What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 89 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
A Nina Simone Best Of. A great pressing on Philips label. (1972).

A peace offering to my long-suffering wife.

Less olive branch and more collision next though:

Little Red Record - Matching Mole

Or

Copper Blue - Sugar

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
After nearly 7 weeks I've finally played some vinyl

51Tg15QMqQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41ZL9C7Zu3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

4103MBFJPWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
31HY2QXDJPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And did they sound good.
Tomorrow I'm going to spend a good 2 hours in what is probably the best 70s vinyl shop in Britain and it's not at Rugeley,
And he plays some great music.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:

And did they sound good.
Tomorrow I'm going to spend a good 2 hours in what is probably the best 70s vinyl shop in Britain and it's not at Rugeley,

Ah, that means you are coming nowhere near where I live in sunny Wakefield. We have the grand total of zero vinyl shops.

(though there is one pretty good one a few miles up the road in Leeds. That's Jumbo. Crash too sells a bit, if you're ever in the heartlands of West Yorkshire).

Glad you're back on the vinyl trail, both playing and buying.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:

And did they sound good.

Well now Lost Angeles . . . I approve of Jennifer Warnes, 'FBR' has long been one of my standard test records, I remember at the Heathrow show, I was given the heads up by a friend, on a dem record being used in one of the other rooms. I think it was 1986 . . . perhaps 87? anyway, it was JW and 'Famous Blue Raincoat' by the end of that show, FBR was coming from many of the dem rooms, I think Moth Marketing sold out of his stock in a couple of days.

I thought I'd try your other choices, Jethro Tull . . . take it or leave it? However, Toto and Rush, old recording, not my type of music . . . but, musicality and hifi'ability were excellent. :O Hifi'ability, my word for everything in its place in the sound stage at the right sound level, no obvious compression. As I say, not something I would rush out and buy, however, if I was presented with them in a charity shop or boot jumble, I'd do a couple of quid each.

Own up, I tracked them down on Spotify . . . ? 8) you have given the post 'the vinyl tag':)

CJSF

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Clear Spot - Captain Beefheart

Write About Love - Belle & Sebastian

Autumn Stone - The Small Faces

Copper Blue - Sugar, which led to

New Day Rising - Husker Du

Everyone was out for the afternoon, it's been great. Extremely loud. Highly enjoyable. Time for one more song before the gang return. So it's got to be,

Holdin' On To Black Metal - My Morning Jacket.

No The Shins. How strange.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I had a good few hours in my vinyl shop, didn’t pick up much but certainly heard some good tracks being played from Purple, Journey etc through to this one, Far Far Away. I certainly had to get the old brain cells working to remember who did it as it’s yonkers ago since I last heard it. Checked on WWW when I got home to prove the memory is still working.
They never were one of favourite bands and I have nothing of theirs and have no wish to acquire any but I do like that track.
And I’m Far Far away with my head in the clouds.
Anyway I did buy this, maybe not my usual taste but there are a few tracks on here I really like, sign of getting old perhaps.

512498l21RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
1) Richard Strauss' Sinfonia Domestica - Los Angeles Philharmonic/Zubin Mehta

2) Uncle Meat - Zappa/Mothers

3) Candleland - Ian McCulloch

4) The Guitar & Other Machines - The Durutti Column

A night of modern classics then.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:

So how old are you if you think that Sinfonia Domestica is a " modern classic" ? !

And I must say that you seem to be giving your " Uncle Meat" a good work out recently. I really must get around to listening to my cd version sometime .

Nick

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

So how old are you if you think that Sinfonia Domestica is a " modern classic" ? !

And I must say that you seem to be giving your " Uncle Meat" a good work out recently. I really must get around to listening to my cd version sometime .

Nick

It's all relative, Nick. I mean Richard Strauss died a mere four years before Elvis first walked into Sun Studios. But yes, I am getting on a bit.

And yes, Uncle Meat is getting a lot of play. The more I listen, the more exhilarating it gets. Less an artefact from the so called sixties "counter culture" ( a term Zappa would presumably have reviled) and more a scintillating blast of "modern music". Lots of noise, lots of subtlety.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
am:

Laughing Stock - Talk Talk

At War With The Mystics - The Flaming Lips

Port Of Morrow - The Shins

Theives Like Us - New Order 12inch

pm:

The new pressing of Spirit of Eden - Talk Talk

Remastered Viva Hate - Morrissey

Release - Pet Shop Boys

Mozart Piano Concertos K.459&K.488 - Brendel/Academy of St.Martin-in-the-Fields

Waterloo:peterloo - The Critics Group

Black Narcissus - Joe Henderson

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto no.3 - Ashkenazy/Previn/LSO

Goo - Sonic Youth

Evening:

Just revving up for some high tension line ala The Fall & Captain Beefheart.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up an ebay copy of the soundtrack to "The Hot Spot" - a Dennis Hopper film from 1990, but more importantly, a superb recording featuring Miles Davis, Taj Mahal, John Lee Hooker...

Analogue Productions have produced a 45rpm version of this original, which I'm now really tempted to get.

The music - swampy blues - is extremely well recorded (though my ebay copy is a bit crackly).

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
51HlhyGE0yL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Decided to buy something new, well a 2011 release but it's brand new unplayed before today.
A nice heavy vinyl, clean and quiet but why put the vinyl in a cardboard cover, why don't they have a gatefold cover and the vinyl in a plastic inner. I suupose because it's a farthing more cost per album and record companies are too tight to spend this.
Anyway a nice selection of songs, not sure if it makes it a good album though.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
DandyCobalt said:
shropshire lad said:
Some old fashioned Southern Boogie with The Outlaws - Bring It Back Alive .

Ah, I must dig out my Black Oak Arkansas album !!!

Gawd , I haven't heard any of their stuff since 1978 , or there abouts . How is Jim Dandy doing these days ?

Doin' just fine, I do believe! I'm surprised hollywood hasn't done a superhero flick about him yet... "Jim Dandy to the Rescue" !!

I have a signed drawing from Rickie Reynolds too - pride of place :)

Inspirations to us awl.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts