What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 215 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Freddy58 said:
Lost Angeles said:
81NCux6Ss1L._SL1200_.jpg

Still on the Ortofon

I love Marillion (Fish era) :)

And me, I've not heard anything they've done since he left that I like.

I agree, although this from 'Seasons End' aint too bad ;)

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
DIB said:
ifor said:
Homo Erraticus - Ian Anderson

Any good?

Disappointing! Nowhere near as good as TAAB2. It arrived yesterday so I've only listened two and a half times so far. Tomorrow the download code that came with it will be activated so I'll have the chance to listen in the car too. I need to get to know it well before 4th May when he plays in Oxford.

Teaser & The Firecat - Cat Stevens

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Rough Mix - Pete Townshend/Ronnie Lane

I love this LP Charlie. It gets a regular airing in my house. "TillTthe Rivers All Run Dry" a particular favourite track of mine.

Great cover too, if you're into that sort of thing (I am!)

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
The more"what are you listening to" posts I see from you Charlie, I see that we share very similar tastes. I'm a big fan of John Grant's solo albums (Pale Green Ghosts was my album of 2013) and I've been back through his back catalogue to discover The Czars. I cannot thank you enough for pointing me in the direction of My Morning Jacket, what an amazing band! I can't believe they are not massive.

To keep the thread on track, I'm currently listening to -

Genesis - Foxtrot

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Talking of great covers..

51n8o0%2Bf%2BhL.jpg

..Considering how many times my copy has been played over the last 40+ years, it is in remarkably good shape (unlike yours truly).

A classic.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
DIB said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Rough Mix - Pete Townshend/Ronnie Lane

I love this LP Charlie. It gets a regular airing in my house. "TillTthe Rivers All Run Dry" a particular favourite track of mine.

Great cover too, if you're into that sort of thing (I am!)

Agreed, it's a fine album. I played it last night for the first time in a long time and it sounded so good.

A really good blend of their styles. I was/am a big fan of The Who, yet this LP reminds me that as I get older it's Pete's voice I prefer (to Mr. Daltrey's).

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Sonny Sharrock - Black Woman

Amon Duul II - Yeti

No Means No - Sex Mad

Big Black - Atomizer

Nurse With Wound - Creakiness

Coil - Love's Secret Domain

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:
Talking of great covers..

51n8o0%2Bf%2BhL.jpg

..Considering how many times my copy has been played over the last 40+ years, it is in remarkably good shape (unlike yours truly).

A classic.

I checked out a few tracks. I really, REALLY liked 'I Had A Dream' :)

Indeed, a beautiful song. Their singer and classical guitarist Howard Werth was lined up as a potential replacement for Jim Morrison, or so legend has it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Lost Angeles said:
Sorry but the singer makes you wanna commit suicide :wave:

I'm no Marillion fan of any era, but it does seem Mr Hogarth gets quite a hard time from some former fans of Marillion, and I'm not sure quite why.

Technically, he's a better singer, he doesn't write songs with nursery rhyme lyrics (Lavender), his real name isn't Derek ****, he hasn't changed his name to Fish :doh:, he seems a decent enough bloke, and he has an absolutely stunning looking wife.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Lost Angeles said:

I'm no Marillion fan of any era, but it does seem Mr Hogarth gets quite a hard time from some former fans of Marillion, and I'm not sure quite why.

Technically, he's a better singer, he doesn't write songs with nursery rhyme lyrics (Lavender), his real name isn't Derek ****, he hasn't changed his name to Fish :doh:, he seems a decent enough bloke, and he has an absolutely stunning looking wife.

Guess I`m one of the lucky Marillion fans who loves `both` bands. When I saw them on the `Marbles` tour at the Astoria in London it was truly one of the best live gigs I have ever seen. I know it is regarded very highly by many Marillion fans. Never seen a band slowly `build` a sound/atmosphere in quite that way. Incredible.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm no Marillion fan of any era,

Which just goes to show, no-ones perfect :)

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
and I'm not sure quite why.

Maybe the songs are considered to be better? I find the Hogarth era a bit...bland.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Technically, he's a better singer

Don't quite get how one can measure technical ability when it comes to something as emotive as a voice?

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
he doesn't write songs with nursery rhyme lyrics (Lavender)

Nursery rhyme lyrics = bad tune?

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
and he has an absolutely stunning looking wife.

You're very shallow :grin:

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
It's another on my list of vinyl wants.

And don't forget about Hovercraft "Akathsia". :p

Is it as good as Experiment Below, BBB?

Tonight's fare:

The Driver - Buddy Rich

Fresh Fish Special - Robert Gordon/Link Wray

Laughing Stock - Talk Talk

When - Vincent Gallo*

* streamed. Not sure a vinyl version exists. Hope so though. It's a classic piece of outsider art goes mainstream-ish.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
survivor said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Lost Angeles said:

Guess I`m one of the lucky Marillion fans who loves `both` bands. When I saw them on the `Marbles` tour at the Astoria in London it was truly one of the best live gigs I have ever seen. I know it is regarded very highly by many Marillion fans. Never seen a band slowly `build` a sound/atmosphere in quite that way. Incredible.

I'm with you. Clutching At Straws is one of my all time favourite albums, but I also like the current (and much longer together) incarnation of Marillion. I saw them live last year on the Sounds That Can't Be Made tour and they are just an incredible band.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts