaps Counter Culture should have had a shop share with Childs toy shop, another institution from my youth which was originally next to Scorpion but moved to Desborough Road, spent a lot of ptre-teen time in there too. Also bought my first bike from the shop next to Scorpion. Happy days!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim ,

Liking your playlist - eclectic and interesting. My friend once threatened violence towards me or the in car stereo when we were on a long journey for which I'd compiled a mixtape of fave tunes. He thumped the steering wheel in rage as The Fall's Kicker Conspiracy gave way to a Tom Waits Bone Machine track, but he actually pulled over and screamed,"no more of this" when Take Me Out by The RHP came on.
He has since forgiven me.

I have Watercolurs on vinyl, I've cleaned it this afternoon, in readiness after your recommendation, I'll investigate the other title too.

I agree that Some Girls is great, in parts and Aftermath is wonderful. Hard to believe it's the same band, more or less. When hunting in the loft for Aftermath, I also found three of their 80s albums - all cleaned and ready for appraisal. (Tattoo You, Dirty Work and Undercover)

This afternoon I've only played two things:

The Visitors - Abba

Heavy Weather - Weather Report

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
'Red House Painters' (rollercoaster)

Red House Painters: 'Songs For A Blue Guitar'.

The rollercoaster sleeve album is their best album in my opinion, some absolutely heart-wrenching songs on there. I had 'Songs For A Blue Guitar' on CD, but I wasn't that enamoured with it, so somewhere along the line it got sold.

I saw them on a few occasions, and they were either truly wonderful, or truly awful, never just ok. I also saw a very early solo Mark Kozelek gig at The Borderline in London, a gig that was quite famous for him picking his guitar up at the end, running up the stairs to the exit, and hailing a cab outside. Great days those.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
MI0001792467.jpg

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Marvindodgers said:
jimbofisher said:
Marvindodgers said:
I walked into my local second hand record shop at the weekend to find the sad news that they are having to close due to the landlord upping the rent. Whilst getting over this devastating news (I've been buying records from these guys for 30+ years) I felt it my duty to try and reduce their load when removals day arrives and bought a small pile of vinyl. Been working my way through them this evening.

A slightly eclectic playlist but a fitting tribute to Scorpion Records/Counter Culture. Fingers crossed that they'll find new premises someday soon.

Marvin, where are you? I ask as you mention Scorpion Records, I know there are probably a few shops of that name but I grew up in High Wycombe and used to spend a lot of time after school flicking through the second hand records there but I thought it had closed a few years ago to make way for a new development.

Hi, yes the Scorpion Records that I referred to is the one in High Wycombe. It did indeed close a number of years ago as the guy who ran it decided to retire to look after his ailing wife and the land is now under a giant Sainsburys. Steg (the guy with the big beard if you remember him?) and Cheryl relocated to Desborough Road and opened up as Counter Culture soon after Scorpion closed and they've been there for a number of years now. They only use half the shop unit they are in and unfortunately their landlord needs to maximise his income by leasing the whole unit and they just cannot see a way of making that pay and so they have had to take the sad decision to close up shop this saturday. They've tried to find a shop share with another business, but they've so far been unsuccesful. They sell a lot on eBay and will continue that for now and they are continueing to look for alternative premises, but sadly at present it's looking like the end for now. Very sad indeed as I've been buying from them since I was 12 years old (42 now!!) When I spoke to my sister about it, she did remark that they were probably responsible for over half my collection and she is probably not too wrong! Sad times in HW!!

Sad times indeed, i spent many a happy time in Scorpion from 82-88 after school 'whilst waiting for the bus'. Spent a lot of pocket money and weekend job money in there.

I do remember Steg. One of the great things was there was no snobbery about what you were buying. They were also happy to let you browse and browse.

Can't claim to have bought my first records there as before I went to upper school I rarely went into HW, we lived in Flackwell Heath and used to go into Bourne End. There was a toy shop there, Cliftons, which had a corner of the shop dedicated to selling records, even had a separate booth for the till. Don't see shops like that any more.

Perhaps Counter Culture should have had a shop share with Childs toy shop, another institution from my youth which was originally next to Scorpion but moved to Desborough Road, spent a lot of ptre-teen time in there too. Also bought my first bike from the shop next to Scorpion. Happy days!

Wow, memories of old shops in High Wycombe. Childs Toys are still going and are now located in Hazlemere, but Hawes, the bike shop you mentioned, closed around the same time as Scorpion. All of those old shops are long gone and a giant Sainsburys now sits along the length of the Oxford Road.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I've got this box, well a few boxes, of records that need cleaning or the covers need mending or something; records also end up in here because I can't be bothered to file them in my rudimentary filing, ahem, 'system'. Maybe there's no room for them or I don't know where to put them. Whatever. Anyway, I brought a few down and gave them some love:

Robert Hunter: 'Tales Of The Great Rum Rummers'.

The Wackers: 'Hot Wacks'.

Indigo Girls: 'Indigo Girls'

Crazy Horse: 'Crazy Horse'.

BB King: 'Live At The Regal'.

'Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol 3'. Dutch complilation, kicking off with 'Positively 4th Street'. Can't be bad.

JJ Cale: 'Troubadour'.

Leonard Cohen: 'New Skin For The Old Ceremony'.

Ry Cooder: 'Into The Purple Valley'.

The Bhundu Boys: 'Tsvimbodzemoto'.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Sitting down after this mornings 5k Park Run and playing a few LPs.

Kate Bush - The Dreaming

Elton John - Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy

The Human League - Dare!

ABC - The Lexicon Of Love

Led Zeppelin - IV

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Some good stuff there Jim.

I've been playing a few 12"s that I haven't played for years.

Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel - White Lines

Future Sound Of London - We Have Explosive

808 State - Pacific 202

Paris Angels - Perfume

Curve - Fait Accompli

New Order - Blue Monday

Cocteau Twins - Tiny Dynamite

Wow Paris Angels - Perfume, I have that too.

Not been on here for a while just lost interest in this forum apart from Vinyl section.

playing

Lush - For Love 12"

Lush - Deluxe 12"

Fields of the Nephilim - Psychonaut EP

The Cult - Love

The Smiths - Meat is Murder

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Marvindodgers said:
Sitting down after this mornings 5k Park Run and playing a few LPs.

Kate Bush - The Dreaming

Elton John - Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy

The Human League - Dare!

ABC - The Lexicon Of Love

Led Zeppelin - IV

Dare is such a great album, superb production and on vinyl kicks the cd into the gutter ( as per normal )

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Off to see War on Drugs tonight, stupidly excited as they were a highlight at Latitude and heard their set on Friday at 6 Music festival

The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream (best album of last year too)

Have a busy week for gigs so also playing

Benjamin Booker - Benjamin Booker

Jungle - Jungle

yesterday picked up some tickets for the Brighton Festival so playing

Anna Calvi - Anna Calvi

Tricky - Adrian Thaws

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Love that Anna Calvi album, Jimbo.

Like a few others, I've set the wheel of steel to 45 today...

Tyrannosaurs Rex – King of the Rumbling Spires 7"
New Order – The Perfect Kiss 12"
Hockeysmith – Let's Bang 12"
Hockeysmith – But Blood EP
Rip Rig + Panic – I Am Cold 2x12" album (one of the greatest albums, in my opinion)
Age of Chance – Crush Collision EP

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Love that Anna Calvi album, Jimbo

It is, love both her albums and she is very good live, seen her on main stages, in tents and small club venues. Really looking forward to seeing her in May as it's at Brighton dome which is my fave large venue.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Love that Anna Calvi album, Jimbo

It is, love both her albums and she is very good live, seen her on main stages, in tents and small club venues. Really looking forward to seeing her in May as it's at Brighton dome which is my fave large venue.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Love that Anna Calvi album, Jimbo.

Like a few others, I've set the wheel of steel to 45 today...

Tyrannosaurs Rex – King of the Rumbling Spires 7"New Order – The Perfect Kiss 12"Hockeysmith – Let's Bang 12"Hockeysmith – But Blood EPRip Rig + Panic – I Am Cold 2x12" album (one of the greatest albums, in my opinion)Age of Chance – Crush Collision EP

That Age Of Chance EP is one of my favourite moments in music. I seem to get it out every five years or so and it never ceases to capture something of the initial rush of adrenaline I first marvelled at all those years ago. Your mention has just nudged me to blasting it out right now, if I can readily locate it.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
...seems a forgotten jazz composer today but 'The Quest' is testament to his brilliance, even if Rudy Van Gelder messed up the piano recording...not unusual. Featuring beautiful solos from Eric Dolphy, Booker Ervin and Ron Carter on cello, it's a thoroughly absorbing record with great tunes ( try 'Warm Canto' and marvel at Dolphy's brilliance) and it's on heavy rotation here.

Chick Corea: 'Piano Improvisations Volume One'

Arche Shepp: 'The Magic Of Ju-Ju'.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hadn't played any records for a while, so had a day off work today, and spun a few.

Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain

Chuck Berry - Spolight On

Future Sound Of London - We Have Explosive 12"

The Stairs - Last Time Around 12"

Fleetwood Mac - Greatest Hits

The Doors - The Doors

Miles Davis - Water Babies

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
That Age Of Chance EP is one of my favourite moments in music.

It's not at all bad, although I prefer 'From Now On This Will Be Your God' from the NME C86 cassette, and 'Liquid Jungle' from the earlier Bible of the Beats single. I loved the raw sound at the time, although it sounds quite dated now. I remember them performing Disco Inferno on the Old Grey Whistle Test, which was quite fun because there were unbelieveable amounts of feedback. Hope you enjoyed listening to the EP again.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Lonely Robot - Please Come Home

I pre-ordered this in advance having not heard a minute of it, but I've been a fan of the other work main man John Mitchell has done for quite some time. It's a fantastic listen in the style of modern prog rock. Great stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts