What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
due today being my b'day 29 so maybe one of the younger vinyl posters ive been treated for the mrs 2 bits of plastic from amazon

verve - urban hymns ( and make it better she went for the £22.99 double lp on captiol vaults label rather than the cheaper £14.99 us import on 1 vinyl so very pleased.will report back by the weekend and let you know how it sounds).

and due to black rock album i was going to give it a miss but i have loved joes new album on spofity so i now have a new copy of joe bonamassa - dust bowl and 4 tracks in as i write very very impressive far more depth than black rock and hes not trying anything fancy just playing simple newage blues love it.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I would like to comment on CnoEvil’s lists as I think I am a little older than him and with some of the artists mentioned would suggest you listen to earlier releases first.
With Led Zeppelin you need to start with Zeppelin 1 and then work through Zep 2,3,4 and Houses of the Holy before you listen to Physical Graffitti.
Black Sabbath you also need to start with the first album Black Sabbath, following with the 2nd album Paranoid, Sabbath Four and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath before you get to Sabotage.
Deep Purple In Rock and Fireball need to be listened to before Machine Head.
All the 70s Steely Dan albums are very good with the exception of Katy Lied but you need to start with Can’t Buy a Thrill.
Santana start with Abraxas and the 3rd album before Caravanserai (No 4)
Rod Stewart you need to listen to Every Picture tells a Story.
Roxy Music start with For Your Pleasure, Stranded and Country Life before you get to Avalon and Flesh and Blood which are nothing like the early Roxy Stuff.

To CnoEvil please don’t take this as criticism of your list which I have not added any artists too, I just think the earlier stuff needs examining first.

If Smuggs ever comments on Frampton Comes Alive I may give him a list of additional stuff to listen to.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
I would like to comment on CnoEvil’s lists as I think I am a little older than him and with some of the artists mentioned would suggest you listen to earlier releases first.
With Led Zeppelin you need to start with Zeppelin 1 and then work through Zep 2,3,4 and Houses of the Holy before you listen to Physical Graffitti.
Black Sabbath you also need to start with the first album Black Sabbath, following with the 2nd album Paranoid, Sabbath Four and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath before you get to Sabotage.
Deep Purple In Rock and Fireball need to be listened to before Machine Head.
All the 70s Steely Dan albums are very good with the exception of Katy Lied but you need to start with Can’t Buy a Thrill.
Santana start with Abraxas and the 3rd album before Caravanserai (No 4)
Rod Stewart you need to listen to Every Picture tells a Story.
Roxy Music start with For Your Pleasure, Stranded and Country Life before you get to Avalon and Flesh and Blood which are nothing like the early Roxy Stuff.

To CnoEvil please don’t take this as criticism of your list which I have not added any artists too, I just think the earlier stuff needs examining first.

If Smuggs ever comments on Frampton Comes Alive I may give him a list of additional stuff to listen to.

I absolutely take "no offence" - it is your thread after all. :)

All things being equal, you are of course correct. Though aware of the earlier stuff, I picked out my very favorite album/albums for each artist, even though it was out of chronological sequence. It was as much about giving my favorites, as putting foward ideas that could then be followed up. I should have made that clear.

My lists were quite long enough as it was, and made before I trauled though the 60 odd pages of this thread, which list a great many of them, along with other wonderful albums. There's been remarkably few "duds" mentioned.

Age wise, I am very happy to know that there is "older and wiser" on here. My serious listening started in 1973, if that helps to place me. :(

Its great to see my taste matches that of others, and that younger folk are "seeing the light" as well. :)

A

Anonymous

Lambchop - Nixon

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Marijata - This is Marijata

Rocksteady Hits of 69

A

Anonymous

Lambchop - Nixon

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Marijata - This is Marijata

Rocksteady Hits of 69

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
sorry LA i missed out on a cheap copy of frampton comes alive on lp so i gave it a spin on spotify. it was good, funny though the track i found cheesy was the one with most hits from other people and imo was the worst of the album (show me the way). but if a cheap copy comes again near easter when i get paid i will snap it up. was not aware it was the best selling live album for some time. i get paid around the 25th so a list of classics would go a treat. many thanks LA i am though saving for a record fair on may 22nd in leicester as i spent £48 pound last time i want aleast another £40 nicker to be armed with.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
smuggs said:
sorry LA i missed out on a cheap copy of frampton comes alive on lp so i gave it a spin on spotify. it was good, funny though the track i found cheesy was the one with most hits from other people and imo was the worst of the album (show me the way). but if a cheap copy comes again near easter when i get paid i will snap it up. was not aware it was the best selling live album for some time. i get paid around the 25th so a list of classics would go a treat. many thanks LA i am though saving for a record fair on may 22nd in leicester as i spent £48 pound last time i want aleast another £40 nicker to be armed with.

Happy birthday. I will post a list tomorrow when I have more time.
I have a wedding on the 21st May otherwise I may have been at the Leicester fair.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
51cFR2xheIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Meshuggah - Obzen

41DFM7Z4Q9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sting - Bring on the night

41tcgAarhEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sting - Nothing like the sun

51MIW4TvbdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lisa Hannigan - Sea Sew

61Qg7St-sgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Red hot chili peppers - Blood sugar sex magik

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty said:
51lldg3-eYL._SS400_.jpg

Bonnie Prince Billy - I see a darkness

Strange album this one, wasn't too sure but the more you listen the more it just draws you in, bet it sounds something else with a few drinkies inside!!.

I could have gone the rest of my life without listening to Bonnie Prince Billy and I would have missed something out of the ordinary so I have to thank Bretty for that one.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
mitch65 said:
bretty said:
51lldg3-eYL._SS400_.jpg

Bonnie Prince Billy - I see a darkness

Strange album this one, wasn't too sure but the more you listen the more it just draws you in, bet it sounds something else with a few drinkies inside!!.

I could have gone the rest of my life without listening to Bonnie Prince Billy and I would have missed something out of the ordinary so I have to thank Bretty for that one.

Snap on that Mitch.....

I ordered thia last week on Bretty's recommendation and it arrived today along with RHCP Mothers Milk.

First Spin of Bonnie "Prince" Billy and I like it....I think its one of those records though that will get better after two or three or more listens......His style reminded me of someone and I have been trying to rack my brains and then it came to me half way through the second side....his style and voice remind me a lot of Ryan Adams.

Now onto Mothers Milk - 180g reissued Limited Edition :) Now ok I am biased because I love the RHCP...but wow, wow, wow....on vinyl this sound amazing....I cant await for my copy of Blood Sex Love Magik to arrive :)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
This is the best purchase of the year so far for me. Original LP from the 70's in almost perfect condition, £3.00 plus P & P.

If you like early 70's prog then it doesn't get much better than this. I'd place it above "Moving Waves" and "Focus III".

61A-JFpfAHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65 said:
RHCP have well and truely been under my radar, me thinks I will have to prise a copy from Bretty to see if it's worth a punt ;)

Oh really? It'll cost ya!
smiley-wink.gif
Only joshing. i'll sort you out mate. Bllood sugar sex magik is blinding in both SQ and songwriting.

I'm glad both you and Jase 'got' Billy. Seriously, you wait til you heard it a few more times, you'll fall in love with it.

All this talk of Billy has gotten me in the mood for him, so i've got this on:

51Ssr8n4IIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Master and Everyone.

This is a different beast to 'I see a darkness'. Where the latter is flawlessly recorded, 'Master and everyone' is ruff and ready. The songs are still hauntingly beautiful, but there's a load of distortion on both the bass guitar and and bass strings of his guitar. It's distracting at first, but it actually becomes one of the album's charms. It's refreshingly honest.

And yes, i'll lend it to you, Mitch
smiley-smile.gif

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
This is the best purchase of the year so far for me. Original LP from the 70's in almost perfect condition, £3.00 plus P & P.

If you like early 70's prog then it doesn't get much better than this. I'd place it above "Moving Waves" and "Focus III".

61A-JFpfAHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

DIB ,

I will keep my eyes open for this one at the next record fair I get to , and any other Focus LPs I come across . I had hoped to get to one in Telford last Saturday but logistics didn't permit .
I have been on a bit of a K-r-a-u-t rock , or Kosmische Musik as the Germans call it , binge recently with a couple of Klaus Schulz CDs ,the Werner Herzog film soundtracks CD box set by Popol Vuh (unfortunately not available on vinyl)and Blackouts LP by Ashra on the way .Manuel Gottsching is a much under rated guitar player .All very laid back and spacey . Not everyone's cup of tea, but it is mine .

Nick

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty said:
mitch65 said:
RHCP have well and truely been under my radar, me thinks I will have to prise a copy from Bretty to see if it's worth a punt ;)

Oh really? It'll cost ya!
smiley-wink.gif
Only joshing. i'll sort you out mate. Bllood sugar sex magik is blinding in both SQ and songwriting.

I'm glad both you and Jase 'got' Billy. Seriously, you wait til you heard it a few more times, you'll fall in love with it.

All this talk of Billy has gotten me in the mood for him, so i've got this on:

51Ssr8n4IIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Master and Everyone.

This is a different beast to 'I see a darkness'. Where the latter is flawlessly recorded, 'Master and everyone' is ruff and ready. The songs are still hauntingly beautiful, but there's a load of distortion on both the bass guitar and and bass strings of his guitar. It's distracting at first, but it actually becomes one of the album's charms. It's refreshingly honest.

And yes, i'll lend it to you, Mitch
smiley-smile.gif

Tell you what, that picture is a tad freaky - looks like the leader of some cult group, Charles Manson or something....... J)

EDIT- sorry Bretty I reread my previous and it was meant more of a joke rather than treating you like a lending Library...........not that I would turn down your gracious offer of course :bigsmile:

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65 said:
EDIT- sorry Bretty I reread my previous and it was meant more of a joke rather than treating you like a lending Library...........not that I would turn down your gracious offer of course :bigsmile:

I know mate, it's all good
smiley-smile.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65 said:
bretty said:
61rEBXLxaYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Stevie Wonder - Talking Book

Never a big fan of Stevie Wonder but I do like this album even though mines a little bit older than yours.....
Actually, I agree with you. I think he's pretty limited as a songwriter. I really only like 'Superstition' from this album. 'Songs in the Key of Life' has more good songs than this, but even that has more than it's share of stinkers on it.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Two New Deliveries Today:

U2 - Rattle & Hum (second hand original pressing....Sleeve is a bit worn and marked, but the vinyl is excellenty and plays very well..not bad for £5.00)

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

and then

Bonnie "Prince" Billie - I See a Darkness

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Two New Deliveries Today: U2 - Rattle & Hum (second hand original pressing....Sleeve is a bit worn and marked, but the vinyl is excellenty and plays very well..not bad for £5.00) Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik and then Bonnie "Prince" Billie - I See a Darkness

Evening sorted... :bigsmile:

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
mitch65 said:
Jason36 said:
Two New Deliveries Today: U2 - Rattle & Hum (second hand original pressing....Sleeve is a bit worn and marked, but the vinyl is excellenty and plays very well..not bad for £5.00) Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik and then Bonnie "Prince" Billie - I See a Darkness

Evening sorted... :bigsmile:

Hahaha Thats pretty much what Bretty said as well :)

After all those I will probably have a bit of Isobel Campbell (so to speak) - Silky White Sheets and Hawk...both excellent albums :)

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
police&sting - roxanne 7inch single limited blue vinyl on the a&m label just gone through the anti-stat and will be on in 2 hours love the song and someone out of nowwhere gave me his copy so cant moan.

on the platter at the minute is gil scott-heron- real eyes very good

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts