What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 227 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
survivor said:
Anyway, isn`t it great listening to music late on a Sunday night and not have to worry about work tomorrow? Good days!
I'm sure it is, but I've been watching the telly. Oh, and I was working yesterday and today, but atleast I don't have to work tomorrow.

survivor said:
Change of subject but I saw you at the theatre in 1985 in `Run For Your Wife`! It was good but you can`t beat `Carry On Camping`!
I remember you, but it got quite annoying when you burst into "Eye Of The Tiger" every time I had a line. :grin:

Personally, I loved doing Up The Khyber, we actually got to travel abroad for that one, Wales I think. :grin:
 

survivor

New member
Mar 31, 2008
32
0
0
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
survivor said:
Anyway, isn`t it great listening to music late on a Sunday night and not have to worry about work tomorrow? Good days!
I'm sure it is, but I've been watching the telly. Oh, and I was working yesterday and today, but atleast I don't have to work tomorrow.

survivor said:
Change of subject but I saw you at the theatre in 1985 in `Run For Your Wife`! It was good but you can`t beat `Carry On Camping`!
I remember you, but it got quite annoying when you burst into "Eye Of The Tiger" every time I had a line. :grin:

Personally, I loved doing Up The Khyber, we actually got to travel abroad for that one, Wales I think. :grin:
Ha! Nice one BBB. Enjoy your day off tomorrow. :)
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Beer, food, vinyl. Sunday night/Monday morning:

Arrival - Abba

Bob Dylan debut

(found an original UK stereo in a charity shop for £1. Two cleans later, it's still got a bit of static but what a brutal record. A young man, twenty years old I think, fixated on the idea of death. Compelling listening. This is great, but it's actually before he even got good, by his standards. I know these songs well but it's the first vinyl version I've owned).

Voice of the Heart - Carpenters

a posthumous release. That voice, like Bobs Dylan and Mould, truly knew of what it sang about.

Spirit of Eden - Talk Talk

Everyone's favourite hi-fi listen these days. But I was there on the day of release at Select-a-disc or was it Andy's in Northampton back in those post-Smiths days, oh yes I was!!! I must have read a favourable review (Q mag probably) although I had a copy of previous album, The Colour of Spring, which I quite liked. I took Spirit Of Eden home and me and my flat mate sat there slightly non plussed. Many listens later, we were hooked.

Gets Schooled - John Grant

Harry Nilsson's Greatest Music

The Ink Spots In Hi-Fi

Future Boy - Cicero

Check Your Head - Beastie Boys

Gotta Let This Hen Out - Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians
 

Jim-W

New member
Jul 29, 2013
2
0
0
Matthew Sweet-'Girlfriend.'

Matthew Sweet-'Altered Beast.'

Matthew Sweet-'100% Fun.'

Matthew Sweet-'Clear Blue Sky.' signed by Matthew Sweet! :)

Brought these down from the loft to play today. The first three plug into Big Star, The Beatles and The Byrds and are wonderful records.

'Clear Blue Sky' is less striking but with a few good songs.

Recommended to fans of jangling guitars and winsome, heartbroken voices. Beautiful records.
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Freddy58 said:
'Calling All Stations' was definitely their weakest album, but I wouldn't call it bad
Bad is a relative concept. Yet, having heard that LP on several occasions (one of my brother-in-laws favourite bands) I have to agree with the more absolute conclusion: it's cack. Luckily, my brother-in-law now lives in Brisbane so my chances of hearing it are significantly reduced.
 

Jim-W

New member
Jul 29, 2013
2
0
0
:rofl:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Freddy58 said:
'Calling All Stations' was definitely their weakest album, but I wouldn't call it bad
Bad is a relative concept. Yet, having heard that LP on several occasions (one of my brother-in-laws favourite bands) I have to agree with the more absolute conclusion: it's cack. Luckily, my brother-in-law now lives in Brisbane so my chances of hearing it are significantly reduced.
:rofl:
 

Jim-W

New member
Jul 29, 2013
2
0
0
Charlie Jefferson said:
Beer, food, vinyl. Sunday night/Monday morning:

Arrival - Abba

Bob Dylan debut

(found an original UK stereo in a charity shop for £1. Two cleans later, it's still got a bit of static but what a brutal record. A young man, twenty years old I think, fixated on the idea of death. Compelling listening. This is great, but it's actually before he even got good, by his standards. I know these songs well but it's the first vinyl version I've owned).

Voice of the Heart - Carpenters

a posthumous release. That voice, like Bobs Dylan and Mould, truly knew of what it sang about.

Spirit of Eden - Talk Talk

Everyone's favourite hi-fi listen these days. But I was there on the day of release at Select-a-disc or was it Andy's in Northampton back in those post-Smiths days, oh yes I was!!! I must have read a favourable review (Q mag probably) although I had a copy of previous album, The Colour of Spring, which I quite liked. I took Spirit Of Eden home and me and my flat mate sat there slightly non plussed. Many listens later, we were hooked.

Gets Schooled - John Grant

Harry Nilsson's Greatest Music

The Ink Spots In Hi-Fi

Future Boy - Cicero

Check Your Head - Beastie Boys

Gotta Let This Hen Out - Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians
Hi Charlie

I've got a mono 1st Bob which I like and I agree with you in as much as it is brutal; I just find that record a tad histrionic in places as if he's trying too hard. Not that I care that much because it's still a great listen and, damn it, it was his first studio effort. Songs are all good though.

As for 'Spirit Of Eden' it's just one of those great records that I never get tired of listening to as is the follow up, 'Laughingstock.' which sometimes I think is an even better record.
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Jim-W said:
Matthew Sweet-'Girlfriend.'

Matthew Sweet-'Altered Beast.'

Matthew Sweet-'100% Fun.'

Matthew Sweet-'Clear Blue Sky.' signed by Matthew Sweet! :)

Brought these down from the loft to play today. The first three plug into Big Star, The Beatles and The Byrds and are wonderful records.

'Clear Blue Sky' is less striking but with a few good songs.

Recommended to fans of jangling guitars and winsome, heartbroken voices. Beautiful records.
Hi Jim,

I've got all those lovely, jangly albums too, on CD. I'll give them another spin sometime, now that you've reminded me I have them.

I also liked his bass playing on Lloyd Cole's Don't Get Weird On Me Babe LP. Robert Quine's silken lines, Sweet's medodic bass and Cole's post-pop star

langour make for a blessed and blissed out listen.
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
Charlie Jefferson said:
Bad is a relative concept. Yet, having heard that LP on several occasions (one of my brother-in-laws favourite bands) I have to agree with the more absolute conclusion: it's cack. Luckily, my brother-in-law now lives in Brisbane so my chances of hearing it are significantly reduced.
Back in my music buying days, I had a meeting with a guy from Virgin. He turned up, and I went through the customery greetings; "How's your week been?" I said, "EDITED" he said, "The bosses made us all watch Genesis rehearse for the new tour".

I think we all know which period of Genesis this was. :grin:
 

Jim-W

New member
Jul 29, 2013
2
0
0
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Matthew Sweet-'Girlfriend.'

Matthew Sweet-'Altered Beast.'

Matthew Sweet-'100% Fun.'

Matthew Sweet-'Clear Blue Sky.' signed by Matthew Sweet! :)

Brought these down from the loft to play today. The first three plug into Big Star, The Beatles and The Byrds and are wonderful records.

'Clear Blue Sky' is less striking but with a few good songs.

Recommended to fans of jangling guitars and winsome, heartbroken voices. Beautiful records.
Hi Jim,

I've got all those lovely, jangly albums too, on CD. I'll give them another spin sometime, now that you've reminded me I have them.

I also liked his bass playing on Lloyd Cole's Don't Get Weird On Me Babe LP. Robert Quine's silken lines, Sweet's medodic bass and Cole's post-pop star

langour make for a blessed and blissed out listen.
'Don't Get Weird On Me Babe' is one of my favourite records of all time. Haven't played it in a while. I'll rectify that today. In fact I must play all of his stuff soon. I really rate Lloyd Cole.

Cheers, Charlie.
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Beer, food, vinyl. Sunday night/Monday morning:

Arrival - Abba

Bob Dylan debut

(found an original UK stereo in a charity shop for £1. Two cleans later, it's still got a bit of static but what a brutal record. A young man, twenty years old I think, fixated on the idea of death. Compelling listening. This is great, but it's actually before he even got good, by his standards. I know these songs well but it's the first vinyl version I've owned).

Voice of the Heart - Carpenters

a posthumous release. That voice, like Bobs Dylan and Mould, truly knew of what it sang about.

Spirit of Eden - Talk Talk

Everyone's favourite hi-fi listen these days. But I was there on the day of release at Select-a-disc or was it Andy's in Northampton back in those post-Smiths days, oh yes I was!!! I must have read a favourable review (Q mag probably) although I had a copy of previous album, The Colour of Spring, which I quite liked. I took Spirit Of Eden home and me and my flat mate sat there slightly non plussed. Many listens later, we were hooked.

Gets Schooled - John Grant

Harry Nilsson's Greatest Music

The Ink Spots In Hi-Fi

Future Boy - Cicero

Check Your Head - Beastie Boys

Gotta Let This Hen Out - Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians
Hi Charlie

I've got a mono 1st Bob which I like and I agree with you in as much as it is brutal; I just find that record a tad histrionic in places as if he's trying too hard. Not that I care that much because it's still a great listen and, damn it, it was his first studio effort. Songs are all good though.

As for 'Spirit Of Eden' it's just one of those great records that I never get tired of listening to as is the follow up, 'Laughingstock.' which sometimes I think is an even better record.
Hi Jim,

Histrionic is exactly the word for Bob's debut. Yet, as you say, still highly charged and affecting. I can only view it through the lens of what came afterwards. I enjoy reading about the contemporaneous apathy towards it.

Yes, Laughing Stock is a great record. As is Mark Hollis' sole solo album. I wonder if they'll ever be anything else.
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
He's made some wonderful albums, hasn't he. I liked the early ones but prefer the "solo" debut and those thereafter. Pay For It on Don't Get Weird is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

BBB,

any thoughts on A Minor Forest?
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
Charlie Jefferson said:
BBB,

any thoughts on A Minor Forest?
Very briefly, as I'm going out in a minurte. I liked it, but didn't blow me away on first listen, my wife liked it too, maybe a little more than me.
 

Jim-W

New member
Jul 29, 2013
2
0
0
Charlie Jefferson said:
He's made some wonderful albums, hasn't he. I liked the early ones but prefer the "solo" debut and those thereafter. Pay For It on Don't Get Weird is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

BBB,

any thoughts on A Minor Forest?
I'm a big fan of 'Mainstream' and 'Love story' too. 'Butterfly' on 'Dont Get Weird' does strange things to me. :)
 

Charlie Jefferson

Well-known member
Sep 2, 2007
229
0
18,790
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
He's made some wonderful albums, hasn't he. I liked the early ones but prefer the "solo" debut and those thereafter. Pay For It on Don't Get Weird is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

BBB,

any thoughts on A Minor Forest?
I'm a big fan of 'Mainstream' and 'Love story' too. 'Butterfly' on 'Dont Get Weird' does strange things to me. :)
Mainstream is my favourite of the early-ish ones too. Love Story has some lovely songs. It's Lloyd Cole day then. I'll play some later, if possible. I have another brother-in-law coming round this afternoon for a vinyl session. He's partial to electro-pop played at ear-shreddong volume and some other things, so LC might not get a look in until later.

Have a good day.
 

jimbofisher

Well-known member
Aug 17, 2007
74
35
18,570
Having been on call Saturday and Sunday so not getting a chance to spin some vinyl making up for it today.

The Woodentops - Giant

Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls

Lissie - Back To Forever

Orange Juice - Rip It Up

The Clash - Give 'em Enough Rope

The Jam - Sound Effects

The Jam - The Gift
 

DIB

Well-known member
May 21, 2009
163
33
18,620
Ravey Gravey Davy said:
Status Quo- from the makers of -picked up in pretty good condition yesterday from Rock Bottom records Whitstable for a tenner.

Just on Gerdundula (ref DIB)
Good man, you can't beat a bit of early Quo


meanwhile..



.. probably the most played LP in my collection, still going strong after 40+ years. Looking at the state of my copy it has no right to sound as good as it does.

.
 

Freddy58

Well-known member
Jan 24, 2014
25
1
10,545
DIB said:
meanwhile..



.. probably the most played LP in my collection, still going strong after 40+ years. Looking at the state of my copy it has no right to sound as good as it does.

.
What a brilliant album that is :)
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
Charlie Jefferson said:
BBB,

any thoughts on A Minor Forest?
I have a question Charlie. On side 3, at the end of one of the tracks/beginning oif the next, there's a sound a bit lke a cd skipping/record with too much fluff on the needle, I guess it's supposed to be there, but I just wanted it confirmed.
 

jimbofisher

Well-known member
Aug 17, 2007
74
35
18,570
The afternoon and evening session aided by a few beers:

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Ian McCulloch - Candleland

Finley Quaye - Maverick A Strike

The War On Drugs - Lost In The Dream

Moon Duo - Circles

Talk Talk

- The Colour of Spring

- Spirit of Eden

- Laughing Stock
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS