What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 228 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BBB,

any thoughts on A Minor Forest?
I have a question Charlie. On side 3, at the end of one of the tracks/beginning oif the next, there's a sound a bit lke a cd skipping/record with too much fluff on the needle, I guess it's supposed to be there, but I just wanted it confirmed.
Hi BBB,

Yes, don't worry. It's part of the track. Unless we've both got exactly the same fault in exactly the same place.
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Voice Of The Heart - Carpenters

A work of sublime beauty. The Steely Dan of achingly, smoothly rendered sorrow.

Gotta Let This Hen Out - Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians

Live capture of the English Robert Pollard

Bob Dylan debut LP
 

Jim-W

New member
Jul 29, 2013
2
0
0
Tonight:

Man-'Rhinos, Winos and Lunatics.' Can't get this off the turntable. The Welsh Quicksilver Messenger Service with CSN vocals.

Quicksilver Messenger Service-Self-titled debut . The American West coast Man.

My Bloody Valentine-'Loveless.'

David Blue-'Nice Baby And The Angel' and 'Stories.' He began as a Dylan copyist and ended up writing deeply affecting songs. Great records.
 

Jim-W

New member
Jul 29, 2013
2
0
0
Charlie Jefferson said:
Voice Of The Heart - Carpenters

A work of sublime beauty. The Steely Dan of achingly, smoothly rendered sorrow.

Gotta Let This Hen Out - Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians

Live capture of the English Robert Pollard

Bob Dylan debut LP
Don't you hear Syd Barrett too, Charlie?
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Voice Of The Heart - Carpenters

A work of sublime beauty. The Steely Dan of achingly, smoothly rendered sorrow.

Gotta Let This Hen Out - Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians

Live capture of the English Robert Pollard

Bob Dylan debut LP
Don't you hear Syd Barrett too, Charlie?
Yes, very much so, Jim. Good call.
 

DIB

Well-known member
May 21, 2009
160
33
18,620
Jim-W said:
Tonight:

Man-'Rhinos, Winos and Lunatics.' Can't get this off the turntable. The Welsh Quicksilver Messenger Service with CSN vocals.
Another Man fan here Jim. I recently bought this 5 CD set..



..not bad for a tenner.

I'm currently listening to this double LP..



.. a great live album with a sublime version of "C'mon" and a Welsh male voice choir to boot.

.,
 

Jim-W

New member
Jul 29, 2013
2
0
0
DIB said:
Jim-W said:
Tonight:

Man-'Rhinos, Winos and Lunatics.' Can't get this off the turntable. The Welsh Quicksilver Messenger Service with CSN vocals.
Another Man fan here Jim. I recently bought this 5 CD set..



..not bad for a tenner.

I'm currently listening to this double LP..



.. a great live album with a sublime version of "C'mon" and a Welsh male voice choir to boot.

Hi DIB. Yes, they were a great band and very underrated. The 'Original Album Series' looks like fantastic value. What a shame they don't release this stuff in a cheap 5 record vinyl package; perhaps the record company thinks there's no demand but I'd buy it and I know a good few others who would welcome it.

.,
 

jimbofisher

Well-known member
Aug 17, 2007
58
18
18,545
The Doors - Morrison Hotel

Not listened to this for ages, dug it out as mentioned in latest WHF edition. Peace Frog is an awesome track, on a great album. Will be listening to more of The Doors this weekend. Mainly have them on vinyl.
 

Freddy58

Well-known member
Jan 24, 2014
25
1
10,545
jimbofisher said:
The Doors - Morrison Hotel

Not listened to this for ages, dug it out as mentioned in latest WHF edition. Peace Frog is an awesome track, on a great album. Will be listening to more of The Doors this weekend. Mainly have them on vinyl.
The Doors, a band I need to hear more of...
 

Freddy58

Well-known member
Jan 24, 2014
25
1
10,545
Freddy58 said:
I assume that most will know this, but for those that don't, I strongly urge you to try 'Colosseum Live'. It's an album I've loved for years, and still play on a regular basis. Here's a flavour
Totally underwhelmed eh?
 

DIB

Well-known member
May 21, 2009
160
33
18,620
Arrived today...

ic

.. the first LP of a scheduled release of all WT's albums on Provogue Records coming out this year.

Not to everybodies taste, but I love Walter Trout's music. I have been to see him countless times, and bought loads of his albums. He is currently gravely ill with liver failure and is awaiting a suitable donor/ liver transplant back in the US. Walter's not a rich man but he is an honest, hard-working stalwart of the blues, and always gives nothing less than 100% live. His fans worldwide have been donating towards the not inconsiderable cost of such medical procedures over there. There was a major benefit gig last weekend at the Shepherds Bush Empire and there are similar events being planned elsewhere. My way of donating is to buy all the back catalogue of Walter's on vinyl this year. I have bought the first 3 Lps and the remaining 7 will be released on a monthly basis, through until December.

.
 

geordie777

New member
May 16, 2012
12
0
0
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl Sessions

Malcolm McClaren & The Bootzilla Orchestra - Waltz Darling

Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes

Deep Purple - Shades Of Deep Purple

The Fall - White Lightening

House Of Love - The Fontane Album

:) :)
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Colfax - The Delines

Voice Of The Heart - Carpenters

Spirit Of Eden - Talk Talk

Laughing Stock - Talk Talk

Van Occupanther - Midlake

Queen Of Denmark - John Grant

Ball Of Eyes - Placebo

Roxy/Elsewhere - Zappa/The Mothers (I was listening to The Yellow Shark in the car on the way home. Would love a vinyl copy of it, if it exists)
 

jimbofisher

Well-known member
Aug 17, 2007
58
18
18,545
geordie777 said:
Malcolm McClaren & The Bootzilla Orchestra - Waltz Darling
Love that album. When I first auditioned my Rega took it with me. Played first two tracks. The salesman said they must get the album it is such a great demo record.
 

Milo_Myage

New member
Aug 6, 2013
15
0
0
Given a 1st spin to a couple of new purchases today.

First up was Then Thickens - Death Cap at Anglezarke. I pre-ordered this from the labels website ages ago and almost forgot about it, a lovely surprise. Clear vinyl limited to 100 with a hand signed lyric insert and a cd copy as well. Much prefer a cd over download code.

Currently spinning Graham Parker and the Rumour - Squeezing Out Sparks. Rather shamefully my previous exposure to Graham has come only from the movie This Is 40, been meaning to have a listen ever since so when i saw this a nice copy of this in a charity shop i snapped it up. Best £1.50 i've spent in ages.
 

DIB

Well-known member
May 21, 2009
160
33
18,620
Milo_Myage said:
Currently spinning Graham Parker and the Rumour - Squeezing Out Sparks. Rather shamefully my previous exposure to Graham has come only from the movie This Is 40, been meaning to have a listen ever since so when i saw this a nice copy of this in a charity shop i snapped it up. Best £1.50 i've spent in ages.
One of my favourites, a great LP. For some totally unknown reason I appear to have 3 copies in my collection :quest:

.
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Laughing Stock - Talk Talk

Groovy Decoy - Robyn Hitchcock

Flemish Altruism - A Minor Forest

Electric (Mixes) - Pet Shop Boys

Roxy & Elsewhere - FZ/Mothers

I've read this features studio overdubs (not sure to what extent exactly) but this is a supreme live album. FZ and this incarnation of the Mothers is very wondeful thing to behold.
 

Freddy58

Well-known member
Jan 24, 2014
25
1
10,545
Milo_Myage said:
Currently spinning Graham Parker and the Rumour - Squeezing Out Sparks. Rather shamefully my previous exposure to Graham has come only from the movie This Is 40, been meaning to have a listen ever since so when i saw this a nice copy of this in a charity shop i snapped it up. Best £1.50 i've spent in ages.
If you get a chance, try 'Max' by The Rumour ;)
 

DIB

Well-known member
May 21, 2009
160
33
18,620
Freddy58 said:
Milo_Myage said:
Currently spinning Graham Parker and the Rumour - Squeezing Out Sparks. Rather shamefully my previous exposure to Graham has come only from the movie This Is 40, been meaning to have a listen ever since so when i saw this a nice copy of this in a charity shop i snapped it up. Best £1.50 i've spent in ages.
If you get a chance, try 'Max' by The Rumour ;)
Seconded

.
 

geordie777

New member
May 16, 2012
12
0
0
Nice relaxing Saturday afternoon listening to

The Stranglers - Black & White (love this record)

The Stranglers - Rattus Norveigius (Classic)

The Smiths - Meat Is Murder

Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline (Love listening to this when I'm chilling)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts