What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 297 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

After seeing The Who last night, I fancied playing this as soon as I got home.

61Ab-td5fbL.jpg

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Been busy demolishing/refitting a kitchen for the past couple of months, so not time for any proper relaxation. Did though manage to spin a couple....

The Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance

The Roches - Keep On Doing

Dire Straits - Love Over Gold

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Larkin Poe – Kin
David Sylvian & Holger Czukay – Plight & Premonition
Hawkwind – Hall of the Mountain Grill
Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Sit and Think ... and Sometimes I Just Sit
Jónsí – Go

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
latest

I was lucky enough to see them play live when they toured a few years ago. Possibly the finest exponents of British thrash metal at the time in 1989, it is a concept album based on a book by Brian Bates (The Way Of Wyrd) about an Anglo-Saxon sorcerer. Worth a read if you get the chance.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
...You know how it is...oh you don't? Well lucky you!

Some recent turntable faves, pop pickers:

Dexter Gordon: 'Gettin'Around' Languid, muscular, tough and tender Dex. An original Blue Note copy of this went for £7,000 a few weeks ago. Ridiculous money; great record.

Chick Corea: 'Piano Improvisations Vol 1.' God, I love this record.

The Byrds: 'The Notorious Byrd Brothers.'

Matthews Southern Comfort: 'Second Spring.' Unerringly lovely.

'The Thelonious Monk Orchestra At Town Hall.'

The Peanut Butter Conspiracy: 'The Great Conspiracy.' Overlooked U S 60's West-Coast freaky loveliness, but not overlooked by me. Thoroughly recommended...if you're a bit of a hippy.

Throwing Muses: 'Hunkpapa.'

The Rolling Stones: 'Beggar's Banquet.' Mono.

Judee Sill: 'Judee Sill.' Only got a copy recently. I've played it to death.

The Church: 'priest=aura'. One of my very favourite favourites. Sublime. Hazy. Damaged. Unwholesome = Perfect. Oooppps.

'That's all for now, folks'...and remember Jim loves you all.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
We love you too, Jim. *biggrin*

Great to have you back.

[/quote

It was your anxiety over the lack of activity that prompted a return, BBB. You truly are the keeper of the vinyl flame; when others have lost their initial sheen and just-pressed lustre and when they become somewhat warped and damaged, you stand erect and precious amongst the ruins.

You'll probably love me even more now!

Hello Charlie...great Beatles mono list the other day; I loved the way that you found the monos to be a revelatory experience; I had an image of a bloke, maybe a beer in one hand, listening intently and smiling at the awe and wonder of it all. Who can listen to 'She's Leaving Home' in stereo without wincing? What on earth were they thinking of? It's mono every time for me, old boy. School nearly finished too...happy days!!! All the best.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Happy Mondays-Bummed

Been after this for a while, so very pleased to pick it up this morning at a car boot.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
I'd be wary about telling people how you just got Bummed at a car boot sale, though...

*biggrin*

And I paid £3 for it too.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Waxy said:
Goat - World Music

Love this album.

You must listen to it,

or else.

I wanted to reply, but I was bidding on a copy of the newest album 'Commune', so I didn't want to encourage anyone to possibly bid against me. Anyway, I won the auction. *acute*

I saw them on BBCs Glastonbury coverage, and thought they were right up my street musically. Will look for a reasonably priced copy of 'World Music' next.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
It was your anxiety over the lack of activity that prompted a return, BBB. You truly are the keeper of the vinyl flame; when others have lost their initial sheen and just-pressed lustre and when they become somewhat warped and damaged, you stand erect and precious amongst the ruins.

You'll probably love me even more now!

I couldn't love you anymore, Jim, that would be an impossibility. *biggrin*

I can't take any credit for keeping the vinyl flame going, as I've abandoned it on occasions. I was worried Charlie had abandoned the forum entirely, so I emailed him directly, and I must admit, this time I thought you might have fallen off your bike, so it's genuinely good to see you on here again. *good*

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
David Sylvian & Holger Czukay – Plight & Premonition
Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Yanqui U.X.O.
disappointingly, both these 'NM' copies have noisy marks on them. Oh ebay, I despair in you.

Also trying a few of my mother's old folky records:
Alex Atterson – Roundabout
The Battlefield Band – On The Front
Brass Monkey – Brass Monkey

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts