What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 298 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
not posted for a long while - a few domestic situations lol

well just put a Nagaoka MP500 on my TT - WOW!!!

Spinning:

Marillion - Script of a Jesters Tear

Lost Boys - OST

The Smiths - Strangeways here we Come

Dire Straits - Communique

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

crikey these 2014 Straits re-issues are stunning - if you like that sort of thing of course !

stevebrock said:

Spinning:

Lost Boys - OST

crikey these 2014 Straits re-issues are stunning - if you like that sort of thing of course !

They are very good aren't they. I have just got Fleetwood Mac Rumours reissue and it is quite remarkably better than my original pressing.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
stevebrock said:

Spinning:

Lost Boys - OST

They are very good aren't they. I have just got Fleetwood Mac Rumours reissue and it is quite remarkably better than my original pressing.

Rumours 45rpm double album is superb.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
It's my birthday! Been having an extended listening session *drinks*

Alice Coltrane - Journey In Satchidananda

Santana - Abraxas

Lee Morgan - Cornbread

The Orb - Moonbuilding 2703AD

Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey

Blur - Leisure

Autopsy - The Headless Ritual

Laetitia Sadier - Something Shines

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
What's with all this knocking of Dire Straits? I happen to think that Knopfler is a pretty good guitarist. I recently listened to 'Love Over Gold', an album I'd overlooked. I have to say I thought 'Telegraph Road' was rather fab. His touch and phrasing really impressed me, especially on the quiet passages. I guess if a band is popular, they're there to be bashed.

Seakiwi

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Children of Sanchez - Chuck Mangione

Have owned this double album for 30 years, haven't palyed it for probably the last 10 years, getting back into it with my new Kef R700's and rediscovering stunning sounds completely anew. Same TT and Amp I have had since the arly 90's but these speakers are just staggering!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi BBB & Jim,

Sorry for my late replies and lack of posts in general.

BBB, I still haven't got round to buying the Squarepusher LP. It keeps getting knocked off my list by other purchases/crazes/listening trends (see below). I'm still enthralled by the mighty, strange allure & power of the two Hovercraft albums I now own.

Jim, those mono Beatles LPs are indeed a splendid thing and your potrayal of a certain listener was pin-point accurate. Your eye sight and/or powers of perception work well as they gaze up the M1 from your Nottinghamshire abode.

Work-wise: yes, I'm counting down to the big hols and reflecting on a tricky year. The usual battleground - how to justify creative arts teaching in an increasingly assessment driven system - has seen me manning the ramparts with my colleague, but to little or no avail. Our new Head has started to truly wear the clothes of a petrified Ofsted-fearing technocrat. I'd love to leave and set up my own theatre school. . . and all those other hippie dreams of yesteryear!

Music:

Day Of The Dog - Ezra Furman

Perpetual Motion People - Ezra Furman

Adventures in Your Own Backyard - Patrick Watson

Bomb Shelter Sessions - Vintage Trouble

My Generation (mono) - The Who

Electric Arguments - The Firemen

Gwo Ka - Music of Guadelope/West Indies (Soul Jazz comp)

John Wizards Debut LP

I Love You Honeybear - Father John Misty

Sailing The Seas Of Cheese - Primus

Greatest Hits - Fleetwood Mac (1970 version)

Fresh Fish Special - Robert Gordon & Link Wray

The Natural Soul - Lou Donaldson

Dusty In Memphis

Jacknife - Jackie McLean

Theo Parrish's Black Jazz Signature

The Epic - Kemasi Washington

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Another glorious mix of records there, Charlie. Glad you're enjoying the Hovercraft albums.

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Joan Sutherland - Operatic Arias

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

TangerineDream - Phaedra

Eyeless In Gaza - Drumming The Beating Heart

Man - Be Good To Yourself At Least Once A Day

Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell

Supertramp - Supertramp

Brahms - Variations on a theme of Haydn

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The Byrds: 'Preflyte' 3 lp box. Floating World Records. Lovely sound quality and jingly jangly Rickenbacker heaven.

Mike Cooper: 'Trout Steel' Quirky and all the better for it. Fearturing Mike Osborne's quirky alto. The songs are wonderfully...er...quirky.

The Wailers: 'Burnin'

Throwing Muses: 'Hunkpapa' There are those who say, 'Oh the production this and not as good as that' but it still sounds like genius to me. Beautiful and bonkers.

Duster Bennett: '12db's.' Man, I love Duster...he's rather quirky though.

Procol Harum: 'Procol Harum.' Mono.

Ralph Towner:' Batik' Read a review that described this as 'astonishingly beautiful' and it is. When Eddie' Gomez's bass rubs up and throbs and pulses against Ralph's airy 12 string ooooh, but it's heavenly.

Bill Evans: 'Everybody Digs Bill Evans.' Riverside Mono.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
If you ever get the theatre school thing up and running I'd gladly bust ot of retirement...just a thought. I used to dream of stuff like that too but my most common fantasy was that it was almost 3 o'clock and that boring meeting had been cancelled. I'm sure you can relate to that!

Nice selection of records as always.

Love 'Dusty In Memphis.'

What do you think of Jackie McLean? I've got quite a few of his records and I'm still not sure about his tone which often sounds sharp to me...mind you Charlie Parker often played a bit sharp too so he's in the best possible company. I think he's a great emotional player though.

'My Generation' is brilliant in mono...thuggish and brutal like The Move's first lp in mono. Bring back mono!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

I completely agree with your "thuggish and brutal" description of My Generation in mono. I took my copy around to my friend's house the other night - he knows the LP well - but he was taken aback by the sheer force and presentation on vinyl & in mono.

I can hear what you mean about Jackie McClean. There are shards of sharpness, as it were, but the payoff is that intense hit of "meaning".

My theatre school dreams are slowly inching forwards. We are actively looking at venues and locations for it. My colleague has acting for TV & film agency connections & I'm calling in some favours from regional and national theatre contacts I've made down the years. The actual, vague-ish plan is to launch a small scale, trial project in Spring 2016. Our plan is to offer 11-19 year olds training and workshops across the different acting styles for stage and screen. My bit, the theatre aspect, will aim to train up a biggish group and enter NT Connections and National Student Drama Festival programmes in 2017 onwards.

If you'd like to do a guest slot or sessions, let me know.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Charlie. When I read your post I went scurrying to 'Of Mice And Men' for a half-remembered quote! I thought the theatre school idea was just a dream but it seems to be almost a reality. Blimey! " They fell into a silence. They looked at one another amazed. This [/b]thing they had never really believed in was coming true. George said reverently, "Jesus Christ! I bet we could swing her." His eyes were full of wonder. " I bet we could swing her." he repeated softly." It sounds rather grand; perhaps I could make the tea!! Seriously though, I'm not sure that I have enough expertise for this kind of venture. I'd love to know more as and when. I really hope it works out for you...it'd be fantastic and fulfilling work that's for sure. Best wishes.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

A most apposite quote.

I hope the realisation of my theatre school dream has a better denouement than Steinbeck's George and Lenny, though!

I'll certainly keep you posted. Advance apologies to other forum-ites for the non-vinyl content of this sub-section of the main thread.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Advance apologies to other forum-ites for the non-vinyl content of this sub-section of the main thread.

No, keep going, Charlie and Jim - it's far more interesting than anything I ever post!

And good luck with the theatre school dream/reality, Charlie.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Hi Sir Scarlet,

We're still at the non-advanced stage of planning our embryonic theatre school but it's still very much on the cards. I'm meeting my would be co-founder tomorrow night for beers and plans. Admittedly, the former will prevail leading to the hatching. of even more outlandish versions of the latter.

Just being nosey, is this embryonic theatre school based around drama or to include musical theatre.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Hi Sir Scarlet,

We're still at the non-advanced stage of planning our embryonic theatre school but it's still very much on the cards. I'm meeting my would be co-founder tomorrow night for beers and plans. Admittedly, the former will prevail leading to the hatching. of even more outlandish versions of the latter.

Just being nosey, is this embryonic theatre school based around drama or to include musical theatre.

Hi LA,

It's going to include some musical theatre too. I've written a couple of youth theatre musicals, so I'm shamelessly going to be using bits of those in workshops alongside better known older and modern dramas across the genres.

My view, as with music, is if a script is of some note or worth from just about any angle I'll use it if it furthers a performer's skills or understanding.

Some call it eclectic, others might say undiscerning. I don't mind. All for the greater good.

Only connect!!!!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Sir Scarlet,

Music:

Perpetual Motion People

Day Of The Dog

Both Ezra Furman. I love this guy. He's got it - whatever that is exactly - in spades.

Okay, I'll hang it on a potent and alluring mix of: rant, poetics, left-leaning, Lennon-Bowie-Reed-Dylan-Byrne-doo-wop, pop-punk rawness occasionally polished up into something on the verge of mainstream. That probably doesn't make much sense to anyone else, but there you have it. Oh, and it's got Jonathan Richman in there too.

Whiplash - OST

Highway 61 Revisited - Bob

Adventures In Your Own Backyard - Patrick Watson

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Best of luck with all that Charlie, my son did 3 years at Musical theatre school so I like a good musical.
Anyway it looks like it might rain here all day so I might play some LPs after lunch, which will be a rare occurence for me in the summer.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Best of luck with all that Charlie, my son did 3 years at Musical theatre school so I like a good musical.Anyway it looks like it might rain here all day so I might play some LPs after lunch, which will be a rare occurence for me in the summer.

Thanks LA, I'm looking forward to the challenges/opportunities ahead.

The current issue is finding a decent rehearsal venue and working out the funding arrangements. I'm hardly the entrepreneurial type, so it could be fun!!!

Hope you had fun playing some vinyl this afternoon, I've just returned from an increasingly wettened Yorkshire Sculpture Park prior to a high intensity network meeting with my colleague in York. Also known as a barrel of beer & a curry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts