What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 296 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I've got several albums without covers somewhere, will have a little look through as I think there may be something by Culture in there.

I was wrong, there's a couple of good ska/reggae comps, a couple of Big Youth albums, and a couple of Prince Far I albums too. One day I'll get around to playing them.

DaanS

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Latest finds:
Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds
Streisand's Broadway album
Deep Purple's Machine Head

I found these at a fleamarket in near excellent condition for 1-2 euro each. Even beat someone to the punch in the dash for Machine Head (which I didn't even know I was in untill the seller pointed me at a very disappointed lad standing next to me). Also got some Queen, Led Zeppelin and Bowie albums for my birthday last week. Bowie's Lodger is weird, yet briliant. Such a fantastic artist and there's quite a few albums I'v never listened to. Taking my time there.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Brakes - Give Blood

Brakes - The Beatific Visions

It's 10 years since Give Blood came out and to celebrate the Brighton supergroup are getting together to perform it in it's entirety. Should be a good gig in a few weeks, were always a great live band.

Paul Weller - Saturns Pattern

Blur - The Magic Whip

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

R-1704477-1238096432.jpeg.jpg

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Michael Jackson - Dangerous (LP DR is like chalk and cheese compared to CD) sounds astonishing in comparison

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

No Jim W, Charlie Jefferson, or Freddy for over 2 weeks now, and Steve Brock hasn't been here for well over a month either.

imprtance_of_free_online_dating_profile.jpg

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Tonight I have been mostly listening to

Cocteau Twins - Treasure

Tame Impala - Lonerism

Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space

Stereolab - Mars Audiac Quintet

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi BBB,

Thanks for the Hovercraft top off- £2 inc free postage. Great spot!!!

It's been a long time since I posted. Lots of life got in the way but still listening to a good dosage of vinyl, I just didn't seem to have time to post. Anyway, recent things a-spinning on my ageing Roksan (time for a serious upgrade methinks!!!):

Mostly Beatles in mono:

A Hard Day's Night

Help

Rubber Soul

Sgt. Pepper

(the first three spotted in a cheap-o, "unplayable bin" for 50p each. Cleaned several times and whilst far from perfect they are highly playable. All very early pressings, they sound fantastic. Even flukier, my Sgt. Pepper is a collector's gem, it's the one without A Day In The Life listed on the centre piece of the record. Excellent condition mono copy for £25)

"The White Album"

Magical Mystery Tour

Past Masters

(All from last year's mono vinyl box. Hey Bulldog and It's All Too Much in mono are a revelation. As are Paperback Writer, Day Tripper, We Can Work It Out & Rain).

Other plays:

I Love You Honeybear - Father John Misty

The Waterfall - MMJ

Then Play On - Fleetwood Mac

Greatest Hits (1971) - Fleetwood Mac

Whoops, I'm An indian - Hal Willner

The Epic - Kemasi Washington

(this last entry is online only at the moment. Jim, BBB or any jazz, jazz-curious fans this is a MUST listen. I came across him through a phase of Brainfeed label listens - Thundercat & Flying Lotus - but this guy is one step beyond (!) those two. Unalloyed, non-hip/hop aligned straight ahead jazz with a hefty nod to Coltrane. Well, the slender slice of Coltrane I'm familiar with. Kemasi sounds like the real deal to my hairy, near-to-retirement-in-my-dream-ears. It's also three hours long).

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Hi BBB,

Thanks for the Hovercraft top off- £2 inc free postage. Great spot!!!

My pleasure Charlie. I just hope the record is in decent condition, as it was only described as VG.

I bought a couple of albums from them today. Lonelady - Nerve Up for £5.99 delivered, and Dave 'Baby' Cortez - Soul Vibration for £5.99 delivered.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
The Epic - Kemasi Washington

(this last entry is online only at the moment. Jim, BBB or any jazz, jazz-curious fans this is a MUST listen. I came across him through a phase of Brainfeed label listens - Thundercat & Flying Lotus - but this guy is one step beyond (!) those two. Unalloyed, non-hip/hop aligned straight ahead jazz with a hefty nod to Coltrane. Well, the slender slice of Coltrane I'm familiar with. Kemasi sounds like the real deal to my hairy, near-to-retirement-in-my-dream-ears. It's also three hours long).

I'm not sure I could take 3 hours of sax lead Jazz, but I will try to find time to listen to a bit of it soon.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I had a bit of a vinyl sesson last weekend, but I've forgotten quite a lot of what I played. Let's think.....

Squarepusher - Damogen Furies (My new favourite electronic artist)

The Cramps - A Date With Elvis

Lush - Scar

Little Richard - Rock Hard, Rock Heavy

Glen Campbell - The Glen Campbell Album

Parliament - Uncut Funk: The Bomb - The Best Of Parliament

Riuichi Sakamoto - B-2 Unit

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I had a bit of a vinyl sesson last weekend, but I've forgotten quite a lot of what I played. Let's think.....

Lush - Scar

Hi BBB,

I love that Squarepusher album, form what I've heard of it, not got a vinyl copy though.

Thanks again for teh Hovercraft tip off - what an album. It has the edhe of Experiment Below, for me. Condition excellent too: sleeve was very good and the vinyl near mint.

My extrememly sporadic and intermittent posting is going to continue awhile longer. We're having more work done on our house - a re-wire and floors being laid & much more - so the router and much else is out of action on and off for several weeks. Luckily, the vinyl listening room is unaffected!!!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hi Charlie

Squarepusher is definitely pushing the boundaries of electronic music. I like the new one, but love 'Ufabulum', the album before.

Glad the Hovercraft deal worked out, it is rather corking.

Keep playing the records. *yahoo*

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Glad to see that's not the case...

Tonight...

Jimmy McGriff - Electric Funk

Sundial - Libertine

Mastodon - Crack The Skye

Mogwai - Les Revenants

*music2*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I think the whole forum is struggling, but I'd hate to see this thread peter out.

Would be nice to see Jim on here again, he's not been on for a good while.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Lush - Scar

Hi BBB,

I love that Squarepusher album, form what I've heard of it, not got a vinyl copy though.

My local HMV had the vinyl for around £17, and the pressing is great, though I'm sure you'd be able to get it in any of the shops in Leeds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts