What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 302 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Freddy58 said:
Btw Bernie, are you familiar with King Crimson? Their later stuff was dreadful, so right up your street I reckon *biggrin*

Does later include Discipline and Three Of A Perfect Pair?

Really like those two!!! And Court Of The Crimson King. Very partial to Red too, when the mood takes me to that part of my collection.

Being an old f@rt, and yes...boring, I always hanker towards the first two, as I find them less challenging. But, there are some good moments in their later stuff, what I've heard anyway.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I can't stop playing the strange wonder that is False Priest by Kevin Barnes' Of Montreal.

It's up there with his masterpiece, Paralytic Stalks. I'm hoping for a return to his own brand of accessible experimentalism on next year's new album. Aureate Gloom (2015) was, all things considered, a sludgey let-down.

also:

Down Colorful Hill - Red House Painters

Is Mr. Kozelak's voice the most comically gloomy thing going. Oh, and the most affecting. Cf. Japanese To English and Michael.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Down Colorful Hill - Red House Painters

Is Mr. Kozelek's voice the most comically gloomy thing going. Oh, and the most affecting. Cf. Japanese To English and Michael.

I didn't know you had it.

"I cannot translate, Japanese to English, or English to Japan.....ee-eeze. Classic stuff.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I've had the album on CD for twenty years but just last week bought the re-issue on vinyl. Ah, those post-graduate days of whine and poses.

I also love the Moz-sounding pastiche, Lord Kill The Pain. It used to be one of my last tracks before going out all those years ago. Now it sounds more like an entry from my current internal monologue!!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
A mixed bag today:

Temptation - New Order 7&12" singles

Love Life - Pet Shop Boys 7"

Cheat On Me - The Cribs 7"

Passin' Me By - Pharcyde 12"

Safe As Milk - Beefheart (stereo re-issue)

Live in New York - Zappa

The Monsanto Years - Neil Young

(My favourite Neil guitar album of the last few years).

Paralytic Stalks - Of Montreal

(What a guy, what an album. What a back cat!)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Having heard a couple of tracks during the day on 6 Music, I couldn't wait to get home and stick the whole album on.

I might even give 'Burning Blue Soul' a spin for the first time ever too.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Having heard a couple of tracks during the day on 6 Music, I couldn't wait to get home and stick the whole album on.

Fuuny that, I have done exactly the same except via Spotify as my brother had the vinyl in our house, will be looking out for it in the 2nd hand shops as just looked at it new on vinyl and seems to be about £35 for a special edition.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Just happened to find Pepe Romero, Jeux Interdits - Recuerdos de la Alhambra, while doing some cleaning/reorganising, so thought it only fair to have a listen; then, on to Neil Diamond, Tap Root Manuscript.

It's been a long time since I last listened to these discs, must make more of an effort. Still, I'll give them a clean tomorrow, and see if there's any improvement.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Funny that, I have done exactly the same except via Spotify as my brother had the vinyl in our house, will be looking out for it in the 2nd hand shops as just looked at it new on vinyl and seems to be about £35 for a special edition.

Still sounds fantastic, and the production is superb, especially the last track on side 2.

Check Discogs http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?sort=price%2Casc&limit=250&master_id=20901&ev=mb&format=Vinyl

Unfortunately, 'Burning Blue Soul' was awful, and I couldn't even get through all of side one.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
You are a very bad influence BBB, Soul Mining purchased! When I tell my wife BigBernardBresslaw told me to buy it she will know I have finally flipped!

spining tonight

Hand on the Torch - Us3 (great album and shows what rap/hip hop can do when legitimately let loose on Blue Note's archive!)

Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen (love State Trooper)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
You are a very bad influence BBB, Soul Mining purchased! When I tell my wife BigBernardBresslaw told me to buy it she will know I have finally flipped!

spining tonight

Hand on the Torch - Us3 (great album and shows what rap/hip hop can do when legitimately let loose on Blue Note's archive!)

Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen (love State Trooper)

BigBernardBresslaw would recommend this too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi4ZShFSDlo which was my wife and I's first dance at our wedding.

I've heard 'Nebraska' is the best Springsteen album, did see it once at a car boot nice and cheap, but hesiatated for too long.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Beatles - Rubber Soul

Rubber_Soul.jpg

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
thescarletpronster said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Temptation - New Order 7"

One of the best singles ever, that.

Agreed. It's quite transcendent. I also admire Barney's knack of delivering banal words and alchemically giving them a profound emotional heft.

this morning: more Stalks of the Paralytic kind, courtesy Of Montreal.

Agreed, tremendous sound as is : Love Song - Simple Minds.

(why, when posting do I keep being asked to verify ?)

AND....

NEW ORDER - BLUE MONDAY :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

C'mon BBB, us Beatles nerds need to know is it stereo or mono???

I have 3 copies, all stereo. The one I was playing was my latest purchase, a 1973 reissue, and something of a bargain, as it played through very nicely, and only cost 50p.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Escape from New York OST - 180g reissue ( silva screen sourced from analogue master tapes )

This is gripping, Carpenters synths line are immense - love this LP

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

C'mon BBB, us Beatles nerds need to know is it stereo or mono???

I have 3 copies, all stereo. The one I was playing was my latest purchase, a 1973 reissue, and something of a bargain, as it played through very nicely, and only cost 50p.

Thanks for the clarification BBB. I'm at peace now.

Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? - Of Montreal

Red House Painters (the one with the rollercoaster on the cover. Is it actually titled Rollercoaster, I dunno)

Kiss Me x3 - The Cure

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

OK, Charlie.

It's called 'Red House Painters', but is known as 'Rollercoaster' because the next album was also called 'Red House Painters'. (I think you probably knew that though). Not a lot of thought going into the album titles, was there?

It's actually my fave album by them, a really beautiful record. Is yours another reissue?

Some more Saturday morning Jazz. Played side 2 of the Coltrane album, then went onto another recent bargain.

Dave Lee - Jazz Improvisatons Of Our Man Crichton (Mono)

R-3036051-1312739414.jpeg.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Now moved on to.

Joe Harriott & John Mayer Double Quintet - Afro Jazz Fusions (Stereo)

joeharriotindojazzfusions.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Goat - World Music (Green Vinyl)

Worth the purchase price for 'Goathead' alone. Storming fuzz-driven Psychedelia of the highest order.

item.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi BBB,

I'm liking your jazz-infused playlist today.

Yes, the RHP is a re-issue. It's my joint fave with Down Colorful Hill. I never kept up with him much after Songs For A Blue Guitar bar the odd Sun Kil Moon album and a smattering of his solo songs here & there. You?

I keep meaning to check out Goats, my local vinyl shop has both (are there more?) of their albums but something else always seems to grab me.

Sounds today:

Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? - Of Montreal

Rubber Soul - The Beatles (mono)

Girls In Peacetime - Belle & Sebastian

Plastic Ono Band/John Lennon

Volume Two - The Soft Machine

Soft Bombs - The Chills

Time Has Come EP - UNKLE

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
I keep meaning to check out Goats, my local vinyl shop has both (are there more?) of their albums but something else always seems to grab me.

Two studio albums and one live.

The live one is Live Ballroom Ritual. I personally think it is better than their studio albums, they are a real treat live, thoroughly recommended.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts