What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 217 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid said:
51ExYhO6qCL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Original or the reissue?

My reissiue is in stock now so will pick it up on Saturday when I go for Record Store Day.

Perect sunny bank holiday music!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The Fall - Wonderful And Frightening World

Killdozer - 12 Point Buck

Deicide - Deicide

Nurse With Wound - Spiral Insana

Diamanda Galas and John Paul Jones - This Sporting Life

And a bunch of old acid techno 12"s...

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Last night started off with some Zappa:

Just Another Band From LA

Live at The Roxy/Elsewhere

In New York

Then:

A Stranger In My Own Back Yard - Gilbert O'Sullivan

Words - Glen Campbell

Quarry - Morrissey

Evil Urges - My Morning Jacket

This morning:

Work & Non Work - Broadcast

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Amongst other things. My teenage daughter averted her gaze from Netflix-addiction in the other room to ask who was this David Bowie copyist I was playing. More so on Forever Now, but I can see where she's coming from.

Forever Now is embarrassingly Bowie at times, I can't really hear it on the first album though, but there is a track that musically, sounds quite like The Fall.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Work & Non Work - Broadcast

I'm very jealous that you have that on vinyl, I only have the CD.

Yes, as you know it's a great LP. I wish I also had Ha Ha Sound on vinyl, but alas no.

You're right about Fall-like moments on the PF album. There's a ragbag of styles and sounds. I've played it again since the first proper spin and it's really good.

BBB, have you heard much about the J Spacemen & Kid Millions (is that the right way round on the latter, dunno!) LP? What I read sounds intriguing and it's out tomorrow for RSD.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BBB, have you heard much about the J Spacemen & Kid Millions (is that the right way round on the latter, dunno!) LP? What I read sounds intriguing and it's out tomorrow for RSD.

I knew nothing of it, but I've found a bit of info.

http://pitchfork.com/news/54052-listen-spiritualizeds-j-spaceman-and-oneidas-kid-millions-share-24-minute-misha-from-collab-album/

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

I knew nothing of it, but I've found a bit of info.

http://pitchfork.com/news/54052-listen-spiritualizeds-j-spaceman-and-oneidas-kid-millions-share-24-minute-misha-from-collab-album/

Thanks BBB, I had a listen. Might buy if it's not ridiculosusly expensive like the triple Spacemen 3 12" box. Therein lies my ambivalence towards RSD: many interesting and desirable discs but usually highly priced. Supply/demand. throttle the fan. Yes, I know no one is forcing me to buy anything but . . .

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Been working a lot today (more money for RSD which is a bonus) so only managed this:

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses (re-issue)

Only arrived yesterday, sounds so good (originally had on cassette), even Ian Brown sounds like he can actually sing.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Unfortunately I'm pretty busy tomorrow morning, so I won't be joining the queues for RSD, but I have discovered that there are 2 record shops in Northampton (which is only about 15 miles away), so I'll be checking them out in the near future.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Marvindodgers said:
survivor said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Lost Angeles said:
Sorry but the singer makes you wanna commit suicide :wave:

I'm no Marillion fan of any era, but it does seem Mr Hogarth gets quite a hard time from some former fans of Marillion, and I'm not sure quite why.

Technically, he's a better singer, he doesn't write songs with nursery rhyme lyrics (Lavender), his real name isn't Derek ****, he hasn't changed his name to Fish :doh:, he seems a decent enough bloke, and he has an absolutely stunning looking wife.

Guess I`m one of the lucky Marillion fans who loves `both` bands. When I saw them on the `Marbles` tour at the Astoria in London it was truly one of the best live gigs I have ever seen. I know it is regarded very highly by many Marillion fans. Never seen a band slowly `build` a sound/atmosphere in quite that way. Incredible.

I'm with you. Clutching At Straws is one of my all time favourite albums, but I also like the current (and much longer together) incarnation of Marillion. I saw them live last year on the Sounds That Can't Be Made tour and they are just an incredible band.

Hi Marvin. Missed last years tour unfortunately but love the latest album. A good friend of mine saw them last year and said they just get better and better. His missus was never too fussed when he played Marillion records at home but a few years ago he persuaded her to accompany him to a gig and she became hooked and now never misses a tour!

Anyway, seeing as this is a vinyl thread I shall get back on topic by digging out Fugazi this weekend which I haven`t played on the old TT for quite a while!

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
survivor said:
Marvindodgers said:
survivor said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Lost Angeles said:
Sorry but the singer makes you wanna commit suicide :wave:

I'm no Marillion fan of any era, but it does seem Mr Hogarth gets quite a hard time from some former fans of Marillion, and I'm not sure quite why.

Technically, he's a better singer, he doesn't write songs with nursery rhyme lyrics (Lavender), his real name isn't Derek ****, he hasn't changed his name to Fish :doh:, he seems a decent enough bloke, and he has an absolutely stunning looking wife.

Guess I`m one of the lucky Marillion fans who loves `both` bands. When I saw them on the `Marbles` tour at the Astoria in London it was truly one of the best live gigs I have ever seen. I know it is regarded very highly by many Marillion fans. Never seen a band slowly `build` a sound/atmosphere in quite that way. Incredible.

I'm with you. Clutching At Straws is one of my all time favourite albums, but I also like the current (and much longer together) incarnation of Marillion. I saw them live last year on the Sounds That Can't Be Made tour and they are just an incredible band.

Hi Marvin. Missed last years tour unfortunately but love the latest album. A good friend of mine saw them last year and said they just get better and better. His missus was never too fussed when he played Marillion records at home but a few years ago he persuaded her to accompany him to a gig and she became hooked and now never misses a tour!

Anyway, seeing as this is a vinyl thread I shall get back on topic by digging out Fugazi this weekend which I haven`t played on the old TT for quite a while!

Hi, I love your Jim Steinman avatar by the way. I love that album and seem to have acquired multiple copies over the years for some reason!! Back to Marillion, I've just come back from my local record shop, funnily enough they're called The Record Shop, in Amersham and bought a very nice 12" picture disc of You're Gone from Marbles, which a Record Store Day limited release. Playing as we speak.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Queued early to acquire a few lovely RSD items, which I'll be playing this afternoon. All bought at my new, local shop in the teeming metropolis of Wakefield, Wah Wah Records. He's getting up and running with new and used vinyl. I'm trying my best, with a handful of other devotees, to keep him in business. He's labelling himself as Crash and Jumbo's (both in Leeds) little brother - for those of you who know the area. Hope it works out.

J Spaceman & Kid Millions LP

Gets Schooled - John Grant EP

7 Skies H3 - The Flaming Lips

Fluorescent - Pet Shop Boys 12"

The Hazards Of Love - Anne Briggs EP

The Oil Rigs At Night - The Delines 7"

plus Absolutely Free - Zappa/Mothers LP

My only two disappointments were not getting Songs:Ohia and A Minor Forest both vinyl boxes.

Oh well. Another time, perhaps.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Queued early to acquire a few lovely RSD items, which I'll be playing this afternoon. All bought at my new, local shop in the teeming metropolis of Wakefield, Wah Wah Records. He's getting up and running with new and used vinyl. I'm trying my best, with a handful of other devotees, to keep him in business. He's labelling himself as Crash and Jumbo's (both in Leeds) little brother - for those of you who know the area. Hope it works out.

My only two disappointments were not getting Songs:Ohia and A Minor Forest both vinyl boxes.

I see that you managed to get the John Grant release. I tried and failed this morning. Either my local shop didn't stock it or one of the 30 or so people in front of me in the queue beat me to it. Hope you like it.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:

I see that you managed to get the John Grant release. I tried and failed this morning. Either my local shop didn't stock it or one of the 30 or so people in front of me in the queue beat me to it. Hope you like it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts