What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 229 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

heckle-back.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I've just purchased the new Woods LP, With Light With Love. After a first full listen I'd say it's up there with Bend Beyond and earlier albums.

What a band!! It's their particular slant on that poppy-folky-psych-y-west-coast-y thing that does it. Modern masters of that niche.

Also bought a grab bag of used stuff which I'll work through tonight:

a early singles collection by The Icicle Works,

a Sinatra/Jobim collaboration,

Architecture & Morality - OMD and

So Far - CSNY

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Milo_Myage said:
Currently spinning Graham Parker and the Rumour - Squeezing Out Sparks. Rather shamefully my previous exposure to Graham has come only from the movie This Is 40, been meaning to have a listen ever since so when i saw this a nice copy of this in a charity shop i snapped it up. Best £1.50 i've spent in ages.

If you get a chance, try 'Max' by The Rumour ;)

I'll add it to my list, cheers!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson, do you listen to Os Mutantes at all?

As with many bands there's some indifferent stuff but the best is absolutely sublime. Check out the album "De Volta Ao Planeta Dos Mutantes" on spotify, and apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs.

Love OMD to pieces, remind me of my youth and of my sister. Architecture And Morality is just a stunning album.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
omnibeard said:
Charlie Jefferson, do you listen to Os Mutantes at all?

As with many bands there's some indifferent stuff but the best is absolutely sublime. Check out the album "De Volta Ao Planeta Dos Mutantes" on spotify, and apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs.

Love OMD to pieces, remind me of my youth and of my sister. Architecture And Morality is just a stunning album.

Hi Omni,

I've only got the self-titled LP by Os Mutantes, which I like but I know little else, so no egg-sucking going on. I will investigate accordingly.

Strangely, OMD also remind me of my sister!!! She also had that LP.

For the last few days I've listened to these things:

With Light & With Love - Woods (lots of times, both sides. Brilliant LP)

The Grand Wazoo - Frank/Mothers

Voice Of The Heart - Carpenters

Breakfast In America - Supertramp

Fake Lights From The Land - Richard Hawley

Heaven In A Wild Flower - Nick Drake

Okonokos - MMJ

Time Fades Away - Neil Young

Early Recordings - Link Wray

Die Sieben Todsunden - Brecht/WeillSFSO

Stay On These Roads - A-ha 7"

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Funny, the sister thing... My earliest musical memories, bar Little White Bull by Tommy Steele, are all from my sister (Virgin Prunes (sorry for brackets within brackets but Gavin Friday sang on The Wonderful And Frightening World Of - perhaps my favourite Fall LP), Xmal Deutschland, OMD, Psychedelic Furs, The Cramps and many more punk/goth nightmares) all of which are still very dear to me.

For some reason MMJ just do not turn me on. I'm guessing they are kind of, and I stress kind of, ballpark to stuff like Calexico, which I absolutely love.

Funny thing music, innit?

Have been listening to a lot of, wait for it.... Roger Whittaker. My god, his voice is like melted honey. The Last Farewell, A Special Kind Of Man and I Don't Believe In If Anymore are top of the tree. How I reconcile that with listening to Napalm Death, Borbetomagus and Venetian Snares, god only knows.

I am an atheist.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
omnibeard said:
Funny, the sister thing... My earliest musical memories, bar Little White Bull by Tommy Steele, are all from my sister (Virgin Prunes (sorry for brackets within brackets but Gavin Friday sang on The Wonderful And Frightening World Of - perhaps my favourite Fall LP), Xmal Deutschland, OMD, Psychedelic Furs, The Cramps and many more punk/goth nightmares) all of which are still very dear to me.

For some reason MMJ just do not turn me on. I'm guessing they are kind of, and I stress kind of, ballpark to stuff like Calexico, which I absolutely love.

Funny thing music, innit?

Have been listening to a lot of, wait for it.... Roger Whittaker. My god, his voice is like melted honey. The Last Farewell, A Special Kind Of Man and I Don't Believe In If Anymore are top of the tree. How I reconcile that with listening to Napalm Death, Borbetomagus and Venetian Snares, god only knows.

I am an atheist.

You have a great "catholic" taste, for an atheist.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Anyway, back to the vinyl...

Big Black - Songs About F**king

Pixies - Surfer Rosa

Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters

Crucifu*ks - Wisconsin

Crass - Penis Envy

Rudimentary Peni - Death Church

Einsturzende Neubaten - Tabula Rasa

There's a link there somewhere?

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Ha, penis gets EDITED but the plural peni does not. I was a programmer in a former life, and that is shoddy/over zealous.

I worked for a company, one of our clients was a major charity dealing with men's health, you can imagine, prostrate this, urethra that. The guy in charge of the firewall was a born again Christian. The singular of peni was not allowed.

Draw your own conclusions.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
omnibeard said:
Ha, Catholic Block, from my favourite Sonic Youth album.

Maybe I should rethink.

Ah, Sonic Youth!! How Daydream Nation soundtracked my post-graduate, post-Smiths slough of despond. Simlulataneously, curing and killing me. So to speak.

Calexico have made some good records down the years. Including an excellent collaboration with MMJ's Jim James on a cover of Dylan's Goin' To Acapulco.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I could listen to The Mariner's Revenge Song by The Decemberists over and over again. But I just can't do MMJ.

Am I wrong?

The two things are not necessarily related.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
omnibeard said:
I could listen to The Mariner's Revenge Song by The Decemberists over and over again. But I just can't do MMJ.

Am I wrong?

The two things are not necessarily related.

That is a strange one because, as you say, they are not world's apart. The joys and mysteries of taste.

Tonight:

Colfax - The Delines

Love Story - Lloyd Cole

Time - ELO

Passage - Carpenters

and digitally, Morrissey's strange new single. World Peace Is None Of Your Business.

Lastly, Work & Non-Work by Broadcast.

Currently. I'm at work doing some non-work.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A wonderful curio from the 70's. Acoustic blues on side 1 and then side 2 is taken up with "The Hunt", a solo synthesiser/mellotron prog "song" railing against fox hunting.

MI0000665228.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
omnibeard said:
Great record that Broadcast LP. Do you know Woodbine?

Also do you listen to Pink Mountaintops and/or Black Mountain? Think you would like them.

Hi,

Yes, I've got a couple of Black Mountian LPs although I never really got or got into them. Then again, their 'thing' isn't a country mile away from one of MMJ's live tendencies: long-form, electric, drum-driven workouts ala The Grateful Dead & Neil Young.

Don't know the music of the other two bands, but will ad to my 'to investigate' list.

Thanks.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Don't know the music of the other two bands, but will ad to my 'to investigate' list.

That's getting quite a big lists isn't it Charlie. :)

Add Red Snapper-Prince Blimey to it. Dance music, with real drums, guitars, sax, and double bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f7hPLQpaDQ

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:
A wonderful curio from the 70's. Acoustic blues on side 1 and then side 2 is taken up with "The Hunt", a solo synthesiser/mellotron prog "song" railing against fox hunting.

MI0000665228.jpg

I saw a copy of 'Split' for £20, near mint. Too much to pay?

Par for the course these days for an original Liberty Records copy, and near mint too . 2 or 3 years ago you would have got it for about £5 or so, but 2nd hand prices are getting a bit silly these days on Ebay and such like.

Classic album mind.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts