What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 300 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
More music, more music:

Technique - New Order

The Sunlandic Twins - Of Montreal

'More music, more music' Is that a cop from 'Who Sell Out', Charlie? Or just coincidence?

Glad you're having a good break.

Yep, well spotted BBB. The Who and Pete's lyrics are hard-wired into my psyche it seems.

Thanks, yes I'm having a good holiday.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

Us3 - Canataloop 45 rpm

Tommy Smith - Standards

A little touch of Schmilsson in the night

Jeff Beck - live at Ronnie Scotts

Clapton - August

All just washed, with 20 others, all soon to be listened at.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Completely knackered from work, so opened a bottle of Albarino Rias Baixas (which is a great white wine from Aldi), and put on a couple of albums.

The Zombies - Time Of The Zombies

Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Completely knackered from work, so opened a bottle of Albarino Rias Baixas (which is a great white wine from Aldi), and put on a couple of albums.

The Zombies - Time Of The Zombies

Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps

and then....

Neil Young - Harvest

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Wouldn't mind a couple of drinks myself, in the mood. Unfortunately, on earlies this week - up at 5am *sad*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Wouldn't mind a couple of drinks myself, in the mood. Unfortunately, on earlies this week - up at 5am *sad*

I'm up at 6.30 most mornings, but that doesn't stop me enjoying a glass or two.

I've heard good things about wines from Aldi, but I've never had a really good one before, this is pretty damn good though, and just £5.99.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I've heard good things about wines from Aldi, but I've never had a really good one before, this is pretty damn good though, and just £5.99.

I'm more of a Chateux De Frosty Jack sort *yes3*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I wouldn't even clean my drains with that. *biggrin*

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I wouldn't even clean my drains with that. *biggrin*

*biggrin* Trouble is, a bottle of wouldn't touch the sides. I need gas to slow me down *biggrin*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

If you're talking cider, then try either Broadoak's Bristol Port or Moles Black Rat, absolutely gorgeous.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand *biggrin*

Anyway, just sat down to have a listen to...

Camel - Breathless

Crosby Stills & Nash - CSN (truly sumptuous vocalists)

Peter Gabriel - 3(Melt)

Steve Hackett - Please Don't Touch (interesting to note that Richie Havens and Randy Crawford sing on this)

And following a prompt....

The Who - Sell Out

And now...

Marillion - Script For A Jesters Tear

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
If you're talking cider, then try either Broadoak's Bristol Port or Moles Black Rat, absolutely gorgeous.

Moles Black Rat, sounds dangerous *crazy* I've seen that somewhere...

I'm a cider man, but I don't go near most of what is loosely described as cider these days. I prefer still to fizzy, and fresh pressed juice, to ciders made from concentrate. I despair at the popularity of sh*t like Magners etc. etc.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I'm a cider man, but I don't go near most of what is loosely described as cider these days. I prefer still to fizzy, and fresh pressed juice, to ciders made from concentrate. I despair at the popularity of sh*t like Magners etc. etc.

I stopped at a cider farm on the way home from holiday one year (Somerset - where else!) and bought a gallon of scrumpy. Flat with something going on inside *biggrin* A bit like vinegar, but quite 'moreish'

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I stopped at a cider farm on the way home from holiday one year (Somerset - where else!) and bought a gallon of scrumpy. Flat with something going on inside *biggrin* A bit like vinegar, but quite 'moreish'

Black Rat and Bristol Port are the nectar of the gods, not something to put on your chips. *biggrin*

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Can't comment on the cider as don't touch the stuff, although have had some nice ales recently. Spinning tonight

Nadine Shah - Fast Food (great album and a highlight both at Glastonbury and Latitude)

Sigur Ros - Kveikur

whilst starting on the new Murakami (a Japanese author, not whisky)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
So much off-task and cider-soaked meandering recently; you wouldn't catch Charlie and me wandering off the beaten track. Heaven forfend. Andrew Hill: 'Lift Every Voice'. Jazz with voices is prone to cheesiness, but this is Andrew Hill. Passionate tenor soloing from Carlos Garnett, beautiful voices and the cerebral and angular Hill. The Pretty Things: 'S F Sorrow'. Mono/Stereo. I played them back to back because I was reading a Steve Hoffman thread re this record; I hate to follow the herd but, in this case, the stereo is indeed a better listen than the mono. Unusual really; normally it's mono every time but the stereo S F Sorrow is alive and awash with colour and vitality whereas the mono is a rather flat, black and white affair. Most odd. Great record either way. The Pretty Things: 'Emotions'. The Pretty Things: 'Singles A and B's'. Includes the wonderful 'Defecting Grey'. Lisening to that under the covers on Radio Caroline blew my mind, baby. Still does. Procol Harum: 'A Salty Dog'. The dog's. The Fifth Dimension: 'The Magic Garden' and 'Stoned Soul Picnic'. Impossibly cheery and buoyant. The Association: 'Greatest Hits'. As above. Nice. John Coltrane: 'Coltrane Jazz'. Much better in mono. Miles Davis: 'Milestones'. As above. Miles Davis: 'Kind Of Blue'. As above.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Quite right Jim, what are they all on about. I thought this was a vinyl thread.

Currently:

Skeletal Lamping - Of Montreal

False Priest - Of Montreal

Oh, Inverted World - The Shins

Nothing Can Stop Us - Robert Wyatt

King Kong - Jean-Luc Ponty

Jim, you've got an impressive set of Pretty Things records there. And yes, Jazz in mono, always.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie and Jim (It's like an episode of Bergerac)

For your information, it's been proven that a good cask cider at around 7% improves the SQ of vinyl considerabbbbbbbbbbllllyyyyyy. *biggrin*

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Andrew Hill: 'Lift Every Voice'. Jazz with voices is prone to cheesiness, but this is Andrew Hill. Passionate tenor soloing from Carlos Garnett, beautiful voices and the cerebral and angular Hill.

Hey Jim, I've been looking out for records by Andrew Hill since hearing an episode of Radio 3's Jazz Library dedicated to him a few years ago. Are there any albums you'd particularly recommend?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Jim-W said:
Andrew Hill: 'Lift Every Voice'. Jazz with voices is prone to cheesiness, but this is Andrew Hill. Passionate tenor soloing from Carlos Garnett, beautiful voices and the cerebral and angular Hill.

Hey Jim, I've been looking out for records by Andrew Hill since hearing an episode of Radio 3's Jazz Library dedicated to him a few years ago. Are there any albums you'd particularly recommend?

Hi. Yes there are a few; these are my favourites:

'Black Fire'

'Judgement'

'Andrew!!!'

'Lift Every Voice'

'Point Of Departure'

Any Blue Note record with Andrew Hill is worth having, even if he is just part of the band. Always interesting.

Hope this helps, although it's only a personal opinion of course.

Regards.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, Charlie, I could have just left it like that and maintained the illusion that they were all first pressings on Blue/Black Columbia, but, alas, this is not the case. The only original I have is a copy of the first lp. The mono 'SF Sorrow' is a Snapper reissue, albeit a very nice one; the stereo 'SF Sorrow' is part of a twofer on the Rare Earth label which also features the wonderful 'Parachute' lp. 'Emotions' is a Dutch 1970's reissue. Along with 'Dusk Fire' and 'Shades Of Blue' by Ian Carr/Don Rendell, original Pretty Things records sit atop my wanted list...not that I make lists!! As each of these goes for oh £400-£1,000+, I might just settle for reissues and cds. That's the problem with collecting records: once you've got quite a few, the only ones left that you really want are very expensive because they are very rare and usually, if they're British, in Japan! Would I pay that much? Of course I would!!!!! I'd just starve for a month...no problem!

Regards.

TRENDING THREADS