What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 238 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
Yeasayer - Fragrant World

Television - Marquee Moon

Spiritualized - Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space

Two classics, and one I've never heard of. I like discovering new music, just wish I had the time to listen to more.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
220px-Wanderersposter.jpg

The Wanderers - various artists/soundtrack.

Some good stuff on here.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jimbofisher said:

Two classics, and one I've never heard of. I like discovering new music, just wish I had the time to listen to more.

Well, I did offer up some Roy Harper links :)

I'll be honest, I'm looking for more contempory artist, but as I said, time is the biggest constraint.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jimbofisher said:

Well, I did offer up some Roy Harper links :)

I'll be honest, I'm looking for more contempory artist, but as I said, time is the biggest constraint.

I consider Nick Drake, John Martyn and Roy Harper to be pioneers of their type....

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Recently:

'Old And In The Way.' Self-titled. Jerry Garcia + other brilliant players do the bluegrass thing. Nicely recorded and great songs.

John Abercrombie-'Night.' ECM

The Lovin'Spoonful-'Daydream.'

Bob Dylan-' Freewhelin'.

Incredible String Band-'5,000 Spirits.'

Throwing Muses-'Hunkpapa.'

Fleetwood Mac-'Kiln House.'

Sonny Rollins-'Saxophone Colossus.'

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jimbofisher said:

Yeasayer are often described as psychedelic pop which is a good description. This is their 3rd album the best is their first All Hour Cymbals. As for new music we go to two festivals a year (preferably Glastonbury and Latitude) so get to see a lot of new-to-me bands, saw Yeasayer at Glastonbury before had their music. Also have 6 Music on in the car and sometimes at work, if I hear something new I like I then check it out on Spotify. Also we watch very little tv.

Portishead - Dummy

The Horrors - Luminous

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
A nice Sunday afternoon enjoying some beer and the sun

Soul II Soul - Club Classics Vol 1

John Cougar Mellencamp - The Lonesome Jubilee

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

The Beatles - Revolver

Finley Quaye - Maverick A Strike

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

The War On Drugs - Lost In The Dream

for the evening

Wild Beasts - Present Tense

Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Over the weekend and this evening:

Lazeretto - Jack White

Newport 1958 - Mahalia Jackson

Illinoise - Sufjan Stevens

Vauxhall & I - Morrissey

Okonokos - My Morning Jacket

Bertie's Brochures - The Fatima Mansions

A Distant Shore - Tracey Thorn

A Ghost Is Born - Wilco

Is A Woman - Lambchop

7 Skies H3 - The Flaming Lips

The King Of Limbs - Radiohead

Metal Box - PIL

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Lazeretto - Jack White

It's the new obsession. I've got all the White Stripes and other projects too, but this one is, to my ears, beyond them all. Bonkers, brilliant, tuneful, ear-harming - and that's just the first track.

One question though: it's a gimmicky vinyl edition. Hidden tracks, three speeds of play and one side plays from inside to out. Is the latter harmful in any way to my turntable? Presume not. It was just rather strange seeing the arm go from inside to out.

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
and one side plays from inside to out. Is the latter harmful in any way to my turntable? Presume not. It was just rather strange seeing the arm go from inside to out.

That's just fine. There's also recording of Ravel's Bolero that plays inside-out, because it's better for the louder parts to be on the outside grooves.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
nima said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
and one side plays from inside to out. Is the latter harmful in any way to my turntable? Presume not. It was just rather strange seeing the arm go from inside to out.

That's just fine. There's also recording of Ravel's Bolero that plays inside-out, because it's better for the louder parts to be on the outside grooves.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Tonight's playlist, so far:

Vauxhall And I - Moz

I've avoided the reissues because most of my original copies are in good nick, but not this one, so I went for this "remaster". Sound quality: decent.

Illinoise - Sufjan Stevens. Epic sprawl. Works so well across four sides of vinyl.

Lazeretto - JW

The novelties of the playback are quirky enough but as stated above it's the furious finesse of the music that's the "usp" of this album.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Lazeretto - Jack White

It's the new obsession. I've got all the White Stripes and other projects too, but this one is, to my ears, beyond them all. Bonkers, brilliant, tuneful, ear-harming - and that's just the first track.

One question though: it's a gimmicky vinyl edition. Hidden tracks, three speeds of play and one side plays from inside to out. Is the latter harmful in any way to my turntable? Presume not. It was just rather strange seeing the arm go from inside to out.

i've not got my copy on vinyl yet, but it is a splendid album isn't it?

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Managed to get myself an original copy of that album (on RCA Victor, didn't even know that existed) last week. Cracking album, and sound quality so much better than the 80s reissue I bought as a teenager. Then I discovered one reason why: the reissue has two extra tracks squeezed on to it. Glad to have the better sound quality, but those were two of my favourite tracks, so now I'll have to track down a copy of Pieces of a Man!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Led Zeppelin -the first three albums.

The recent reissues prompted me to spend some time with these records. My record collecting buddy hates them with a passion, mainly because of the way in which they ripped off the great blues artists by avoiding compositional credits and their bombastic and histrionic bludgeoning of the blues. I haven't played them for about 20 years or thereabouts so I tried to listen with fresh ears and with the context removed ie I bought the first album when I was 15 and loved it, didn't like the second and quite liked the third, which was not well-received by the critics.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed them all, but what really impressed me was the sheer power of the band: John Bonham's drums in particular; if only Page had played with the delicacy he displays on 'Since I've Been Loving You' more often, if only Plant had toned down the squealing and caterwauling but hey, it was a long time ago and things were different then: heavy blues-rock was the way to go. I was ready to laugh out loud at 'Whole Lotta Love' but when the riff kicks in and Percy wails about his parts and Bonham's drumming thunders in it's nigh-on irresistible. 'Ramble On', 'Tangerine', 'Good Times, Bad Times' and 'Gallows Pole' are still great songs; some of the others, not so great.

I want to listen to them again and, when there's a break in the football, I will:I'm looking forward to it. My favourite Zeppelin tracks? 'Custard Pie' and 'The Rover' from 'Physical Graffiti.'

Just my opinion;other opinions exist.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:

The recent reissues prompted me to spend some time with these records. My record collecting buddy hates them with a passion, mainly because of the way in which they ripped off the great blues artists by avoiding compositional credits and their bombastic and histrionic bludgeoning of the blues.

I have a serious problem with Led Zeppelin, and especially that pilferer of other people's songs, the cabbage patch doll look alike Jimmy Page.

When they're good, they're very good, but song theft (I'm not talking about riffs, and chord sequences, but riffs, chord sequences, lyrics and melodies) without any credit to the original song writer is a massive no no for me, and unforgivable.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:

The recent reissues prompted me to spend some time with these records. My record collecting buddy hates them with a passion, mainly because of the way in which they ripped off the great blues artists by avoiding compositional credits and their bombastic and histrionic bludgeoning of the blues.

I have a serious problem with Led Zeppelin, and especially that pilferer of other people's songs, the cabbage patch doll look alike Jimmy Page.

When they're good, they're very good, but song theft (I'm not talking about riffs, and chord sequences, but riffs, chord sequences, lyrics and melodies) without any credit to the original song writer is a massive no no for me, and unforgivable.

Yes, well my mate would agree with you 100%. It's not hard to fathom out why they did this though: £££££££££££££.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
another stunner...............

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours Hoffman 180g 45 rpm remaster pressed at Pallas, Geramny

Absolutely love my Gyro - sounds fantastic!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:

Yes, well my mate would agree with you 100%. It's not hard to fathom out why they did this though: £££££££££££££.

No problem with them earning, but they should have shared the song writing royalties, and then people like Jake Holmes would've got their fair share.

As I said above, unforgivable. If I ever met Page, it would be the first thing I'd say to him.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
This one, as I Love LIVE Albums!!! And this RP6 / Goldring Elite COMBO rocks! Love MC carts, the detail, the sound stage is out of MM carts.

My next and final upgrade.............

Icon Audio PS2 phono &

MC Cart - possibly Benz Micro Ace

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts