What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 281 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Lost Angeles said:
DIB said:
Thinking back to 1977 , with my Stranglers and Sex Pistols LPs tucked under my arm, the prevailing zeitgeist meant that I had to roundly dismiss all my record collection, and this particular group were definitely looked upon as the antichrist. Fast forward 38 years and those punk LPs just gather dust, whilst this and it's ilk get regular spins..

... I love this LP with a passion.

There, I've said it...... I like ELP ( and I don't care maaaaan as Johnny would say).

Some of us were never "that vacant"

It's a fair cop LA, I was fickle. To be honest it wasn't really about the music, I wasn't getting much joy trying to impress the girls with my ELP and Yes collection..

Were you "walking on the beaches" at the time.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I get to have a vinyl session while I toil...

Future Sound Of London - Far Out Son Of Lung And The Ramblings Of A Madman

Fantasma - Eye Of The Sun

Oresund Space Collective - West, Space & Love

Comus - Out Of The Coma

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Well, why not....

51qzexOtZmL.jpg

.. to be fair, this one and the next one No More Heroes still sound pretty good.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
The Lindsay String Quartet: Beethoven's Late Quartets.

Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band: 'Trout Mask Replica'

Humble Pie: 'Town And Country'

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers: 'Damn The Torpedoes'.

Bob Dylan:'Self Portrait'.

Bill Evans: 'The Paris Concert: Edition Two'.

Kevin Ayers And The Whole World:' Shooting At The Mooon'.

Nucleus: 'Elastic Rock'.

Hi Jim,

How's life? How's not going to school on these warmless winter days?

I'm sure you're coping just fine not getting seventy kids prepared for their drama practicals - I sound like I'm complaining but I love it, of course. As stated previously it's the extraneous admin and directives from up on high that i find less tolerable.

Great playlist there.

Did you ever sucumb to the recent Basement Tapes re-issue/issue? Will you be listening out for Bob's new one - Zim does Frank? (Do you think the follow up LP will be Zappa covers?)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
The Lindsay String Quartet: Beethoven's Late Quartets.

Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band: 'Trout Mask Replica'

Humble Pie: 'Town And Country'

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers: 'Damn The Torpedoes'.

Bob Dylan:'Self Portrait'.

Bill Evans: 'The Paris Concert: Edition Two'.

Kevin Ayers And The Whole World:' Shooting At The Mooon'.

Nucleus: 'Elastic Rock'.

Hi Jim,

How's life? How's not going to school on these warmless winter days?

I'm sure you're coping just fine not getting seventy kids prepared for their drama practicals - I sound like I'm complaining but I love it, of course. As stated previously it's the extraneous admin and directives from up on high that i find less tolerable.

Great playlist there.

Did you ever sucumb to the recent Basement Tapes re-issue/issue? Will you be listening out for Bob's new one - Zim does Frank? (Do you think the follow up LP will be Zappa covers?)

Hi Charlie

Great to hear from you. Oh I was only thinking this morning how glad I was I didn't have to go out! I used to dread these January mornings; I've never learned how to drive and any combination of wind, rain, ice and snow is no fun on a motorbike. Sometimes I'd chicken out and get a friend to pick me up!

I know entirely and precisely what you mean about teaching: lovely job, made ridiculously difficult by the very people who should be offering support not demanding spreadsheets that detail the progress of individual students using the bloody 'traffic lights' system! I hated it to the depths of my being...and they knew it! Such a waste of everybody's time. Data? I used to make it up half the time! Ha! You don't fatten a pig by weighing it, I used to tell them.

Having limited funds because I don't go out on cold mornings, (!) I haven't bought The Basement Tapes reissue although I've asked my market bloke to keep his eye open for a copy; I can live on my pension but I can't afford to buy records in the quantity that I used to although sometimes I go mad and starve for a couple of weeks! You gotta feed your soul.

I know nothing about the new Bob lp although when I've finished typing this I'll google it. Sounds er interesting!

I'm currently in the midst of a huge Beefheart phase, listening to 'The Spotlight Kid' very loudly as I type; I've decided the words on 'Trout Mask Replica', not the guitars and that angular free jazz sort of thing are the most original aspect of the whole thing. His poetry is unbelievably original and often beautiful in my opinion. I wonder if you agree?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

Yes, the dreaded spectre of data hangs heavy of all proceedings these days in the classroom. Like your pig weighing analogy, I will use that one. I trot out my mantra, "not everthing of true value can be measured" to many a raised SLT eye-brow.

I'm intrigued by your Beefheart phase-craze. I had a recent dose of a similar affliction a few months ago, it'll return soon enough. I love The Spotlight Kid. In my last deeper listening session I think I fixated on Shiny Beast, Clear Spot and msot of all Decals.

The absinthe-at-dawn poerty of Trout is an oft-missed thing of wonder. I play it less, simply because I only have a digital copy and I'm less inclined to stream it when in the enchante thrall of vinyl. I'm still hankering after a decent original copy.

My German friend (and Beefheart afficando) once played me a companion (bootleg?) LP to Trout which I can't place by title but he reckoned it was the true gold in Don's canon. Have I remembered that correctly I wonder? It was many moons ago.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It took me years to appreciate the poetry in Trout Mask Replica, but now I think it's superb. At first I dismissed as just trying to be weird and psychedelic, but now I see it as desert beat poetry. Although there are couplets such as 'Dachau blues / those poor Jews' which could definitely be improved upon!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Hi Jim,

Yes, the dreaded spectre of data hangs heavy of all proceedings these days in the classroom. Like your pig weighing analogy, I will use that one. I trot out my mantra, "not everthing of true value can be measured" to many a raised SLT eye-brow.

I'm intrigued by your Beefheart phase-craze. I had a recent dose of a similar affliction a few months ago, it'll return soon enough. I love The Spotlight Kid. In my last deeper listening session I think I fixated on Shiny Beast, Clear Spot and msot of all Decals.

The absinthe-at-dawn poerty of Trout is an oft-missed thing of wonder. I play it less, simply because I only have a digital copy and I'm less inclined to stream it when in the enchante thrall of vinyl. I'm still hankering after a decent original copy.

My German friend (and Beefheart afficando) once played me a companion (bootleg?) LP to Trout which I can't place by title but he reckoned it was the true gold in Don's canon. Have I remembered that correctly I wonder? It was many moons ago.

I feel for you, Charlie!

Yes, I'm a lifelong 'Clear Spot' fan, absolutely love it: accessible and enough weirdness to satisfy, but the poetry! Who else could come up with 'My Head Is My Only House Unless It Rains'? I think that's just lovely. 'Decals' I love too. I don't know of any 'Trout Mask' boots off-hand, but I guess they exist; I mean there was a lot of stuf on 'Grow Fins' which, incidentally, I'm saving 'til last, like a chocolate biscuit. 'Absinthe-at-dawn poetry'....Nice one!

I've got a 'Trout Mask' on Straight, an original: the records are in great condition but the sleeve is poor; somebody has spilt some dangerous chemicals on it or that's what it looks like!!! I used crayons and stuff and tried to make it better! I think it looks worse! Oh well. I don't think Straight lps are very easy to find: there's a couple of Tim Buckley originals I'm looking for on Straight and I haven't seen them in 30 odd years of searching; come to think of it, I haven't seen a 'Trout Mask' in many a long year. Do you know of 'An Evening With Wild Man Fischer' ? Spotify it if you don't nd let me know what you think. You'll laugh and cry! Deranged genius.

All the best...I know the exam pressure will be with you!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
It took me years to appreciate the poetry in Trout Mask Replica, but now I think it's superb. At first I dismissed as just trying to be weird and psychedelic, but now I see it as desert beat poetry. Although there are couplets such as 'Dachau blues / those poor Jews' which could definitely be improved upon!

No, I don't think he was ever trying to be anything other than himself...a self that his brilliant mind created of course.

Yep, the Dachau Blues lines are a bit childish, but in a way that's the point: what else can you say that doesn't sound pretentious or straining for serious effect? It's disarmingly brilliant!

'The Dust Blows Forward And The Dust Blows Back' is beyond beautiful. You can see it and feel like you were there.

'Desert beat poetry' sounds fine to me.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Grin: 'Grin.'

Grin: '1+1'.

Grin: 'Gone Crazy'.

Grin: 'All Out'.

From ear to ear, John. Great songs, great guitars and Nils' lovely voice. In my world, Bruce Springsteen would have played for Nils rather than the way it turned out. Not that anybody will agree, but hey, there ya go.

Oh I nearly forgot:

The Spontaneous Music Ensemble: 'Karyobin'. 1960's British free jazz on Island Records.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

Never heard that last record you mentioned in your post, but the details alone make it a must-seek out title.

Yes, Grow Fins is a great document of what really went on there. I would love to play some Cpt. tonight but I have other ears to please other than my own.

I bought a few interesting albums on Friday:

Soutak - Aziza Brahim

Viva La Trance - Amon Duul

Girls in Peacetime Want To Dance - Belle & Sebastian

Dropping The Writ - Cass McCombs

Revving up for the Monday morning ritual with my usual booze fuelled Sunday evening session.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Master Musicians of Bukkake – Totem One
Master Musicians of Bukkake – Totem Two
Master Musicians of Bukkake – Totem Three
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band – Lick My Decals Off, Baby

(Didn't have time for all of Trout Mask Replica, so chose this one instead.)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Yes - 'Time And A Word' The only Yes album worth having? *biggrin*

Well, that's a bit drastic, Freddy, but not far off; I'd add, ;Yes', 'The Yes Album' and 'Fragile' and maybe 'Close To The Edge' but I haven't played it for about 30 years!

I'm a big fan of 'Time And A Word' although many critics aren't, but critics are just people with opinions and so are we. It's great because it's ambitious, fresh, has great songs including 'Everydays', one of the greatest pop songs ever written and it's not as pompous and silly as they became later. I play it a lot and love it...great memories, mostly of girls, of course. 'Fragile' is the best Yes album in my opinion but I play 'Time And A word' more frequently. Glad somebody else likes it.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hiya Jim
thumbs_up.gif

Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Yes - 'Time And A Word' The only Yes album worth having? *biggrin*

Well, that's a bit drastic, Freddy, but not far off; I'd add, ;Yes', 'The Yes Album' and 'Fragile' and maybe 'Close To The Edge' but I haven't played it for about 30 years!

I'm a big fan of 'Time And A Word' although many critics aren't, but critics are just people with opinions and so are we. It's great because it's ambitious, fresh, has great songs including 'Everydays', one of the greatest pop songs ever written and it's not as pompous and silly as they became later. I play it a lot and love it...great memories, mostly of girls, of course. 'Fragile' is the best Yes album in my opinion but I play 'Time And A word' more frequently. Glad somebody else likes it.

"Pompous" is the word. 'Time And A Word' is my favourite by some distance. I always felt that Yes were too clever for their own good. Brilliant musicians that just wanted to show how brilliant they were. That's of course, my "opinion" *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts