What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 37 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bretty said:
414N4Q7F3PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now that takes me back.........did you enjoy it?......I always did on vinyl, though that view doesn't hold as much "street cred" as it did back then.....but I went out of date years ago. :(

If you want a list of LPs to check out from 70s & early 80s, I can give a list as long as your arm.

The music from back then only really works on vinyl - unless 24bit becomes available (and it might from Apple).

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
bretty said:

Now that takes me back.........did you enjoy it?......I always did on vinyl, though that view doesn't hold as much "street cred" as it did back then.....but I went out of date years ago. :( If you want a list of LPs to check out from 70s & early 80s, I can give a list as long as your arm. The music from back then only really works on vinyl - unless 24bit becomes available (and it might from Apple).

I did, but it's a hit and miss album. Plenty of filler on there. Predictable, I know, but 'In the air tonight' was made to be heard on vinyl. It sounds great. I actually didn't make it through the whole album today, 'cos postie turned up with my copy of Maxwell ' Now'.

Always up for tips, mate: bring that list on
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

WHERE did you pick up the Red Hot Chilli Peppers?

...on heavy rotation at matsuli HQ this afternoon:

Marijata - This is Marijata (Academy/Voodoo Funk). Legendary Ghanaian afro funk monster trading at $500 plus on eBay, recently reissued by Voodoofunk

Ananda Shankar and His Music

Rocksteady Hits of 69

A

Anonymous

WHERE did you pick up the Red Hot Chilli Peppers?

...on heavy rotation at matsuli HQ this afternoon:

Marijata - This is Marijata (Academy/Voodoo Funk). Legendary Ghanaian afro funk monster trading at $500 plus on eBay, recently reissued by Voodoofunk

Ananda Shankar and His Music

Rocksteady Hits of 69

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bretty said:
CnoEvil said:
bretty said:

Now that takes me back.........did you enjoy it?......I always did on vinyl, though that view doesn't hold as much "street cred" as it did back then.....but I went out of date years ago. :( If you want a list of LPs to check out from 70s & early 80s, I can give a list as long as your arm. The music from back then only really works on vinyl - unless 24bit becomes available (and it might from Apple).

I did, but it's a hit and miss album. Plenty of filler on there. Predictable, I know, but 'In the air tonight' was made to be heard on vinyl. It sounds great. I actually didn't make it through the whole album today, 'cos postie turned up with my copy of Maxwell ' Now'.

Always up for tips, mate: bring that list on
smiley-smile.gif

Well Bretty my man...you asked for it...Here is a very eclectic mix of stuff I enjoyed from back then:

Rick Wakeman............... Journey to the centre of the earth
Jon and Vangellis ..........The friends of Mr Cairo (interesting)
Led Zeplin .................Physical Graphiti (a must have) - double
Black Sabboth ..............Sabotage
10 cc ......................Deceptive bends (a classic of 70s)
Pink Floyd .................Dark side of the moon/The wall
The Police .................Reggatta de blanc (classic)
Gallagher & Lyle .......Break away
Simon & Garfunkel ......Bridge over troubled water (classic)
Elton John .................Goodbye yellow brick road (double)/Captain Fantastic (2 of my favorites)
Neil Diamond ...............Hot August night (Dble album - get if you like N.Diamond)
E.L.O. .....................Out of the blue (double)
Focus ......................Animal Instinct (weird - in a good way)
Deep Purple ................Machine head (classic)
Genisis ....................Trick of the tail
Jack Loussier ..............Plays Bach (jazzed up Bach - great stuff if you like jazz)
Alan Parsons Project .......Eye in the sky (great album)
Fleetwood Mac ..............Rumours/Tusc/Mirage (classic stuff)
Ac/Dc ......................Highway to hell
Steely Dan .................Royal Scam (Great Album - check out)
Santana ....................Blues for Salvador/Caravanserai (great stuff)
O.M.D ......................Archecture & Morality (interesting)
Jethro Tull ................Too old to rock & roll, too young to die (plays flute in rock band)
Supertramp .................Crime of the century/Breakfast in America (2 of my favorites)
Meatloaf ...................Bat out of hell
Deodato ....................Prelude/Deodato 11
Bob Dylan ..................Mercy (Great Album)
Eagles......................Hotel California (must have)
Carl Orff...................Carmina Burana (music used in The Omen)

That list tells more about me than I usually declare, but if it proves useful then it was worth it. Please let me know if you end up with any of them and if you like or dislike them.

Some of them are a bit "of their time". Good hunting

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Bretty

If there is anything in my list (which is now readable) that catches the eye, I can send Part 2.
If not..no harm done...tastes vary. :)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Bretty If there is anything in my list (which is now readable) that catches the eye, I can send Part 2. If not..no harm done...tastes vary. :)

Thanks for taking the time, mate. There's stuff there i'm interested in. There's some stuff there I have already, so we have some similar tastes.

Keep it coming, fella
smiley-smile.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bretty said:
CnoEvil said:
Bretty If there is anything in my list (which is now readable) that catches the eye, I can send Part 2. If not..no harm done...tastes vary. :)

Thanks for taking the time, mate. There's stuff there i'm interested in. There's some stuff there I have already, so we have some similar tastes.

Keep it coming, fella
smiley-smile.gif

Part 2 as promised:

Wings....................Band on the run (brilliant)
Cat Stevens..............Teaser and the fire cat (a classic)
Beetles..................Sgt. Pepper/Abbey Rd
Doobie Bros..............The captain and me
Emerson Lake & Palmer....Brain salad surgery
The Clash................The Clash
Sex Pistols..............Never mind the bollocks
Rod Stewart..............A night on the town
Yes......................The Yes album
Paul Simon...............Graceland (must own)
Rany Edleman.............Fairwell fairbanks (good)
Sting....................Nothing like the sun
Jeff Wayne...............War of the worlds
Chris de burg............Spanish Train (his best album)
Thin Lizzy...............Whiskey in the jar
U2.......................Joshua tree (brilliant- I was at school with Adam Clayton!)
Eric Clapton.............Unplugged
Don McLean...............American Pie (a must own)
Lou Reid.................Transformer
Randy Crawford...........Secret combination (brilliant)
Tracey Chapman...........Tracey Chapman (Brilliant)
Stevie Wonder............Hotter than July
Bonnie Tyler.............Faster than the speed of night (well I like it)
REM.....................(take your pick - all good)
George Benson............Breezin'
Bob Marley...............Exodus (love it)
Frankie goes to H.Wood...Welcome to the pleasure dome (classic)

That lot should keep you going for a while (anyway, my brain's just frozen up. :( )

Good Luck

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Good work. Have a breather and a cuppa tea
smiley-smile.gif

Out of the stuff you've posted, I have:

Pink Floyd

The Police

Fleetwood Mac

Steely Dan

The Eagles

Paul Simon

U2

Tracey Chapman

Stevie Wonder

Sting (I already had a few of his on vinyl, but weirdly, I bought nothing like the Sun on vinyl, just last week. Brilliant album. Fragile and They Dance Alone are beautiful tracks. If you don't have it 'The soul cages' is great for SQ. The tracks aren't all winners, though.)

There's plenty of others on your list that made me go 'Of course, how could I forget them?!'. Don Mclean, for starters
smiley-smile.gif

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Some good stuff on there CnoEvil :)

Nice to see people with similar tastes in music and being able to get recommendation on albums you have either forgotten about or never thought about.

I'm currently listening to the new Eva Cassidy CD which is excellent and sounds amazing...I just keep wondering how much better it would sound on Vinyl if its available :)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
smiley-smile.gif

Pink Floyd

The Police

Fleetwood Mac

Steely Dan

The Eagles

Paul Simon

U2

Tracey Chapman

Stevie Wonder

Sting (I already had a few of his on vinyl, but weirdly, I bought nothing like the Sun on vinyl, just last week. Brilliant album. Fragile and They Dance Alone are beautiful tracks. If you don't have it 'The soul cages' is great for SQ. The tracks aren't all winners, though.)

There's plenty of others on your list that made me go 'Of course, how could I forget them?!'. Don Mclean, for starters
smiley-smile.gif

I have "Chain Lightening" by Don Mclean...bought for me by my other half from a charity shop and can highly recommend it....the copy I have is in excellent condition with no background noise :)

djsid

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
As its Sunday, Iam currently listening to some nice chilled out Vangelis, Iam onto Chariots of fire now, just listened to the friends of mr cairo, listening to it on my sony ps-lx2 what I got off ebay for 10.50, next sunday I will be listening to it on my newly aquired acoustic research eb101, ebay 65 pounds, cant wait, need a copy of vangelis`s soil festivities on vinyl cos that is the most chilled out piece of music in the world.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Some good stuff on there CnoEvil :) Nice to see people with similar tastes in music and being able to get recommendation on albums you have either forgotten about or never thought about. I'm currently listening to the new Eva Cassidy CD which is excellent and sounds amazing...I just keep wondering how much better it would sound on Vinyl if its available :)

All it does is show your age.

There's another thread called, "where all the good music gone" or some such name........well IT'S HERE! :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bretty said:
smiley-smile.gif

Pink Floyd

The Police

Fleetwood Mac

Steely Dan

The Eagles

Paul Simon

U2

Tracey Chapman

Stevie Wonder

smiley-smile.gif

Now working on Part 3 (brain cooled a bit, having mowed the lawn).

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Jason36 said:
Some good stuff on there CnoEvil :) Nice to see people with similar tastes in music and being able to get recommendation on albums you have either forgotten about or never thought about. I'm currently listening to the new Eva Cassidy CD which is excellent and sounds amazing...I just keep wondering how much better it would sound on Vinyl if its available :)

All it does is show your age. There's another thread called, "where all the good music gone" or some such name........well IT'S HERE! :)

Or just that you have an eclectic taste in music.....obviously only being a whippser snapper of a lad ;-) I like to think the latter.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Jason36 said:
CnoEvil said:
Jason36 said:

All it does is show your age. There's another thread called, "where all the good music gone" or some such name........well IT'S HERE! :)

Or just that you have an eclectic taste in music.....obviously only being a whippser snapper of a lad ;-) I like to think the latter.

Most people have a reasonable knowledge of newer artists, but you need to be a "bit" older, to remember the sort of music on my lists.

I no longer own a lot of it, as it was on vinyl, and I sold my Linn (and LPs) 20 years ago. Most of it just doesn't "cut it" on CD. :(( .

I have no intention of going back, but if people get inspiration/ideas from my "back catalogue", I take comfort in knowing that this knowledge hasn't gone to waste.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bretty said:
smiley-smile.gif

Pink Floyd

The Police

Fleetwood Mac

Steely Dan

The Eagles

Paul Simon

U2

Tracey Chapman

Stevie Wonder

smiley-smile.gif

Part 3 (I'm off again)

Iron Maiden...............Iron Maiden
Mike Oldfield.............Tubular bells (classic)
Sparks....................Kimono my house (bit of a marmite group)
Marvin Gaye...............Let's get it on
Elkie Brooks..............Pearls
Earth wind and fire.......Boogie wonderland
M. Jackson................Bad
Abba......................Arrival (won't admit to liking)
BeeGees...................Sat night fever (don't admit to liking)
UB 40.....................Present arms/Labour of love (big fan)
2001......................A space odyssy
Bagatelle.................Bagetelle (rare,under rated- picture of w'fall on cover)
Richard Clayderman........Magic of R.C (easy listening)
Dire Straits..............Dire Straits/communique/making movies/love over gold (must have)
D.Bowie...................Ziggy Stardust
Van Morrison..............(take your pick)
Supertramp................Some things never change (brilliant newer stuff)
Louis Armstrong...........(need some in collection)
Nat King Cole.............(classic "mood" music - if you're not too young)
Roxy Music................Avalon/Flesh and blood.(great stuff)
Leonard Cohen.............Various positions
Joe Bonamassa.............(check out - brilliant blues/jazz guitarest)
Wynton Marsalis...........Haydn concerto for trumpet & orchestra (fantastic grammy award LP)
Jean Michelle Jarre.......Oxygen/Equinox (Oxygen is better)
The Who...................Tommy

That's it for the moment - do let me know if you discover something new from lists (and anyone else who happens by). :)

TRENDING THREADS