What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 226 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Having a Vinyl Day

So Far.

Bob Dylan - Street Legal

Bob Dylan - Greatest Hits

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Eric Clapton - Ocen Boulevard

Bodyguard OST

What next ????

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman,

What a fantastic album song 4 side 1 gets me every time Behind the wall.

I shall end the night with The very best of John Denver.

smiley-embarassed.gif

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Tonight:

Man-'Rhinos, Winos And Lunatics.'

'Charlie Parker Big Band.'

'Dylan Thomas Reads Dylan Thomas.'

Tír na nÓg- 'Tír na nÓg'

Marvin Gaye-'Trouble Man.'

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Tonight:

Tír na nÓg- 'Tír na nÓg'

A great playlist Jim. I love three of those LPs ( don't know the Welsh/Scandanavian sounding one or Dylan T reading his own work). What's the former?

I had a friend over for a beer/curry/vinyl/football session and we played these, from what I can remember:

Early Recordings - Link Wray (a cracking mono repress)

Best Of Booker T & The MGs

Pale Green Ghosts - John Grant

Sorry I Made You Cry - The Czars

Giant Steps - John Coltrane

The Driver - Buddy Rich

Aja - Steely Dan

And then skip loads of maudlin Ben Folds & Neil Hannon songs.

Arc of the evening: upbeat, downswing, up again and then too many beers to make sense/care.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Tonight:

Tír na nÓg- 'Tír na nÓg'

A great playlist Jim. I love three of those LPs ( don't know the Welsh/Scandanavian sounding one or Dylan T reading his own work). What's the former?

I had a friend over for a beer/curry/vinyl/football session and we played these, from what I can remember:

The Driver - Buddy Rich

Aja - Steely Dan

Arc of the evening: upbeat, downswing, up again and then too many beers to make sense/care.

That's a rather nice playlist too, Charlie!

Tír na nÓg is an Irish folk band or were an Irish folk band around1971-174 period, very popular live and they made some low-key,Nick Drakey, Donovany sounding records but with rather more humour than either of those two artists. This is their first record which is such a period piece that it's the early 70's and I'm sitting around in some University hall of residence every time I play it; the only other record that really does this is 'Chameleon' by The Famous Jug Band which is, incidentally, a very lovely lp.All of their records are worth hearing but they aren't exactly essential, just pleasant time pieces with good tunes, guitars and decent voices. This reply gives me a chance to announce that I've been listening to:

Ray Charles-'Yes Indeed.'

Ray Charles-'Genius+soul=Jazz.'

Strawbs-'Strawbs.'

The Flock-1st album.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Tonight:

Tír na nÓg- 'Tír na nÓg'

The Driver - Buddy Rich

Aja - Steely Dan

Tír na nÓg is an Irish folk band or were an Irish folk band around1971-174 period, very popular live and they made some low-key,Nick Drakey, Donovany sounding records but with rather more humour than either of those two artists. This is their first record which is such a period piece that it's the early 70's and I'm sitting around in some University hall of residence every time I play it; the only other record that really does this is 'Chameleon' by The Famous Jug Band which is, incidentally, a very lovely lp.All of their records are worth hearing but they aren't exactly essential, just pleasant time pieces with good tunes, guitars and decent voices. This reply gives me a chance to announce that I've been listening to:

Strawbs-'Strawbs.'

The Flock-1st album.

Thanks for the lowdown Jim. I love those records that take us to that specific point and mindset on our lives. All music is capable of transportation to some place or other but only certain special songs/albums can conjure up such specific reveries/demons/reflections.

The first Ray Charles LP you listed is nestling in the racks of my local vinyl shop. A £20 re-issue. My only reason for not purchasing is price. I spent £30 on used records yesterday and came away with some gems. The price of new vinyl is steep. Market driven forces etc . . . blah, blah, blah.

Currently playing:

football in the garden with my two young sons.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Tonight:

Tír na nÓg- 'Tír na nÓg'

The Driver - Buddy Rich

Aja - Steely Dan

Strawbs-'Strawbs.'

The Flock-1st album.

Thanks for the lowdown Jim. I love those records that take us to that specific point and mindset on our lives. All music is capable of transportation to some place or other but only certain special songs/albums can conjure up such specific reveries/demons/reflections.

The first Ray Charles LP you listed is nestling in the racks of my local vinyl shop. A £20 re-issue. My only reason for not purchasing is price. I spent £30 on used records yesterday and came away with some gems. The price of new vinyl is steep. Market driven forces etc . . . blah, blah, blah.

Currently playing:

football in the garden with my two young sons.

I only buy used records, Charlie and have done for a while now, barring the occasional must-have lp. The price of new records being ridiculous is one reason, but I think I just prefer older stuff. I like a lot of new music but I don't feel the need to have it on record.

'Yes Indeed' which is a reissue, Atlantic Special label, cost me £6 yesterday. It's not mint but it plays well enough. It's actually a really good Ray Charles lp; his voice is terrific throughout. Great band too.

'Currently playing:

football in the garden with my two young sons.'

Lovely.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Took Solex off, as I've been lstening to it a lot recently, and put on the new Lykke Li album which arrived yesterday.

lykke-li-Ill-never-learn-290x290.jpg

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
survivor said:
Foxtrot72.jpg

Genesis - `Foxtrot` Like the remaster from a few years ago but you still can`t beat the vinyl experience. Special album.

For my money, Genesis didn't make a bad album :)

Well said Freddy! Was just thinking about the line-up the band had in the early-mid 70`s. A LOT of talent and creativity. Whilst saying that my favourite is `Trick Of The Tail` after Gabriel left but there you go!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:

For my money, they most definitely did. Everything post-Gabriel for a start. :p

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

survivor said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

Hi BBB, have you heard `Trick of the Tail` and `Wind and Wuthering`?

No, but my comment was made with my tongue firmly in my cheek. I've never heard a Genesis album ever, though I did hear a little of the very very early stuff, which sounded quite good, and I do like the odd track.

In response to the "Genesis never made a bad album" remark, I'd counter with the Calling All Stations. :p

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
survivor said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:

Hi BBB, have you heard `Trick of the Tail` and `Wind and Wuthering`?

No, but my comment was made with my tongue firmly in my cheek. I've never heard a Genesis album ever, though I did hear a little of the very very early stuff, which sounded quite good, and I do like the odd track.

In response to the "Genesis never made a bad album" remark, I'd counter with the Calling All Stations. :p

Ha! Okey-dokey (no idea how you actually spell that!) Anyway, isn`t it great listening to music late on a Sunday night and not have to worry about work tomorrow? Good days!

P.S. Change of subject but I saw you at the theatre in 1985 in `Run For Your Wife`! It was good but you can`t beat `Carry On Camping`!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts