What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 230 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Don't know the music of the other two bands, but will ad to my 'to investigate' list.

That's getting quite a big lists isn't it Charlie. :)

Add Red Snapper-Prince Blimey to it. Dance music, with real drums, guitars, sax, and double bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f7hPLQpaDQ

Yes, the list is ever-growing. Plus, Eno-Hyde, Burning Spear, JamieXX's new single, the recent St.Vincemt LP, upcoming albums by Moz, MMJ, B&S. Then add to that some Coltrane albums I've ordered. Oh and a multitude of second hand things I'll just happen to come across on Saturday.

It's a good job I'm not obsessive or anything.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:
Classic album mind.

Yeah, I want it :)

Good man.

Talking of classic..

0000152955_500.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Don't know the music of the other two bands, but will ad to my 'to investigate' list.

Add Red Snapper-Prince Blimey to it. Dance music, with real drums, guitars, sax, and double bass.

Yes, the list is ever-growing. Plus, Eno-Hyde, Burning Spear, JamieXX's new single, the recent St.Vincemt LP, upcoming albums by Moz, MMJ, B&S. Then add to that some Coltrane albums I've ordered. Oh and a multitude of second hand things I'll just happen to come across on Saturday.

I liked the first single by St Vincent from the new album, and came close to buying the LP on the strength of it, but then I heard another track, and wasn't quite so enamoured with it.

I'm not sure if Red Snapper would be your thing, but I do recommend listening to "Prince Blimey", it's really rather good. ;)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
First free night in a week or so...the hell of coursework deadlines, Charlie. I won't be tempted to do that again a hurry. Burning Spear records are lovely by the way. Try Bunny Wailer's 'Blackheart Man' too-highly recommended.

Nucleus-'Elastic Rock.' On repeat.

On the Tony McPhee thing, well, it was great to hear somebody mention his voice; it's usually the guitar. Terrific blues singer.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

I liked the first single by St Vincent from the new album, and came close to buying the LP on the strength of it, but then I heard another track, and wasn't quite so enamoured with it.

I'm not sure if Red Snapper would be your thing, but I do recommend listening to "Prince Blimey", it's really rather good. ;)

I've not been able to locate that track on Spotify, as yet, but will try You Tube. That's once I've ceased to be sidetracked by a stack of playlists I've created recently but not played. Thanks BBB, Omni, Jim. Your work will not go unrecognised. By my local record shop owner and my banker.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
First free night in a week or so...the hell of coursework deadlines, Charlie. I won't be tempted to do that again a hurry. Burning Spear records are lovely by the way. Try Bunny Wailer's 'Blackheart Man' too-highly recommended.

On the Tony McPhee thing, well, it was great to hear somebody mention his voice; it's usually the guitar. Terrific blues singer.

Hi Jim,

I imagine you are glad it's all over. At least for another year. We've just got the OMR sheets to send off and then we're done. Phew!

As mentioned in the post above, thanks for the recommendations. I seem to have a shifting line that divides being satisfied with a Spotify-only "copy" of an album and actually owning it, where possible, on vinyl. That line is less a blur in recent weeks/months/years and more frequently non existent.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:

Hi Jim,

I imagine you are glad it's all over. At least for another year. We've just got the OMR sheets to send off and then we're done. Phew!

As mentioned in the post above, thanks for the recommendations. I seem to have a shifting line that divides being satisfied with a Spotify-only "copy" of an album and actually owning it, where possible, on vinyl. That line is less a blur in recent weeks/months/years and more frequently non existent.

Hi Charlie

No, it was over forever a couple of years ago...I went back to help out 'cause they were in a big mess. Damn near killed me such was the mess. No more, Charlie, not for all the records in the John Peel archive....erm well, ya know, f the money's right....well....maybe...I mean...

David Crosby-'If I Could Only Remember My Name.' Somewhat apposite.

newwy

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
just rediscovered my old collection of Gong lps...lol

This is far out stuff and very good. I used to listen to this stuff about 35 years ago when experimenting with 'substances' as a teenager does....lol

Camembert Electrique and Flying Teapot...far out man!!

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Tonight...

Herbie Mann - Mississipi Gambler

God Speed You Back Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists...

John Martyn - Solid Air

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

EDIT: and a bit of Astra - The Black Chord before bedtime

:shifty:

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Michael Chapman-'Rainmaker.'

Neil Young-'Rust Never Sleeps.'

Bringing back stuff I really should have forgotten about. That's music for ya.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

396111_1_f.jpg

Not strictly vinyl, more like CD, but I can't be bothered to post on the other thread,

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
396111_1_f.jpg

Not strictly vinyl, more like CD, but I can't be bothered to post on the other thread,

nice, not heard that for a long time, may have to give it a listen over the weekend. Only have it on cd too, wonder if it was ever released on vinyl

The Doors - Absolutely Live

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Michael Chapman-'Rainmaker.'

Neil Young-'Rust Never Sleeps.'

Bringing back stuff I really should have forgotten about. That's music for ya.

Eh? Why should you forget it?

Girls. Women. Past lives. I'm glad I can still remember it though, Freddy.

Yeah, I get you....

I was listening to Chicago Transit Authority today. First heard it back in the day. A lot has happened in the interim, but that album has always been a constant...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
396111_1_f.jpg

nice, not heard that for a long time, may have to give it a listen over the weekend. Only have it on cd too, wonder if it was ever released on vinyl

It is available on vinyl, but pricey, hence I stuck to my CD.

It's the only album I have by her, but I think I'll look at getting something else, maybe Dynamite.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
jimbofisher said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
396111_1_f.jpg

It is available on vinyl, but pricey, hence I stuck to my CD.

It's the only album I have by her, but I think I'll look at getting something else, maybe Dynamite.

yes, as, checked it on Discogs. Vinyl only released in Sweden. Don't have any others of hers. May have to Spotify.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts