What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 290 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I know smileys are a little annoying, but they do help sometimes. *smile* (that's a smile by the way)

Played a bit of Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin, followed by......

Cocteau Twins - Head Over Heels

Sinead O'Connor - The Lion & The Cobra (Doesn't stand up very well these days, but the opening track 'Jackie' is still pretty stunning.

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Where is the old duffer? I rather miss him or, rather, I miss his often faintly ridiculous posts; there, that should do it: I know he likes an argument.

The following were chosen entirely at random from a few crates and have escaped my rigorous attempts to catalog them. Shame on me.

'More Bob Dylan Greatest Hits'.

The Peanut Butter Conspiracy: ' The Great Conspiracy'.

Leonard Cohen: ' Songs From A Room'.

T.I.M.E. : ' Smooth Ball'.

Dany Kirwan: 'Hello There Big Boy'.

'Blue Note's Three Decades Of Jazz, Volume 1: 1939-1949'.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Apologies for the format but as I've been unable to source a copy on vinyl (everywhere seems to be sold out) I have to mention the following album that I have been streaming over and over as I just cannot get enough of it. It works brilliantly as a cohesive whole.

Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space

On actual vinyl I've been listening to -

Lonely Robot - Please Come Home

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Van Halen - 5150

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Looks as though a recent purchase (King of the Rumbling Spires 7"), which was badly scratched, has wrecked my stylus. Luckily I was replacing it anyway and had just ordered a new one, but it means no more records for me until it arrives and I've managed to fit it. Pah.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
519LP5nRHRL._SX425_.jpg

Blooming eck! the picture might work.

geordie777

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Cream - wheels of fire. Original mono pressing and what an album. These guys knew how to rock.

The Fall - The Infortainment Scan

Bruce Springsteen - The River

The Rolling Stones - Get Ya Ya Ya's Out

The Rolling Stone - Exile On Main Street

Sex Pistols - Bollocks

House Of Love - Fontana album

House Of Love - Butterfly Album

Led Zep - Physical Graffiti.

The Stranglers - Rattus Norveigius.

PS what a pain in the a**e this forum is to post on.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
The Human League (Unlimited Orchestra) - Love And Dancing

I've loved this album since I was about 11 years old and my mate Ant's older brother Graham used to play it over and over. We're all still friends now 30 odd years later and it is still a magnificent listen.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
..I feel like a Van Morrison meditation. Recently I have broken the silence by playing the following gramophone records on my, er, gramophone:

King Crimson: 'In The Court Of The Crimson King'.

King Crimson: 'Lizard'.

'McDonald And Giles.'

'The Cheerful Insanity Of Giles, Giles And Fripp'.

Family: 'Music In A Doll's House'.

The Family: 'Scene Through THe Eye Of A Lens' single.

JJ Cale: 'Troubadour'.

Fleetwood Mac: 'Then Play On'.

Fleetwood Mac: 'Bare Trees'.

The Alan Bown: 'Listen'.

The Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet: 'Change Is'.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Jim-W said:
..I feel like a Van Morrison meditation. Recently I have broken the silence by playing the following gramophone records on my, er, gramophone:

King Crimson: 'In The Court Of The Crimson King'.

King Crimson: 'Lizard'.

Family: 'Music In A Doll's House'.

The Family: 'Scene Through THe Eye Of A Lens' single.

I used to have a Gramophone, the young won't know what we're on about.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
A couple of singles at the moment...

Prefab Sprout, 'King Of Rock n Roll'.

Erasure, 'A Little Respect' 12" extended mix.

T'pau, 'China In Your Hand'.

Kim Wilde 'Kids In America'.

Noel Gallagher 'In The Heat Of The Moment'.

Also an album, a limited edition pink vinyl of Madonna, 'Confessions On A Dance Floor'.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Bolt Thrower - Warmaster

Autopsy - Severed Survival

Entombed - Left Hand Path

All sounding great considering I have had these LPs for over 20 years. Glad I've always looked after my vinyl! *dance4*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Waxy said:
All sounding great considering I have had these LPs for over 20 years. Glad I've always looked after my vinyl! *dance4*

I wish I could say the same. *sorry2*

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I wish I could say the same. *sorry2*

I never lent my vinyl to mates. Always happy to copy it to cassette though. That was based on a bit of advice from my late Dad: "Never lend your tools, son, if you want them back in good condition".

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Marvindodgers said:
Apologies for the format but as I've been unable to source a copy on vinyl (everywhere seems to be sold out) I have to mention the following album that I have been streaming over and over as I just cannot get enough of it. It works brilliantly as a cohesive whole.

On actual vinyl I've been listening to -

Lonely Robot - Please Come Home

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Van Halen - 5150

Public Service Broadcasting !!

its a great piece of vinyl

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Since I last posted I've listened to lots of albums. Here are those I can remember:

Blue Saxophones - Ornette Hawkins/Ben Webster

Watercolours - Pat Metheny

(Thanks for the prompt Jim)

First Circle - Pat Metheny

Some Moz 12in singles:

Interlude, Boxers, Certian People I Know. All brilliant for A or B or both sides.

Trllogy - ELP

A stack of Bob:

Greatest Hits Vol.3

Shadows In The Night

Knocked Out Loaded

JWH

Blonde On Blonde

Unplugged

Side Tracks

Dylan

Selp-Portrait

Another Self-Portrait

Empire Burlesque

Under The Influence - Moz curated comp.

The Concert For Bangladesh

All Things Must Pass - George Harrison

Tribute To George - Jim James

Gaucho - Steely Dan

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

After waiting some time to track down a copy. It's a fantastic album in a beautiful gatefold sleeve with a lovely full size booklet, the vinyl sounds great and very clean indeed.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Marvindodgers said:

After waiting some time to track down a copy. It's a fantastic album in a beautiful gatefold sleeve with a lovely full size booklet, the vinyl sounds great and very clean indeed.

Alas, had to send my clear vinyl back due to defects :(

Tonight's listening:

Diagonal - Diagonal

Labradford - Prazision

Butthole Surfers - Hairway To Steven

Purson - Circle And The Blue Door

Lana Del Ray - Ultraviolence

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Waxy said:
Diagonal - Diagonal

Labradford - Prazision

Butthole Surfers - Hairway To Steven

Purson - Circle And The Blue Door

Lana Del Ray - Ultraviolence

Glad to see someone else likes Labradford. I only have 'E Luxo So' and 'Mi Media Naranja', and only on CD, but I love both albums.

A few of my mates are big Butthole Surfers fans. My abiding memory, is seeing them at Reading Festival (can't remember the year), and them coming on the stage and smashing everything to pieces before they even played anything. They then played so loud that I had to move back to where my mates were, who of course laughed at me, and instantly went to the front, only to return 5 minutes later, with ringing ears. *smile*

Now, I know little about Purson, but I did add a note to my phone about a track I heard by them called 'Danse Macabre', so I will have to investigate them further.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Glad to see someone else likes Labradford. I only have 'E Luxo So' and 'Mi Media Naranja', and only on CD, but I love both albums.

Not heard those two but I do have 'A Stable Reference' on CD which I first heard on the John Peel show back in the day.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
A few of my mates are big Butthole Surfers fans. My abiding memory, is seeing them at Reading Festival (can't remember the year), and them coming on the stage and smashing everything to pieces before they even played anything. They then played so loud that I had to move back to where my mates were, who of course laughed at me, and instantly went to the front, only to return 5 minutes later, with ringing ears. *smile*

A great live band. You're never quite sure what you are going to get, but you know it will be mad.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Now, I know little about Purson, but I did add a note to my phone about a track I heard by them called 'Danse Macabre', so I will have to investigate them further.

Rosalie Cunningham... go see them live. She plays a mean lead guitar, sings and generally holds most of the male audience captivated for the whole show. I like the album a lot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts