What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
51l2KwZ8OxL._SS500_.jpg

They flew us in from a Hamburg strip, the taste of Dusseldorf still on our lips.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
moonflower i have after a near mint of that i forgot about it. I think its the album with shes not there a classic i bet it sounds awesome on the black plastic.

at the minute im having a mellow listen to j.j cale-really what a top album anyone who sees it cheap just get it if you dont get for chilling out or background music.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Another outing for this one...

51TknQrnCnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I love "Bell Bottom Blues" in particular, however, funnily enough if I never heard the actual track "Layla" again I wouldn't be sorry.

It's up there with "Alright Now" and "Freebird" as rock classics that really irritate me. Maybe it's because whenever I tune into the local Rock Radio FM it's these tunes that just get played to death.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB:

Layla and 461 Boulevard are 2 albums I never gor aroumd to buying. I looked at both on Saturday but left without them.

Robin Trower Portfolio double album which I purchased Saturday. The only Trower album I had was Bridge of Sighs bought in the early 70s so I thought I'd give this a go. After one listen the 3 Bridge of Sighs tracks are maybe the pick of the album but some of the tracks will grow on me with a few more spins I think. Could not find a pic.

Smuggs She's Not There is on Moonflower. I changed my mind and only played sides 3&4. If my memories correct there are some good tracks on Sides 1&2 which I will play tomorrow. My wife won't enjoy that as she hates Santana, only decent band she doesn't like. Never mind

Apologies: Don't know why this came out bold

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
massive stone roses fan have all the cds, cant find a good priced lp has there been any re-issues/remastered offerings £19.99 or less

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Now this one has definitely not been played for over 20 years. Sounding pretty good, but upon reading a review on Amazon before, it appears that this has been given the Thin Lizzy/Live and Dangerous treatment ie. plenty of studio enhancements after the event.

Nonetheless still sounds good.

41k1RZrFGSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles:DIB:

Layla and 461 Boulevard are 2 albums I never gor aroumd to buying. I looked at both on Saturday but left without them.

Robin Trower Portfolio double album which I purchased Saturday. The only Trower album I had was Bridge of Sighs bought in the early 70s so I thought I'd give this a go. After one listen the 3 Bridge of Sighs tracks are maybe the pick of the album but some of the tracks will grow on me with a few more spins I think. Could not find a pic.

Smuggs She's Not There is on Moonflower. I changed my mind and only played sides 3&4. If my memories correct there are some good tracks on Sides 1&2 which I will play tomorrow. My wife won't enjoy that as she hates Santana, only decent band she doesn't like. Never mind

Apologies: Don't know why this came out bold

461 Boulevard is a good one, I'm going to dig that one out later.

As regards Robin Trower, I'm not surprised that the Bridge of Sighs tracks are the pick of the bunch. I've heard plenty of RT albums and BOS is definitely the best, but thats not to say that the rest are shabby, far from it.

I've mentioned this before but everyone should visit Youtube and listen to Robin Trower playing "Daydream", recorded for the German TV show Rockpalast in 2005. 10.00 mins of completly mastery of a Fender Strat.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
mitch65:

Gone mad over the last few days down at the local record shop.........just cleaned and played

5467937176_d7247d165b_m.jpg

Will be sneaking down to buy more soon
emotion-2.gif

I've spent the last year or more looking for a copy of this so I'm quite envious
emotion-9.gif
I think I will buy a new 180g copy.

Played sides 1&2 of Moonflower and it reminded me of when I saw them around 1971 at Birmingham Odeon.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
999-Separates-518438.jpg

999 - Separates

Even though 999 was a punk band, Separates's production/mastering sounds sweet, so much so that it - according to an interview in the NME, back in the day - prompted Phil Oakey to seek out its producer, Martin Rushent, to helm Human League's Dare.

A

Anonymous

Cat Power - You Are Free

Tom Waits - Mule Variations

Antony and the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now

Orlando Julius and the Afro Sounders

James Blake

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
mitch65:

Gone mad over the last few days down at the local record shop.........just cleaned and played

Although `Rosanna` and `Africa` took all the plaudits my favourite track is `I Won`t Hold You Back` which was released as a single but seems to have been all but forgotten. I also think some of Toto`s earlier albums are worth a listen.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Lost Angeles:mitch65:

Will be sneaking down to buy more soon
emotion-2.gif

I've spent the last year or more looking for a copy of this so I'm quite envious
emotion-9.gif
I think I will buy a new 180g copy.

Played sides 1&2 of Moonflower and it reminded me of when I saw them around 1971 at Birmingham Odeon.

This find was blind luck with cover and vinyl in near mint condition. all for just a £1.00
emotion-2.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
survivor:mitch65:

Although `Rosanna` and `Africa` took all the plaudits my favourite track is `I Won`t Hold You Back` which was released as a single but seems to have been all but forgotten. I also think some of Toto`s earlier albums are worth a listen.

This is the album I remember back in the day but if i find the earlier ones I'll probably take a punt.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Well it arrived safely Tuesday, all the way from sunny Rugeley, Played it last night and it's on again as I type. Second hand but in almost perfect condition, not a hint of hiss or pop. You can't beat really old, well cared for vinyl. It actually feels like a modern 180gm disc.

Very dated and very much of its time. Perfect
emotion-2.gif

51q4Z8IJqJL._SS400_.jpg

When I bought the Colosseum I also treated myself to a new pressing on Rhino Records of this HEAVY classic. I've played that twice too, thank god the wife is out at work.

61Sne7FFjhL._SS400_.jpg

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
mitch65:survivor:mitch65:

This is the album I remember back in the day but if i find the earlier ones I'll probably take a punt.

I've acquired the first album and Turn Back (3rd album) recently. I really like Turn Back and love the track English Eyes although the album was not highly regarded when released. I have a mate who is a big Toto fan and he rates Hydra (2nd album) as their best. I do like IV though.
I also bought Isolation (5th album) from a charity shop for a quid last Friday.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB:

Well it arrived safely Tuesday, all the way from sunny Rugeley, Played it last night and it's on again as I type. Second hand but in almost perfect condition, not a hint of hiss or pop. You can't beat really old, well cared for vinyl. It actually feels like a modern 180gm disc.

Very dated and very much of its time. Perfect
emotion-2.gif

51q4Z8IJqJL._SS400_.jpg
When I bought the Colosseum I also treated myself to a new pressing on Rhino Records of this HEAVY classic. I've played that twice too, thank god the wife is out at work.

61Sne7FFjhL._SS400_.jpg

Currently listening to Valentyne Suite off Spotify after seeing this post. I love the Colosseum track Lost Angeles (obvious really) off the live album from the early 70s, my favourite live track of all but struggle with all there other stuff. I may have to give Daughter of Time and Those About To Rock We Salute You (Great title) another listen.
The First Sabbath album is brilliant, I may have to acquire a 18g copy.

After seeing a copy of Tom Petty Southern Accents in a shop on Saturday I decided to dig my Cassette player out earlier a Denon DRM-22 and have a listen to this off tape and very enjoyable it was, just wish I'd bought the vinyl copy on Saturday now. I presume my copy was from that shiny stuff we cannot mention on here (don't tell Floyd Droid) but it had a lovely warm sound to it, lacks the body of the TT though.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A welcome return to the TT, from the days when supergroups were the thing, 1/3 JB and 2/3's Vanilla Fudge. Not Jeff Beck's best but it has it's moments.The best track on it is Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" which they were going to release as a single but then Stevie Wonder decided to release it himself as a single, which is fair enough I suppose.

51SsUeJ7QDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Lost Angeles:mitch65:survivor:mitch65:

I've acquired the first album and Turn Back (3rd album) recently. I really like Turn Back and love the track English Eyes although the album was not highly regarded when released. I have a mate who is a big Toto fan and he rates Hydra (2nd album) as their best. I do like IV though.
I also bought Isolation (5th album) from a charity shop for a quid last Friday.

Your mate`s got good taste! Whilst saying that `Hydra` does divide opinion somewhat. The album has a certain mood about it but I personally like it. I`d say you have most of the best one`s now that you`ve acquired `Turn Back` which is great and like yourself I`m also very fond of `English Eyes`. I bought the box set of the first seven albums a couple of years ago at a good price and sadly they still haven`t been remastered. `Hydra` in particular needs cleaning up. Just noticed the box set on Amazon has gone up a bit in price which is a pity.

I need to find some new charity shops because they all seem to sell Five Star, Sonia and Brother Beyond around these parts!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
41ENMVCBZYL._SS500_.jpg

Kitsch by the Heavy Metal Kids, a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine from the 70's. Gary Holton's ( of Auf Wiedersehen Pet fame) band, this was their stab at mainstream success, complete with Micky Most (remember him?) over-production. Punk put paid to any chance of that, but it has some good tunes though.

Never saw them but a decent live band I believe, though the name Heavy Metal Kids is stretching the imagination a bit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts