What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 355 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

@ Jim, or whoever else knows

Do you know anything about Chris Bell (you & your sister / I am the cosmos)? I have the This Mortal Coil album 'Blood', and always liked those 2 tracks, but wondered what the original tracks were like, and if it's worth trying to source his one and only album?

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Do you know anything about Chris Bell (you & your sister / I am the cosmos)? I have the This Mortal Coil album 'Blood', and always liked those 2 tracks, but wondered what the original tracks were like, and if it's worth trying to source his one and only album?

'I Am The Cosmos' is a great record; I think the cd has the usual bonus tracks. It is, however somewhat patchy and I think it was recorded at a 'difficult' time in his very short life. Much of it sounds like a man under pressure, but there's some lovely songs and great guitars; the best songs are perhaps the ones you've already heard.

In my opinion, the first Big Star album, which features Chris Bell and Alex Chilton is a better record to seek out first; it's very power-poppy and features heavenly guitars and vocal harmonies...great songs too. Bell contributed a couple of songs to the second highly-recommended Big Star album, 'Radio City' but received no credits; it's another fantastic record.

Don't get me wrong, 'I Am The Cosmos' is a lovely record and you should hear it, but, for me, his work with Big Star is wonderful; others disagree and argue, 'I Am The Cosmos' is a great lost record of genius...which it is, but only 50/60% of it.

Hope that helps. by the way, the third Big Star album, 'Sister/lovers' really is a deranged and damaged classic and is highly recommended. Check the track, 'holocaust'.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

'I Am The Cosmos' is a great record; I think the cd has the usual bonus tracks. It is, however somewhat patchy and I think it was recorded at a 'difficult' time in his very short life. Much of it sounds like a man under pressure, but there's some lovely songs and great guitars; the best songs are perhaps the ones you've already heard.

In my opinion, the first Big Star album, which features Chris Bell and Alex Chilton is a better record to seek out first; it's very power-poppy and features heavenly guitars and vocal harmonies...great songs too. Bell contributed a couple of songs to the second highly-recommended Big Star album, 'Radio City' but received no credits; it's another fantastic record.

Don't get me wrong, 'I Am The Cosmos' is a lovely record and you should hear it, but, for me, his work with Big Star is wonderful; others disagree and argue, 'I Am The Cosmos' is a great lost record of genius...which it is, but only 50/60% of it.

Hope that helps. by the way, the third Big Star album, 'Sister/lovers' really is a deranged and damaged classic and is highly recommended. Check the track, 'holocaust'.

I played Chris Bell's versions of the two tracks I mentioned, and I'll be honest, I preferred This Mortal Coil's versions. I should have known, but didn't know that Chris Bell was in Big Star. A couple of my old flatmates in London liked Big Star, but I'll admit that I never really got it; I must revisit them sometime.

I'm guessing Ivo Watts-Russell is quite a fan of Big Star/Chilton/Bell, with two tracks on the first TMC album, and two on the third, Including 'Holocaust', which of course, you knew. *smile*

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Mott the Hoople - Mott the Hoople (the one with the M C Escher drawing on the cover)

Laurie Anderson - Big Science

Roxy Music - Roxy Music

Caravan - Caravan (on Verve label)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
East Of Eden: 'Mercator Projected'.

East Of Eden: 'Snafu'.

Jazzy, 'progessive' late 60's/early 70's strangeness; call it what you want, these boys had tunes and could play. Highly underrated and much better than King Crimson in the instrumental passage stakes...imo of course.

Never heard of them, but sounds interesting. I don't think Freddy will agree though.

FWIW, to me the two bands are some distance apart, although I can see why a comparison (in part) might be made. Mercator Projected sounds rather dated now to my ears, Snafu less so.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
bobmarley-500x500.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Thanks for the concern BBB & Jim

I know you're getting on with that thing called life, Charlie, but I'm sure I speak for Jim as well, we'd like to hear from you.

You have my email address if you need it.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

I know you're getting on with that thing called life, Charlie, but I'm sure I speak for Jim as well, we'd like to hear from you.

+1

Yes, I miss Charlie too, although I think that goes without saying.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

+1

Yes, I miss Charlie too, although I think that goes without saying.

I know, Jim.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I found the full Africa/Brass album on the net, and played a couple of minutes of that track you recommended. It's a bit late at night to play the whole thing at full blast, so I'll play it again in full tomorrow, and at a proper volume.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Jim_W said:

Funnily enough, Big Star (of whom I'd never heard before Jim's post) are the subject of today's featured article in Wikipedia.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Jim_W said:

Funnily enough, Big Star (of whom I'd never heard before Jim's post) are the subject of today's featured article in Wikipedia.

Nice one...interesting. Whilst I'm here, thinking of Big Star and Alex Chilton, The Replacements song, 'Alex Chilton' is a moving tribute to his genius. From 'Pleased To Meet Me' which is consistently excellent.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

So who on here as heard of/likes 65daysofstatic?

I'd heard the name banded around a bit, and thought I'd give them a listen, starting with their first album 'The Fall Of Math'.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
East Of Eden: 'Mercator Projected'.

East Of Eden: 'Snafu'.

Jazzy, 'progessive' late 60's/early 70's strangeness; call it what you want, these boys had tunes and could play. Highly underrated and much better than King Crimson in the instrumental passage stakes...imo of course.

Never heard of them, but sounds interesting. I don't think Freddy will agree though.

FWIW, to me the two bands are some distance apart, although I can see why a comparison (in part) might be made. Mercator Projected sounds rather dated now to my ears, Snafu less so.

Oh, meant to say, Mercator Projected was and still is, an album I like to listen to.*smile*

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the heads-up re Coltrane Africa/Brass, been streaming it and it is a lovely piece of music, interesting to see where it fits in with his other work. Pay day tomorrow so will be ordering a copy!

Update - purchased!

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Test driving my brand new Nag MP200 with:

Doug Sahm - Juke Box Music

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - At Least We Got Shoes

John Coltrane - Coltrane

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
So who on here as heard of/likes 65daysofstatic?with their first album 'The Fall Of Math'.

I heard them a few years ago when this video was posted. They made a fairly enjoyable noise, but it's similar to lots of other music that I have, and I was more interested in finding different things, so I didn't bother to listen further.

I'll have to try them again now you've mentioned them.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Managed to play a few records today, yippee.

Daughter – The Wild Youth EP 10"
Grimes – Art Angels
Gogo Penguin – V2.0
Gogo Penguin – Man Made Object
Sigur Rós – Takk
Björk – Biophilia

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts