What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 280 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Nice to have you back, Charlie, and it's also nice to see a friendly face.

Is my face not friendly? *crazy*

Yes, Freddy it is...frighteningly so. *shok*

Not sure how to take that. A compliment? *biggrin*

Anyway, giving Pink Floyd - Endless River another spin, great sound quality. Not sure though if the lack of 'songs' will prove to be it's downfall...

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome back, BBB and Jim.

Yes Jim, those McCartney albums are rather special, aren't they. They are woven into my memories courtesy of my older brother playing them in the early seventies whilst I was in thrall to T.Rex, The Beach Boys and ELO. The covers of the two Macca LPs do that Proustian thing everytime I see them: times past fondly remembered.

This morning:

Subtitulo - Josh Rouse

Bap-tizum (1972 Ann Arbor Jazz Festival) - Art Ensemble Of Chicago

Black Narcissus - Joe Henderson

Tomorrow's Modern Boxes - Thom Yorke

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Good to see you back, Charlie (and I saw stevebrock a couple of days ago too). Happy new year to you.

Fela Kuti – Original SufferheadMogwai – Rock Action

Thank you Sir Scarlet P!

I lilke the Fela-Mogwai sounds you've listed, although I don't any vinyl by either, just digital dust.

Today, so far:

With The Beatles

Rock & Roll - John Lennon

Ram - Paul McCartney

All Things Must Pass - George Harrison

Nothing by Ringo in solo form though.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Had time for some vinyl today

TV On The Radio - Seeda (loving this album and the band, can't believe only started to listen to them)

Talking Heads - Remain In Light

Talking Heads - Speaking In Tongues

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion

PIL - The Greatest Hits...So Far

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
I lilke the Fela-Mogwai sounds you've listed

That's one of only 5 Fela albums I have on vinyl, all 80s copies when I started to get into his music. I've got the complete Fela boxed set on CD - 50+ albums - would love all the vinyl originals, but it's never gonna happen...

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
It's been a while since I posted, but the new year and a trip to my local second hand shop at the weekend prompted me to look up the forum. Recent purchases and listening include -

The Associates - Silk

Steely Dan - The Royal Scam

Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn

The Waterboys - Fishermans Blues

Bob Dylan - Desire

ABC - Beauty Stab

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Wolf-Tidings.jpg

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The Lindsay String Quartet: Beethoven's Late Quartets.

Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band: 'Trout Mask Replica'

Humble Pie: 'Town And Country'

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers: 'Damn The Torpedoes'.

Bob Dylan:'Self Portrait'.

Bill Evans: 'The Paris Concert: Edition Two'.

Kevin Ayers And The Whole World:' Shooting At The Mooon'.

Nucleus: 'Elastic Rock'.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy re-issue, for some reason I never bought this first time around.
Dire Straits - On Every Street.
Marillion - Clutching At Straws.

Uzi's on a street corner. The future of England?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Thinking back to 1977 , with my Stranglers and Sex Pistols LPs tucked under my arm, the prevailing zeitgeist meant that I had to roundly dismiss all my record collection, and this particular group were definitely looked upon as the antichrist. Fast forward 38 years and those punk LPs just gather dust, whilst this and it's ilk get regular spins..

ELP-ELP.jpg

... I love this LP with a passion.

There, I've said it...... I like ELP ( and I don't care maaaaan as Johnny would say)

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Thinking back to 1977 , with my Stranglers and Sex Pistols LPs tucked under my arm, the prevailing zeitgeist meant that I had to roundly dismiss all my record collection, and this particular group were definitely looked upon as the antichrist. Fast forward 38 years and those punk LPs just gather dust, whilst this and it's ilk get regular spins..

There, I've said it...... I like ELP ( and I don't care maaaaan as Johnny would say).

Some of us were never "that vacant"

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
DIB said:

There, I've said it...... I like ELP ( and I don't care maaaaan as Johnny would say).

It's a fair cop LA, I was fickle. To be honest it wasn't really about the music, I wasn't getting much joy trying to impress the girls with my ELP and Yes collection.
wink_smile.gif

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
DIB said:
Lost Angeles said:
DIB said:

It's a fair cop LA, I was fickle. To be honest it wasn't really about the music, I wasn't getting much joy trying to impress the girls with my ELP and Yes collection.

The first ELP record was very popular in our 6th form common room; I didn't think much to it I'm sorry to say but I did like 'Take A Pebble' which I think is on that lp. I was always trying to get them to play Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, Free and er Caravan records. As DIB said, they still get a spin today. I'm glad we all like dfferent stuff.

Regards.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
DIB said:

There, I've said it...... I like ELP ( and I don't care maaaaan as Johnny would say)

Yep, I love it too. Maybe musically, I led a sheltered life back then, but I'd never heard anything like it. I play it often
thumbs_up.gif

TRENDING THREADS