What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 214 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie

Did you ever get around to listening to Cat Power "Moon Pix"? I genuinely think you'll love it.

I'll Spotify it right now and let you know what I think.

Forgot about that one.

It's a late night , glass of red wine in hand, empty bottle beside you album.

I am listening to it now though, :)

Halfway through and it's really good. An alluring seductive sleaze to her voice and very different sound to other albums I've got or heard by her.

Yes, I know my universe is MMJ-shaped/centric but it too reminds me of early MMJ albums. Well specifically two LPs of demos, off-cuts they released awhile ago. They are pre-debut LP songs. Early Learning Vol.1&2. Jim James and Cat Power should do a collaboration. Their voices and aesthetic could create magic.

I like the second side most, absolutely awesome.

I think it's like a mix of MMJ and Dylan. :p

I almost beleived you for a moment.

Fave tracK: Colors And The Kids

She probably likes Dylan, more than I do anyway. :)

I love it all, but maybe Back Of Your Head and Colors And The Kids fractionally surpass the rest of the album.

Her pre-Moon Pix stuff is supposed to be good, but I've never wanted to listen to anything but this album, because I thought it could never come close.

It's another on my list of vinyl wants.

I'll see the Jumbo and/or Crash guys tomorrow and get a copy, if available.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:

On April 10, 2007, "Moon Pix" is coming back in print on vinyl with a new 180 gram repress from RTI.

This is the one I have.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

On April 10, 2007, "Moon Pix" is coming back in print on vinyl with a new 180 gram repress from RTI.

This is the one I have.

My current want list is now up to twenty LPs or so. Coltrane, Sanders, Cat Power, Rufus W and versions of Bob's debut. Oh, and it's RSD next Saturday.

I'm not a seller of albums but I'm tempted to offload my three Pet Shop Boys Vinyl Factory editions to generate a superhaul of vinyl. and perhaps a turntable upgrade.Bonkers and against my better nature but that little devil of temptation is hard to resist sometimes.

Listening to:

B-Brew - Miles Davis

Song X - Metheny/Coleman

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
My current want list is now up to twenty LPs or so. Coltrane, Sanders, Cat Power, Rufus W and versions of Bob's debut. Oh, and it's RSD next Saturday.

I'm not a seller of albums but I'm tempted to offload my three Pet Shop Boys Vinyl Factory editions to generate a superhaul of vinyl. and perhaps a turntable upgrade.Bonkers and against my better nature but that little devil of temptation is hard to resist sometimes.

I don't know those PSB records, but from what you're saying, I'm guessing they're valuable.

I've sold records in the past when I was a little short of money, and regretted it, so the idea of selling records just to buy more records isn't a good one for me. But, saying that, if the PSB records don't mean that much to you, and they really could help to buy records that you'd rather have, then the decision is easy.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
1332792842_41bnszvvxl._ss500_.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

I don't know those PSB records, but from what you're saying, I'm guessing they're valuable.

I've sold records in the past when I was a little short of money, and regretted it, so the idea of selling records just to buy more records isn't a good one for me. But, saying that, if the PSB records don't mean that much to you, and they really could help to buy records that you'd rather have, then the decision is easy.

Well, I've been deliberating selling the PSB LPs for a while simply to raise funds. They could fetch considerable sums, but I probably won't actually do it. It is a ridiculous notion. I'd regret it. Aaaaahhhh!!!!!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Marvin Gaye-'Here, My Dear.'

Smokey Robinson-'Pure Smokey.'

John Abercrombie-'Night.'

The Lemon Pipers-'Green Tambourine.'

David Blue-'Nice Baby And The Angel.'

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:

Blimey, that takes me back! I assume it's a single?

Hello, Freddy. No it's an lp in glorious mono. It's got probably the greatest psychedelic performance ever recorded in 'Through With You.' 9 minutes of jangling bliss. It's on youtube.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:

Hello, Freddy. No it's an lp in glorious mono. It's got probably the greatest psychedelic performance ever recorded in 'Through With You.' 9 minutes of jangling bliss. It's on youtube.

Hiya Jim.

I used to have the single, always loved that tune. Magical time for music imo. I'll have to check out the album ;)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:

Hiya Jim.

I used to have the single, always loved that tune. Magical time for music imo. I'll have to check out the album ;)

Yes, listen to the album. It's just lovely. Magcal, as you say. If you like the single then the lp will be right up your street.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:

Hiya Jim.

Yes, listen to the album. It's just lovely. Magcal, as you say. If you like the single then the lp will be right up your street.

Just had a listen to 'Through With You', great tune! It was a bit like the Byrds meets It's A Beautiful Day meets Quicksilver, in it's 'vibe'. Just so you know, the self-titled 'It's A Beautiful Day' is right up there, in my all-time favourite albums :)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:

Hiya Jim.

Just had a listen to 'Through With You', great tune! It was a bit like the Byrds meets It's A Beautiful Day meets Quicksilver, in it's 'vibe'. Just so you know, the self-titled 'It's A Beautiful Day' is right up there, in my all-time favourite albums :)

Yes, it's definitely a distant cousin of 'Eight Miles High' and Quicksilver. Not sure about 'It's A Beautiful Day' although I like that lp too. Glad you liked it.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:

Hiya Jim.

Yes, it's definitely a distant cousin of 'Eight Miles High' and Quicksilver. Not sure about 'It's A Beautiful Day' although I like that lp too. Glad you liked it.

Yeah, I suppose 'It's A Beautiful Day' was a bit (lot) 'darker', but somehow I got the 'vibe', but that's just me :)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:

I went to see Walter Trout a couple of years ago at a small venue. Great night. He's very capable, but more than that, he's very entertaining. I hear he's not so well these days. How's the album?

The album's fine, nothing special. You only need to buy one Walter Trout album really, it doesn't matter which
smiley-laughing.gif

However this album means more than most as I bought it post gig at the Holmfirth Blues Fest last year, and Walter signed it for me. We were staying in the same hotel next door to the Holmfirth Picturedome, so post gig we had a great time with the band.

No he's not well at all, kidney/liver problems I believe. I couldn't believe his appearance when he walked out onto the stage. However his self-deprecating humour throughout the night was a great lift for everyone mind. You might not like his style of blues rock but the guy is a top bloke, sticking to his roots and making an honest living the only way he knows. I wouldn't swap a WT gig in front of 100 people for any Eric Clapton gig in any enormo-drome stadium.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Selections from:

Berwald Symphonies & Concertos - Bjorlin/RPO

Zemlinsky: The Birthday of the Infanta - Albrecht/Berlin PO

Donestan - Robert Wyatt

Shostakovich String Quartet no.4 - Saulescokvartetten

Song Cycles - Shostakovich : Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra/Maxim Shostakovich

I've had guests this afternoon. They selected things from my walls of records. I tried to lighten things, relatively speaking, with Mr.Wyatt. Berwald and Zemlinsky are demanding and occasionally rewarding listening, just in case their magnum opus' don't ring any bells. My attempt to stick Link Wray on was sabotaged by the Song Cycles of Dmitri.

Lovely people our friends, but I'm quite glad they've, er gone.

Time to rock:

Dondante - MMJ

This band are truly taking guitar rock somewhere magnificent. From a distance it's hewn from the same glacier as Neil Young (no bad thing in itself) but up close is something very distinctively different. Carl Broemel and Jim James' guitar interplay whacks the wrought tensions and releases of much the orchestral stuff I had on earlier into a cocked trilby.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts