What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 283 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
ultrarunner said:
Queensryche - Rage For Order

one of my favourites of theirs, probably the most "progressive" album in their back catalogue

I'll give that a listen as I quite like 'Silent Lucidity'
thumbs_up.gif

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
No need to be sorry I'm surprised though that you listened 'Blush Music', there's no such track? I was referring to the album. I particularly like 'White Bird'...

I found the full album on you tube, and played the first couple of tracks, 'White Bird' being the 2nd (I think).

I just don't find his voice at all interesting.

No worries Bernie
thumbs_up.gif

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Jackie McLean: 'New Soil'.

Jackie McLean: 'Bluesnik'.

Jackie McLean: 'Destination Out'.

Art Pepper: 'Smack Up'. Oh dear, Art, that is quite some title.

Roy Harper: 'Stormcock'.

The Rolling Stones: 'Let It Bleed'. mono.

Sly And The Family Stone: 'Dance To The Music'.

Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band: 'Ice Cream For Crow'.

The Electric Prunes: 'Underground'.

Boz Scaggs: 'Boz Scaggs'.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Some good stuff there Jim.

I've been playing a few 12"s that I haven't played for years.

Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel - White Lines

Future Sound Of London - We Have Explosive

808 State - Pacific 202

Paris Angels - Perfume

Curve - Fait Accompli

New Order - Blue Monday

Cocteau Twins - Tiny Dynamite

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Jim-W said:
Art Pepper: 'Smack Up'. Oh dear, Art, that is quite some title.

Unfortunate, to say the least, and perhaps sadly prescient.

Some good tunes in there as ever, Jim.

Not perhaps prescient, BBB, most definitely. He started what I think was a six year prison sentence about a year or so after this record...heroin, of course. I will never be able to understand, although maybe it's pretty obvious really, how such a chaotic, and he was seriously chaotic, human being can produce such beautiful and delicately controlled music. If you haven't heard the 'Winter Moon' lp which features Art with strings, youtube or spotify it, especially the opening track, 'Our Song' which is haunting, fragile and utterly beautiful. I played the album this afternoon as it's too cold to go out on my bike and it's lovely; it's far better than just about any other marriage of jazz and strings which tend to be saccharine and string-dominated: this is tasteful and restrained.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
thescarletpronster said:
ps: I'm TSP, not BBB.

He's getting a bit old, bless him. *biggrin*

I do apologise for that case of mistaken identity aka stupidity on my part. Yes, I'm knocking on a bit and I fear it's beginning to show. Yes, I'm knocking on a bit and I fear it's beginning to show. I do apologise. I know you're really very different people: TSB and BBP...don't worry, I'm memorising these names right now.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Nice reply Jim, though I am surprised to get one so late. *biggrin*

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Has anyone been watching the BBC 4 documentary Sound Of Song? Good stuff. Two down, one episode to go. You don't usually see so much vinyl and recording equipment in one place - oh, and the actual premise of the programme is good too.

Listening:

Currently sat in my kitchen looking out of the window on the wintery slopes of Sandal Castle ruins to a soundtrack of Art Pepper's Winter Moon (on Spotify), thanks Jim. It's beautiful and beguiling. unlike the pile of washing up before me.

Vinyl last the last few days included:

Grils In Peacetime - Belle & Sebastian

Acoustic Instruments EP - Aphex Twin

The Time Has Come/Tribute To Sun Ra - UNKLE/ Mo Wax EP

Soutak - Aziza Brahim (Currently my favourite "new to me" record)

Love & Theft - Bob Dylan

Jacques - Marc Almond

Cosmic Thing - The B-52s

World Peace - Moz

(One or two tracks of this are up there with his greatest, for me at least. That said, I'm passing up on the chance to see him at the dreadful Leeds Arena. The first time I've not trduged or skipped along willingly to a Moz tour. Jack White just about made the venue tolerable in November, I can't and won't see Moz doing it).

Final thought: I'm still on the hunt for a decent Trout Mask. A few on ebay but I'd rather see one for myself. Could be a long wait though. My local vinyl man is on the look out and I can't recall seeing one at any record fairs recently. Jim, should I just go for a re-issue and have done with it??

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi CHarlie. Really glad you like 'Winter Moon, one of my favourite records. For a pretty worldly kinda guy, Art's playing is so fragile and vulnerable. You can pick up the lp from discogs and ebay very cheaply and it's woth getting as it's nicely recorded.

As for 'Trout Mask Relica' well I don't know what to say really; two things are certain though: any mint/excellent original copies that come to the market-place will be of interest to a large number of collectors and, therefore, the price on an auction site will end up being pretty steep( £200+) I would have thought. Having said that, the original cover was pretty flimsy and is often seen with tears and rips, rubbing on all edges and excessive ring-wear: these can be had fairly cheaply, around £20, if you look on popsike. Mine has a damaged cover but the records are excellent so I'm looking for a copy with a decent cover and knackered records and I'll swap it all round, but I'm in no hurry. You might take that approach perhaps. On the other hand, if you're desperate to get a vinyl copy you could go for a Reprise label reissue ( they sound good) which are fairly cheap (£20-30) or one of the new reissues which I would imagine are nicely produced. You would then have a decent copy, but you could still keep your eyes open for an original; I've done that with many records, bought a cheap reissue and looked out for originals: there's plenty I've never found, but I live in hope and that keeps record-collecting exciting. Unfortunately, most of the records that I want ( 60' psych rarities, jazz, folk, blues and reggae records) are now are ridiculously expensive (£1,000+) and so I 'll settle for reissues...unless I get a windfall of course!

I'm dubious about buying anything that I haven't seen, based on past experience. I use markets and record fairs as you probably know so I can look at what I'm forking out for; however, I've still got loads of records with damaged grooves or inner groove distortion that you just can't pick up even when examining them.

So, after all of this: get a reissue and wait for an original that you can look at is my advice.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree the 70s Reprise reissue sounds good, and is definitely worth having. I had been after a Straight original for donkey's years and was very lucky to get an American copy for £15 a couple of years ago. Filthy dirty, G+ sort of condition, paint splashes on the cover (owned by an artist?) but worth getting. Delighted when it cleaned up in my Knosti to pretty much NM condition. Sounds amazing. Less delighted when I cleaned it a second time to get rid of the few remaining stubborn marks and then dropped it on the drying rack, leading to a 2-inch scratch on side 4........

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Filthy dirty, G+ sort of condition, paint splashes on the cover (owned by an artist?) but worth getting. Delighted when it cleaned up in my Knosti to pretty much NM condition. Sounds amazing.

That's great when that happens.

thescarletpronster said:
Less delighted when I cleaned it a second time to get rid of the few remaining stubborn marks and then dropped it on the drying rack, leading to a 2-inch scratch on side 4........

That's not great when that happens.

TRENDING THREADS