What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Bretty If I was to pick three albums from my selection, that I don't think have been mentioned elsewhere, they would be: Alan Parsons Project.........Eye in the sky 10cc.........................Deceptive bends Wynton Marsalis..............The Haydn trumpet concerto I enjoy keeping an eye from the side lines and seeing what "jems" turn up. A vinyl thread was a great idea, and it's under the stewardship of a knowledgable chairman. I may interject from time to time, if that's ok. Keep flying the flag. :)
I don't have any of the three albums you mentioned. I'll have to rectify that!
smiley-smile.gif

Chip in whenever you fancy, matey. The more the merrier!

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Bretty If I was to pick three albums from my selection, that I don't think have been mentioned elsewhere, they would be: Alan Parsons Project.........Eye in the sky 10cc.........................Deceptive bends Wynton Marsalis..............The Haydn trumpet concerto I enjoy keeping an eye from the side lines and seeing what "jems" turn up. A vinyl thread was a great idea, and it's under the stewardship of a knowledgable chairman. I may interject from time to time, if that's ok. Keep flying the flag. :)

There is no stewardship on this thread unless it's from the Mods at WHF (it is their forum) and I am not the chairman I only started it.
smiley-innocent.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
CnoEvil said:

There is no stewardship on this thread unless it's from the Mods at WHF (it is their forum) and I am not the chairman I only started it.
smiley-innocent.gif

It was meant as a complement. :~

The only point I was trying to make, was that you were there bringing your time, knowledge, and advice for the benefit of others...nothing more. :)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
314dQ7ArY8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Texas - SouthSide. Simply Vinyl 180grammer.

Just kindly donated to me by that all-round good egg, Mitchy-boy
smiley-smile.gif
Cheers, mate, appreciate it!

Jase, you asked about good labels for SQ? I can recommend Simply Vinyl, now. Both this and 'American Pie', that I got a couple of days ago, are on SV and both have been perfect.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty said:

smiley-smile.gif

Jase, you asked about good labels for SQ? I can recommend Simply Vinyl, now. Both this and 'American Pie', that I got a couple of days ago, are on SV and both have been perfect.

My pleasure Bretts, glad it's gone to a good home instead of gathering dust and, I agree, the quality is superb. Meant to say earlier if you're at a loose end then your are more than welcome to pop over and rummage through my collection.

EDIT -

Here's one for the fans!

http://www.myplaydirect.com/pearl-jam/details/5747677

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:

smiley-smile.gif

Cheers Bretty,

Thats good to know....:)

Curently listening to:

U2 - Rattle and Hum - Second Hand from Ebay and sound quality is amazing :)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65 said:
bretty said:

smiley-smile.gif

My pleasure Bretts, glad it's gone to a good home instead of gathering dust and, I agree, the quality is superb. Meant to say earlier if you're at a loose end then your are more than welcome to pop over and rummage through my collection.

EDIT -

Here's one for the fans!

http://www.myplaydirect.com/pearl-jam/details/5747677
Haha! Yep, I've had that Pearl Jam boxset bookmarked for a few weeks now!

I might just get the 'Vs' reissue though. My copy of Vitalogy is mint, so I don't really need the new one of it. The Live disc sounds interesting, but then I bought a blindin vinyl bootleg a while back, which has the unplugged session on one side and an electric set on the other, so I don't really need the new live disc either.

The 'VS' reissue I will defo get, cos my copy gets a bit crackly on the last track (indifference). And, the new re-issue has 'Crazy Mary' on it, which is up there as one of my all time fave PJ tracks. I'll try and find a link for it.

Oh, Jase and any other PJ fans, the bootleg i've got is called 'Oceans'. It's really great quality, especially the MTV Unplugged set. It comes up from time to time on the 'bay, and goes from anywhere between £15 (if you're lucky) to £40. I was in the middle at £28.

EDIT: Sweet, it's on YouTube. It's a cover of a Victoria Williams Song and has her on backing vocals. I've had this track for about ten years, on crappy MP3. It'll be great to finally hear it as it should be heard: on vinyl.

Anyway, get yer lugholes round this, it's goooooood!

CRAZY MARY

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
DIB said:
This is the best purchase of the year so far for me. Original LP from the 70's in almost perfect condition, £3.00 plus P & P.

If you like early 70's prog then it doesn't get much better than this. I'd place it above "Moving Waves" and "Focus III".

61A-JFpfAHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Listening to this right now, I really like the climax to side one and side two is going well. Bit of a punt at a fiver but it's in good nick.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
mitch65 said:
DIB said:
This is the best purchase of the year so far for me. Original LP from the 70's in almost perfect condition, £3.00 plus P & P.

If you like early 70's prog then it doesn't get much better than this. I'd place it above "Moving Waves" and "Focus III".

Listening to this right now, I really like the climax to side one and side two is going well. Bit of a punt at a fiver but it's in good nick.

Good man!

PS: A fiver? Bargain
smiley-smile.gif

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
mitch65 said:
DIB said:

Good man!

smiley-smile.gif

I bought Focus III yesterday by chance at Hereford market yesterday for £7.00 . Which isn't bad as it is a double album , making that £3.50 a record ( See Dad , all that money you spent on a public school educashion for me wasn't a complete waste ! ) . I also bought Jean Michel Jarre's Magnetic Field , only because it was £2.00 .

Whilst the Focus lps do sound of their age they are still a good listen . I have heard three sides so far and like what I hear .

Two lps that I have got on order are Blackouts by Manuel Gottsching and Departure from the Northern Wasteland by Michael Hoenig . Both recorded in the 70s . I have been listening to them alot on YouTube recently and decided that I need to have them . Worth checking out if you are into spacey guitar and synthesizer music .

Nick

Nick

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
DIB said:
mitch65 said:
DIB said:

Good man!

smiley-smile.gif

I bought Focus III yesterday by chance at Hereford market yesterday for £7.00 . Which isn't bad as it is a double album , making that £3.50 a record ( See Dad , all that money you spent on a public school educashion for me wasn't a complete waste ! ) . I also bought Jean Michel Jarre's Magnetic Field , only because it was £2.00 . Whilst the Focus lps do sound of their age they are still a good listen . I have heard three sides so far and like what I hear . Two lps that I have got on order are Blackouts by Manuel Gottsching and Departure from the Northern Wasteland by Michael Hoenig . Both recorded in the 70s . I have been listening to them alot on YouTube recently and decided that I need to have them . Worth checking out if you are into spacey guitar and synthesizer music . Nick Nick

speaking of Jean Michel Jarre, I picked up Oxygene/Equinoxe double album the other day for 8 quid and in mint condition. I was a big fan back then and If I see Magnetic Fields I'll have that too :bigsmile:

A

Anonymous

David Bowie - Low

Mike Oldfield - Crises

Radiohead - In Rainbows

A

Anonymous

Hehehehehe :) Oh yes. I picked up Crises from a charity shop for 3 quid. It's almost mint apart from a 10 second scuff on the first track.

When I heard that song creep into the music it almost blew me away. A powerful recording, and sounds great on vinyl. The second side is full of some of Oldfield's songs, some very catchy and groovy stuff on there!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
One of Richard & Linda Thompson's less well known offerings, this is one of my favourites. I already had the CD but saw this on Ebay for a decent price so thought why not
smiley-smile.gif

51%2B%2BrjqeGUL._SS500_.jpg

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
417%2B49rzvSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Maxwell - Blacksummer's night.

This arrived today. It's a German pressing and sounds tops. Included with the record is the CD version of the album. Nice touch.

Not bad for a tenner from Marketplace.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty said:
417%2B49rzvSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Maxwell - Blacksummer's night.

This arrived today. It's a German pressing and sounds tops. Included with the record is the CD version of the album. Nice touch.

Not bad for a tenner from Marketplace.

Isn't that a great idea? I bought Madonna's Hard Candy on vinyl last year and that came with the CD version as well, considering how much you can pay for new vinyl I think it's the least they can do :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts