What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 278 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
OK Jim. *smile*

Well I've just put on Tchaikovsky Symphony no.6 "Pathetique", having seen it recommended on several sites.

I agree with Jim's "all Mahler is worth listening to" assertion. My favourites and most played discs are Symphonies 1&5. My Dad is the classical music guru in our family and he has mutliple copies of many of the major and plenty of the less well-known composers.

If you like Mahler, BBB, can I wholeheartedly recommend Richard Strauss. I've grown up with his music (operas, tone poems, orchestral works, pieces for specific instruments) and my love for his music is ever-developing. From the well-known (Also Sprach Zarathustra and let's say The "Alpine Symphony") to the his more demanding (Elektra & Salome) work there are many wonders to explore. My Dad always, always enthuses about R.Strauss' way with brass. And don't get him started on Bela Bartok!!!

Currently playing:

Love & Theft - Bob Dylan

Mr.Lucky - John Lee Hooker

Freedom Fields - Seth Lakeman

Face To Face - The Kinks

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Jim-W said:
my real favourite though is the shimmeringly beautiful Ninth Symphony.

This is what I was going to say. The final movement particularly is stunning. I have a wonderful Deutsche Grammophon recording by the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Claudio Abbado, but I think this only available on CD. Here's the cover, if you want to track it down:

abbado-9.1999.jpg

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I like Bartok too, Charlie, by the way. All this classical gassing makes you realise that life is just too short to listen to all the music that you really should experience at least once. I'm not a fan of Mozart and all that formal twiddliness but I love Beethoven, Mahler, Debussy, Chopin and the more Romantic composers. I like Aaron Copeland and Vaughn Williams too, especially the sublime, 'Theme On A Variation Of Thomas Tallis' which reduces me to a soggy pulp each and every time I listen.

Shostakovitch is very intense, moving and inspires devotion amongst many classical fans; I wonder if you had any of his stuff in your recent collection, BBB.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Mine is a Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra version, conducted by Sir John Barbirolli; I bought it years ago as a double lp record on Classics For Pleasure. It's regarded as quite an individualistic interpretation as Barbirolli sweetens the extremes to a certain degree; it is a very gentle take on the symphony, but it's my favourite.

Glad there's another vote for the Ninth.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Loving their stuff at the moment. Real head music; a few G&Ts augmenting the experience.

Far out *wacko*

Followed by Tame Impala - Live Versions

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
I agree with Jim's "all Mahler is worth listening to" assertion. My favourites and most played discs are Symphonies 1&5. My Dad is the classical music guru in our family and he has mutliple copies of many of the major and plenty of the less well-known composers.

If you like Mahler, BBB, can I wholeheartedly recommend Richard Strauss. I've grown up with his music (operas, tone poems, orchestral works, pieces for specific instruments) and my love for his music is ever-developing. From the well-known (Also Sprach Zarathustra and let's say The "Alpine Symphony") to the his more demanding (Elektra & Salome) work there are many wonders to explore. My Dad always, always enthuses about R.Strauss' way with brass. And don't get him started on Bela Bartok!!!

Thanks Charlie, I do have Also Sprach Zarathustra among the many records, but it's a piece I'm very familiar with. I'll look out for more Richard Strauss.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
Shostakovitch is very intense, moving and inspires devotion amongst many classical fans; I wonder if you had any of his stuff in your recent collection, BBB.

I thought there was Jim, but when I just checked through, there wasn't any. I'll double check when I'm less tired.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The Bevis Frond- 'Sprawl'.

The Bevis Fond- 'Valedictory Songs'. Brilliant songs in fact.

Bob Marley And The Wailers- 'Natty Dread'.

Wayne Shorter- 'Speak No Evil'.

Wayne Shorter- 'Adam's Apple'.

Idle Race- 'Idle Race'.

Bert Jansch- 'Box Of Love' Transatlantic sampler.

Larry Coryell- 'Spaces'.

John Martyn-' Inside Out'.

The Kinks- 'The Village Green Preservation Society'.

Small Faces- 'Small Faces' Immediate Records. I still think that this is the best 'pop' album of the 60's. What? Better than 'Revolver'? Yep. It's far more fun.

Have a nice Christmas everybody; I've got 'Mad Dogs And Englishmen' cued up for the Christmas entertainment. What a band though eh?

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
A bit of an instrumental day today:

George Winston – December
Steve Reich & Musicians – Music for 18 Musicians
Steve Reich & Musicians – Drumming
Keith Jarrett – The Köln Concert

Merry Christmas to you too, Jim, and to everyone else.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Have a nice Christmas everybody; I've got 'Mad Dogs And Englishmen' cued up for the Christmas entertainment. What a band though eh?

Agreed. I played my copy last night. I've been playing my Joe Cocker LPs since his passing, and the one constant is the high quality of backing musicians on them all.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

My mate from Leeds and his girlfriend came round yesterday, so after visiting a few Charity Shops, we settled own with some good Indian food, great (but expensive) cider, and some good good music.

From ( my slightly hazy) memory, we played:

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Michael Jackson - Off The Wall

OST - Les Parapluies De Cherbourg

Godiego - Magic Monkey

Pan Sonic - X

The Stairs - Mexican R n' B

The Wytches - Annabel Dream Reader

A Minor Forest - In Independence

The Congos - Heart Of The Congos

Cat Power - Moon Pix

I'm not sure how many of the albums got played in their entirity, but they'll be back round on Sunday with another mate from Aylesbury, so we''' be spinning a load more then.

Merry Xmas to all of you real music fans, I hope Santa brings you something nice, I'm waiting until after Xmas for my present thanks to the Discogs seller not being able to find the record he had for sale. Oh well, good things come to those who wait.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Or if he's very lucky, it'll be this rarity.

Having spent an entire lifetime looking through boxes and racks of records I can confirm that this is indeed a pretty regular find; funny though really because it's not that bad. In my younger days as a teacher I can remember that the girls really loved him and he was incredibly popular. I think his voice went but the Q-Tips records still sound pretty good.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
They be on Rise Above Records...

2 albums so far...The Weirding, and The Black Chord

What do they sound like? Well, early Sabbath, a slice of Pink Floyd, a seventies feel to the production. It's progtastic. I saw them live in April 2013 and they were bloody great.

Now listening to Tortoise - It's All Around You

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts