What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
51kA5hFZYaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Eagles Hotel California.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
51InDZWor%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not many groups have made a better first album than this, certainly from the groups I like.
I can think of maybe two.
I know plenty of people bash Freebird but it’s a great track for a first album and it gets far too much airplay these day but you were lucky to hear it on the radio in the 70s.
Simple Man and Tuesday’s Gone (my fave) are also great tracks.

No points for guessing one of the two better.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Sorry I Made You Cry - The Czars

Spaces - Larry Coryell

Arthur - The Kinks

Running out of time this evening, just getting into the groove with a selection of belated RSD purchases.

The Kinks LPs are the best of the bunch so far, at least in terms of vinyl & pressing quality, sleeve and inserts. All immaculate.

The Czars album is only my second by them, and first on vinyl. Great collection of covers & b-sides. Gift of the golden voice award goes once more to John Grant. Must dig out the more recent, Queen Of Denmark solo LP.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Took a trip to US last week, and managed to ghet some Analogue Productions vinyl delivered to my hotel - started listening to them tonight...all good so far:

Soundtrack from "Wretches & Jabberers" (J Ralph) loads of great names including Steven Stills, Martin Carthy, Devendra BAnhart, Scarlett Johansson (ok, personal preference here), Norah Jones...produced with help from Mckintosh valvey stuff.

Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman

The Hot Spot (45rpm soundtrack)

Dvorak (HiQ new mastering) od New World Symphony

The Decemberists (The Hazards of Love)

I get my Benz Glider fitted on Tuesday, so trying to cram in some listening before the switch.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Took a trip to US last week, and managed to ghet some Analogue Productions vinyl delivered to my hotel - started listening to them tonight...all good so far:

Soundtrack from "Wretches & Jabberers" (J Ralph) loads of great names including Steven Stills, Martin Carthy, Devendra BAnhart, Scarlett Johansson (ok, personal preference here), Norah Jones...produced with help from Mckintosh valvey stuff.

Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman

The Hot Spot (45rpm soundtrack)

Dvorak (HiQ new mastering) od New World Symphony

The Decemberists (The Hazards of Love)

I get my Benz Glider fitted on Tuesday, so trying to cram in some listening before the switch.

Sounds like you've returned from the States with a cool vinyl stash, DC.

How's The Decemberists sounding on vinyl?

Let us know how the Benz Glider sounds too?

Currently listening to:

Something Else - The Kinks

Last Sessions - Mississippi John Hurt

Live '72 - The Grateful Dead

Sorry I Made You Cry - The Czars

Bogester

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
"Surfer Rosa" by Pixies. Not only their best album (IMO) but it sounds infinitely better on vinyl than on CD (well my original '88 pressing does, ayway).

"Hex Enduction Hour" by The Fall. Arguably their best, as well. This 180 g, double-vinyl copy was bought from Amoeba Records in San Francisco while I was on honeymoon back in 2005, and great it sounds.

"Neu!" by Neu!. A minimalist classic.

"Computer World" by Kraftwerk. I picked up this original 1981 pressing at a record fair a few weeks ago and it sounds great.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Stimmung - Stockhausen

70 minutes stretched on to two sides of vinyl. Six voices pitching and harmonising around one note, plus some background electronic intrusion and sporadic interjection of so called "magic words". Great sleeve notes recount the story of one 1968 Paris performance that was curtailed by activist hecklers who wanted to join in, and deemed the piece too authoritarian and elitist, when they weren't allowed to do so. Those were the days.

Rise and Fall Of The City Of Mahogonny - Brecht/Weill/Lenya/Litz/Hamburg Radio Orchestra.

Currently working on some Brecht and Weill with my Y11 students so giving this and The Threepenny Opera a few listens. Who said they prefer the Doors' version of The Alabama Song?

Last Sessions - Mississippi John Hurt.

One of my favourite RSD 2012 purchases.

A

Anonymous

Listened to 1984 by Van Halen yesterday which sounds great on vinyl. Never bothered getting it on CD, a mistake I've made with quite a few albums over the year's.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The-Stairs-Mexican-R-n-B-334945.jpg

A much sought after classic, a cross between The Beatles, The Stones, and The Stooges, with some added psychedelia. Class.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Here is one I draged out this afternoon, bought in 1981/2? I have never played it! Not for the faint hearted or late night relaxing listen . . . !

600carminaBuranarw.jpg

CJSF

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Just got my vinyl copy of the new George Harrison "Early Takes 1"

All demos or early takes from the cupboards of the Harrison household, mastered at Abbey Road.

I highly recommend this album ! Fabulous sound quality, and great songs, refound when Martin Scorcese did his Harrison biog. I prefer some to the final versions released at the time.

(no download voucher).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts