What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 240 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
As for personal attacks on someones appearance, I find that somewhat childish. Musicians have to look a certain way? Bah! Stop whinging, and enjoy!

I agree, but I wouldn't revert to personal attacks if he payed his dues. He's a thief. End of.

You are ill-informed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTsvs-pAGDc

And you're quite simply, wrong!

Not at all similar then? :rofl:

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I highlighted the wrong part. It should have been...

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I agree, but I wouldn't revert to personal attacks if he payed his dues. He's a thief. End of.

In any event, if one wants to take the moral high ground, then one wouldn't listen to music at all. After all, record companies have been ripping off their artists for years. Time for a music boycott?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
I highlighted the wrong part. It should have been...

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

In any event, if one wants to take the moral high ground, then one wouldn't listen to music at all. After all, record companies have been ripping off their artists for years. Time for a music boycott?

We all know that Record Companies have been ripping off the public and their artist, and let's not forget all those dodgy managers, but that still doesn't alter the fact that Jimmy Page saw Jake Holmes in concert, liked one of his songs, and decided to use it as a basis for a song that he took sole writing credit for.

Why is it that Led Zeppelin fans are incapable of saying, yes, he stole the song, and he should have given at the very least a co-writing credit for it. Is that so hard to do???????????????

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
We all know that Record Companies have been ripping off the public and their artist,

So that makes it alright? If you really want to take the moral high ground, you should stop buying music, "end of".

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Why is it that Led Zeppelin fans are incapable of saying, yes, he stole the song, and he should have given at the very least a co-writing credit for it. Is that so hard to do???????????????

Au contraire mon ami, I'm quite happy to admit that Page used some of those old blues tunes as a basis for songs he claimed benefit for. My contention is that he transformed those tunes into something beyond. Does that make it ok? No, not really. Am I bothered? No. One could argue that LZ brought attention to artists that would otherwise have been overlooked.

I really have very little interest in the politics/rights and wrongs of music, if I like it, I like it. Much more important things to worry about...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
We all know that Record Companies have been ripping off the public and their artist,

So that makes it alright? If you really want to take the moral high ground, you should stop buying music, "end of".

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Au contraire mon ami, I'm quite happy to admit that Page used some of those old blues tunes as a basis for songs he claimed benefit for. My contention is that he transformed those tunes into something beyond. Does that make it ok? No, not really. Am I bothered? No. One could argue that LZ brought attention to artists that would otherwise have been overlooked.

I really have very little interest in the politics/rights and wrongs of music, if I like it, I like it. Much more important things to worry about...

Did he or did he not see Jake Holmes and steal his song "Dazed and Confused" as a basis for the Led Zep song "Dazed and Confused", and did he then take sole writinf credit for that song knowing that he had stolen it?

A one word answer only please?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Did you not read...

Freddy58 said:

?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
Did you not read...

Freddy58 said:

?

Are you a fu*king politician? Can you not answer a direct question?

The word you're desperately trying to avoid saying is "Yes"

I fu*king give up. :roll:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
I'm a bit confused. You seem to think it's ok for record companies to rip off their artists, but get bothered by who wrote what?

When did he say that I thought it was ok for record companies to rip off their artists?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Jim, Rising Above Bedlam is a great album. Really love Jaw Wobble's work, he is also great fun live.

Jack White - Lazaretto

The Specials - The Specials

The Specials - More Specials

Hi jimbo...yes, I've played 'Rising Above Bedlam' a few times now and I love it. Love how his bass anchors things and the way everything else floats about above it. I'll be on the lookout for some of his other stuff. It;s beautiful music.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
In fact, forget about it. I don't think I can be bothered with this forum any more. Too many folks with points to prove...

Freddy, this isn't a point about silly cables or what speakers or cd versus vinyl or something equally pointless; rather, it's a question of fundamental decency and honesty and how we live our lives.You're clearly a decent bloke and you know ripping people off is wrong, especially when you have power and clout and they're struggling to earn a living.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The original Dazed & Confused is pretty dire, YES Page should of given him credit - but in all honesty Page made it sound loads better!

I am sure Page has seen the error of his ways.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
As it's supposed to be what vinyl are we listening to, I've listened to the remastered Led Zeppelin ,1,2 and 3. The first album had to go back as the I Can't Quit You track was crackling but my new copy is superb.

Here's my opinion.

Zep 2 Brilliant.

Zep 3 The drums don't stand out enough on Since I've Been Loving You, Gallows Pole was awesome so it's brilliant.

Zep 1. This has now had 2 listens, the cymbals don't shimmer as much as they did on the original so that a plus, the feedback on Dazed and Confused is quieter, otherwise it's brilliant.

I should say I bought all the originals when they came out in 69 and 70 or whenever , it was a long time ago and I was only 15 when I bought Zep 1 so it's nice to have a copy that's not been played on a Dansette etc.

I might be biased as they were always my favouite band.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:

Not really.

http://www.hark.com/clips/qmqjfdsztg-howard-stern-exposes-led-zeppelin-as-a-farce
On Led Zeppelin's album Led Zeppelin II (1969), parts of the song "Bring It On Home" were copied from Sonny Boy Williamson's 1963 recording of "Bring It On Home," written by Willie Dixon. On the same album, "The Lemon Song" included an adaptation of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor." In 1972, Arc Music, the publishing arm of Chess Records, brought a lawsuit against Led Zeppelin for copyright infringement over "Bring It On Home" and "The Lemon Song"; the case was settled out of court for an undisclosed sum.[/list]Led Zeppelin's song "Whole Lotta Love" contained lyrics that were derivative of Willie Dixon's 1962 song "You Need Love." In 1985, Dixon filed a copyright infringement suit, resulting in an out-of-court settlement. Later pressings of Led Zeppelin II credit Dixon as co-writer.[18][/list]Led Zeppelin also paid a settlement to the publisher of Ritchie Valens' song "Ooh! My Head" over "Boogie with Stu" (from their album Physical Graffiti) which borrowed heavily from Valens' song.[19]Led Zeppelin's song "Dazed and Confused" was derived from a 1967 Jake Holmes song of the same name, which had been performed by Jimmy Page when he was with The Yardbirds.[32][33] In June 2010, Holmes filed a lawsuit against the guitarist for copyright infringement in a United States District Court, claiming Page knowingly copied his work.[34] The case was dismissed with prejudice in January 2012 following a stipulation filed by both parties.[35] The 2012 Led Zeppelin release Celebration Day credits the song to "Jimmy Page, inspired by Jake Holmes".
Only days after the Supreme Court decision, we can see its troubling implications. For example, the band Led Zeppelin is preparing to release a new version of its classic album Led Zeppelin IV. This new release provides the perfect opportunity for the estate of the obscure rock and roll guitarist Randy California to claim that the iconic opening chords of Led Zeppelin’s 1971 “Stairway to Heaven” plagiarizes the song “Taurus” that California wrote for his band Spirit several years earlier.

There is every reason to believe that Led Zeppelin’s guitarist Jimmy Page was influenced by “Taurus” when he wrote “Stairway to Heaven.” In fact, on its first U.S. tour in 1968, Led Zeppelin opened for Spirit. Over the next year, the two bands played on the same bill many more times, and Led Zeppelin performed some Spirit covers. Jimmy Page undoubtedly heard California’s song, and there is an uncanny similarity.
[/list]

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
stevebrock said:

Not really.

http://www.hark.com/clips/qmqjfdsztg-howard-stern-exposes-led-zeppelin-as-a-farce
On Led Zeppelin's album Led Zeppelin II (1969), parts of the song "Bring It On Home" were copied from Sonny Boy Williamson's 1963 recording of "Bring It On Home," written by Willie Dixon. On the same album, "The Lemon Song" included an adaptation of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor." In 1972, Arc Music, the publishing arm of Chess Records, brought a lawsuit against Led Zeppelin for copyright infringement over "Bring It On Home" and "The Lemon Song"; the case was settled out of court for an undisclosed sum.[/list]Led Zeppelin's song "Whole Lotta Love" contained lyrics that were derivative of Willie Dixon's 1962 song "You Need Love." In 1985, Dixon filed a copyright infringement suit, resulting in an out-of-court settlement. Later pressings of Led Zeppelin II credit Dixon as co-writer.[18][/list]Led Zeppelin also paid a settlement to the publisher of Ritchie Valens' song "Ooh! My Head" over "Boogie with Stu" (from their album Physical Graffiti) which borrowed heavily from Valens' song.[19]Led Zeppelin's song "Dazed and Confused" was derived from a 1967 Jake Holmes song of the same name, which had been performed by Jimmy Page when he was with The Yardbirds.[32][33] In June 2010, Holmes filed a lawsuit against the guitarist for copyright infringement in a United States District Court, claiming Page knowingly copied his work.[34] The case was dismissed with prejudice in January 2012 following a stipulation filed by both parties.[35] The 2012 Led Zeppelin release Celebration Day credits the song to "Jimmy Page, inspired by Jake Holmes".
Only days after the Supreme Court decision, we can see its troubling implications. For example, the band Led Zeppelin is preparing to release a new version of its classic album Led Zeppelin IV. This new release provides the perfect opportunity for the estate of the obscure rock and roll guitarist Randy California to claim that the iconic opening chords of Led Zeppelin’s 1971 “Stairway to Heaven” plagiarizes the song “Taurus” that California wrote for his band Spirit several years earlier.

There is every reason to believe that Led Zeppelin’s guitarist Jimmy Page was influenced by “Taurus” when he wrote “Stairway to Heaven.” In fact, on its first U.S. tour in 1968, Led Zeppelin opened for Spirit. Over the next year, the two bands played on the same bill many more times, and Led Zeppelin performed some Spirit covers. Jimmy Page undoubtedly heard California’s song, and there is an uncanny similarity.
[/list]

BBB, o dear - thanks for that - I was a mere nipper when this was going on, quite shocked really

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
OK - I'll talk about vinyl!

I just got hold of a replacement copy of The Doors - Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine double LP after the copy I bought from Amazon last week skipped on first play, and was also scratched.

It's a real mix of styles and a good showcase of the band. Plus it sounds bloomin' great on my new TT.

Everytime I hear the opening bars of The End, I also hear helicopters. I love the smell of napalm Marmite in the morning.

EDIT: OK, why does the strikethrough text function not work on the word napalm above? Hmm? Mods!!!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
BBB, o dear - thanks for that - I was a mere nipper when this was going on, quite shocked really

I didn't want to keep going on about this, but a lot of people are not aware of the truth, and they need to know that it wasn't just the odd riff, or the occasional lyric that was used, but huge parts of other people's songs.

This doesn't stop Led Zeppelin from being one of the great rock bands, they are, and they certainly changed and put their own stamp on the material they stole, but the problem I have with them, is that they did steal it, they didn't give due credit to the original artist, and that's unforgiveable.

I have several Led Zeppelin albums, and I do play them occasionally, but I'm quite uncomfortable with the knowledge that I put money in Jimmy Page's pocket. He's a bad man.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
stevebrock said:

Not really.

[/list]

'Taurus' does sound like 'Stairway To Heaven'; I prefer the Sirit song and Randy California as a guitarist. The problem with this similarity is that it's a fairly standard, if very pretty, A minor, D, Fmajor progression with some twiddly bits thrown in. I think it's easier to say lyrics were filched unless of course it's a direct steal from Bert Jansch like 'Black Waterside.' but that's another more complicated story. Jansch always maintained he'd been ripped off and it's pretty evident that he had.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
:rant: This thread recently has left me “Dazed and Confused” I feel “Trampled Under Foot” there does not seem to be a “Whole Lotta Love” on here but “That’s The Way” it is.

BBB has shown “No Quarter” and I feel like “Going To California” on a “Night Flight” and be “Ten Years Gone” but I promise I won’t “Ramble On” any more and let’s all be “Friends” :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS