What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 321 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I can't stop playing The Cutting Edge (on CD too). Very interesting to say the least.

One jolt to the senses after another: amongst many highlights, the rollicking Visions of Johanna and a highly palatable Just Like A Woman.

(Jim, BBB, I've done something ridiculous and it involves money I haven't really got and Bob Dylan!!!!)

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
I can't stop playing The Cutting Edge (on CD too). Very interesting to say the least.

One jolt to the senses after another: amongst many highlights, the rollicking Visions of Johanna and a highly palatable Just Like A Woman.

(Jim, BBB, I've done something ridiculous and it involves money I haven't really got and Bob Dylan!!!!)

...my old motto from student days and, since retirement, my current motto: 'Buy now;starve later.'

I guess you bought the 20 million cd version with the free Bob underpants and leopardskin-pillbox hat.

If you need a tin of beans or a loaf of bread, don't hesitate to beg, Charlie.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:

You've offered to pay him a million pounds for half and half sex?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Have you heard this Charlie / Waxy / Scarletpronster / JimW?

Beak - Beak

R-4937856-1379976927-1504.jpeg.jpg

You really must. I'm only on side one of four, but I'm loving it. Can and Neu come to mind, but with added electronic weirdness.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Miles Davis Quintet: 'Relaxin''; 'Cookin''; 'Workin'' and 'Steamin'.'

Now this was a band that could play. Paul Chambers eh? Effortless genius.

Charlie Parker: 'Ballads And Birdland.' (ZuZazz) Live and badly recorded but Parker stretches out and is bewilderingly brilliant...and very funny too when he inserts quotes from popular songs of the day into his solos.

Grateful Dead: 'Anthem Of The Sun.'

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

...my old motto from student days and, since retirement, my current motto: 'Buy now;starve later.'

I guess you bought the 20 million cd version with the free Bob underpants and leopardskin-pillbox hat.

If you need a tin of beans or a loaf of bread, don't hesitate to beg, Charlie.

Got it in one. And yes, send me the beans, please.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

I'm sure Bob and I could reach a mutually satisfactory arrangement!

And no, not heard the Beak album. Sounds intriguing. Is Bob on it though?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

I'm sure Bob and I could reach a mutually satisfactory arrangement!

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
...and everything is possible:

Blind Boy Grunt: 'The Cutting Edge.' Just the 2 cd 'best of'. Not the big-ass expanded version like some people!!! Charlie!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:

I don't think so, but there's definitely quite a lot of weird out of tune noises, so it could be him. *wink*

It's Geoff Barrow from Portishead and a couple of other guys. If side one is representative of the whole album, it'll be a treat for the alternative listeners ears.

This track is more Can than Can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6EZp96IZYg

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Today , in between work and watching the mighty Wasps v Gloucester I have been listening to

Bauhaus - Crackle

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

OMD - The best of

MIA - Kala

Augustines - Augustines

John Mellencamp - The Lonesome Jubilee

Foals - Total Life Forever

As I write

Goat - Live Ballroom Ritual

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
This track is more Can than Can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6EZp96IZYg

No guitar solo? *acute*

Not in any kind of conventional sense, no. You liked it didn't you. Freddy? *wink*

By the way, played 3 or 4 tracks from that Peter Hammill album you suggested. Musically, quite interesting, but I found his voice a little characterless, and to be honest, very average. I can see why he's quite highly regarded, but I can also see why he hasn't set the world alight. Thanks anyway, you never know, one day we might like the same thing. *biggrin*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
Today , in between work and watching the mighty Wasps v Gloucester I have been listening to

Bauhaus - Crackle

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

OMD - The best of

MIA - Kala

Augustines - Augustines

John Mellencamp - The Lonesome Jubilee

Foals - Total Life Forever

As I write

Goat - Live Ballroom Ritual

Some good stuff as always, Jimbo.

Have you heard any of the Beak albums?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Not in any kind of conventional sense, no. You liked it didn't you. Freddy? *wink*

By the way, played 3 or 4 tracks from that Peter Hammill album you suggested. Musically, quite interesting, but I found his voice a little characterless, and to be honest, very average. I can see why he's quite highly regarded, but I can also see why he hasn't set the world alight. Thanks anyway, you never know, one day we might like the same thing. *biggrin*

I can't say it (Beak) set my world alight, no *biggrin*

A pity you weren't too keen on the Hammill. I find it's one of those that's best played in it's entirety, with the lights down low and with no distractions. A funny thing, it's his voice that makes it for me, and quite an unusual style. Btw, I haven't forgotten your suggestions, I'll get round to them pretty soon. Anyway, just for Jim..

The Groundhogs - 'Thanks Christ For The Bomb'

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

A pity you weren't too keen on the Hammill. I find it's one of those that's best played in it's entirety, with the lights down low and with no distractions. A funny thing, it's his voice that makes it for me, and quite an unusual style. Btw, I haven't forgotten your suggestions, I'll get round to them pretty soon. Anyway, just for Jim..

Great record, Freddy! 'Blues Obituary' is pretty good too, but it's pretty expensive these days.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Great record, Freddy! 'Blues Obituary' is pretty good too, but it's pretty expensive these days.

Yes, bought a couple of weeks ago on your say-so for £4
thumbs_up.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Only a little bit of vinyl this week:

Voice Of The Beehive - Let It Bee

418X6KF9GJL.jpg

Gene Krupa/Lionel Hampton/Teddy Wilson - Gene Krupa/Lionel Hampton/Teddy Wilson

R-5815828-1403459627-7848.jpeg.jpg

Various - Buttshakers Soul Party Vol.2

R-2208767-1431559990-2047.jpeg.jpg

TRENDING THREADS