What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 295 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

A Saucerful Of Secrets followed by the live record from Ummagumma.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
A Saucerful Of Secrets followed by the live record from Ummagumma.

Is it an original 'Saucerful', BBB? If so, mono or stereo? If not, still a good listen.

No, it's a Fame reissue. Condition is very goodthough, and definitely worth the £2 I paid for it.

By the way, I've had a good day buying today. *biggrin*

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Gotta love Lee & Nancy.

I heard "Some Velvet Morning" on the radio years ago. I had no idea what they were singing about but I liked it. Just found out I share a birthday with Lee, too.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Waxy said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Gotta love Lee & Nancy.

I heard "Some Velvet Morning" on the radio years ago. I had no idea what they were singing about but I liked it. Just found out I share a birthday with Lee, too.

A mate turned me on to them, I think 'Some Velvet Morning' was probably the first track I heard too.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Technicians Of The Sacred.

Some lovely bass oozing out of my CM9s. Seems like a nice couple of slabs of plastic so far.

*drinks*

Next up, Banco Da Gaia - Maya (3LP)

An old party favourite from my uni days. Vinyl sounding as good as the day I bought it 20 years ago.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Blimey, Ozric Tentacles. They were tape-only when I remember them. Think they were somehow connected with Reckless Records, because they were always being advertised in the shop. Don't think I ever actually heard them.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Blimey, Ozric Tentacles. They were tape-only when I remember them. Think they were somehow connected with Reckless Records, because they were always being advertised in the shop. Don't think I ever actually heard them.

They be from Zummerzet, originally. Probably the band I have seen live the most number of times. They used to be a fixture at Glastonbury too. Most would likely class them as Space Rock, I suppose.

If you feel like listening to them, try the following, their first 3 LPs.

Pungent Effulgent

Erpland

Strangeitude

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
I actually saw the Wurzels a couple of years ago, great fun, and not to be missed *i-m_so_happy*

...has got to be their cover of the Gina G hit single..."Ooh Arr, Just A Little Bit" from their Covers Album "Never Mind The Bullocks..."

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I saw the Wurzles a few years ago, they were supporting British Sea Power and had realed a joint single with BSP covering Cider Drinker and Wurzles covering Remember Me. Watched the Wurzles standing next to a couple of BSP who had come out into the audience to watch. A great shambolic encore by both bands.

over the weekend listened to the following

TV On The Radio - Seeds

Belly - Star

The Flaming Lips - Tge Terror

Volcano Choir - Volcano Choir

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Diiv - Oshin

Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence

Steve Mason - Monkey Minds In The Devil's Time

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
I actually saw the Wurzels a couple of years ago, great fun, and not to be missed

I saw them too a few years ago at Boomtown Fair festival. It was ok, but I sensed the band weren't comfortable with their audience.

For fans of Ska and Reggae, Boomtown is a great festival, and highly recommended.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
For fans of Ska and Reggae, Boomtown is a great festival, and highly recommended.

I considered going a few years ago, but at those prices - forget it.

First time playing records for a while:

OOIOO – Gamel
Andy Sheppard – Andy Sheppard
Tom Waits – Bone Machine
Dengue Fever – The Deepest Lake
Hawkwind – Quark, Strangeness & Charm
The Congos – Heart of the Congos

Time to think about supper and watch today's stage of the Giro d'Italia!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I considered going a few years ago, but at those prices - forget it.

We went about 4 years ago, and I can't remember how much we paid, but it was less than the prices now. It was in the grounds of Stowe School when I went, but the school didn't have them back again, and I'm not surprised, there's some sick puppies that go that festival. *wacko*

I just looked at the list of bands, and there's nothing at all to get excited about. It does seem like they have a lot of the same bands on all the time. We were lucky, Toots & The Maytals headlined the last night, and they were truly awesome.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yuh, I think I missed the boat there. There's also another reggae/dub-oriented festival in, I think, Devon. Must get in touch with my reggae-obsessed friend, who's been, to find out about it.

Enjoying the Congos. By the way, I just found out that there's a CD out on Monday containing the three Culture LPs released on Front Line, plus a fourth which was never released. Thought you might be interested, even though it's not vinyl. I've ordered a copy from my local record shop.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Yuh, I think I missed the boat there. There's also another reggae/dub-oriented festival in, I think, Devon. Must get in touch with my reggae-obsessed friend, who's been, to find out about it.

Enjoying the Congos. By the way, I just found out that there's a CD out on Monday containing the three Culture LPs released on Front Line, plus a fourth which was never released. Thought you might be interested, even though it's not vinyl. I've ordered a copy from my local record shop.

I'm not a Reggae aficianado, so I'll be honest, I've never heard Culture, atleast, I don't think so. I've got several albums without covers somewhere, will have a little look through as I think there may be something by Culture in there.

By the way, you'd have to go a long way to hear a better record than that Congos album. Sublime.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Currently playing Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works '85-'92. I did buy the reissued vinyl, but it was an awful pressing, so I've stuck with my CD. Sorry for blaspheming.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts