What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 354 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Apropos of absolutely nothing, I've dedicated the next 2 or 3 days to my favourite label, Elektra. So selected and lined up for play are:

The Doors - first album and Strange Days, Love - first album and Da Capo, Clear Light - Black Roses, Earth Opera - first album, Stooges - Fun House, MC5 - Kick Out the Jams, Tim Buckley - Goodbye and Hello, Rhinoceros - first album, Paul Butterfield Blues Band - East-West...

Canguino Purlat

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
6and8 said:
Apropos of absolutely nothing, I've dedicated the next 2 or 3 days to my favourite label, Elektra. So selected and lined up for play are:

The Doors - first album and Strange Days, Love - first album and Da Capo, Clear Light - Black Roses, Earth Opera - first album, Stooges - Fun House, MC5 - Kick Out the Jams, Tim Buckley - Goodbye and Hello, Rhinoceros - first album, Paul Butterfield Blues Band - East-West...

Niiiiiiice taste!

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Mogwai - "Atomic" (2016) 2LP 'Nuclear Sun' orange vinyl. The latest gem from Scotland's finest.

Todd Rundgren, Emil Nikolaisen, Hans-Peter Lindstrøm - "Runddans" (2015) 2EP Hmmmm. Not sure yet. Maybe needs a sat night malt or two to lubrucate my ears !

Dave Grohl & friends - "Sound City Reel To Reel" (2013) 2LP Some excellent tunes & as you would expect, sounds good.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

John Coltrane Quartet - Africa Brass

136597.jpg

I don't usually play albums before they get cleaned these days, but the record looked good, and I was extremely keen to give it a spin. I'm only on track one (of three) at the moment, but it sounds absolutely right up my alley. Wow!

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Van Der Graaf Generator - "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other" (1970)

Nektar - "A Tab In The Ocean" (1972)

Steve Hackett - "Voyage Of The Acolyte" (1975)

Far out !

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

... it sounds absolutely right up my alley. Wow!

Have never heard that, but I reckon it might be right up my Straße as well. Nice find!

I'm impressed with it, and even more impressed that the record shop next door hadn't pocketed it for themselves. I nearly missed that it was John Coltrane myself, actually.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
thescarletpronster said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

... it sounds absolutely right up my alley. Wow!

Have never heard that, but I reckon it might be right up my Straße as well. Nice find!

I'm impressed with it, and even more impressed that the record shop next door hadn't pocketed it for themselves. I nearly missed that it was John Coltrane myself, actually.

Great Coltrane record; if that's your copy in the pic, it's a World Record Club issue. The original was on Impulse! I know very little about World Record Club as a label, but I have a few, including 'Africa/Brass'. The complete sessions which resulted in the lp have been released on cd and are well-worth hearing, especially the brilliant, 'Song Of The Underground Railroad' which I really wish was on the initial release. Spotify'google it...wonderful tune.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Haven't played this right through for years.

Now I remember why this was the breakthrough, award winning Frank Zappa album - "Joe's Garage" (1979) original 3LP box. Also, the vinyl sound excellent. The band is that good it would probably still sound good on any shoddy production.

Absolute genius ! !

P.S. The new Todd Rundgren album "Runddans" does sound better when the ears have been malted !

& it's goodnight from me....,hic

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Great Coltrane record; if that's your copy in the pic, it's a World Record Club issue. The original was on Impulse! I know very little about World Record Club as a label, but I have a few, including 'Africa/Brass'. The complete sessions which resulted in the lp have been released on cd and are well-worth hearing, especially the brilliant, 'Song Of The Underground Railroad' which I really wish was on the initial release. Spotify'google it...wonderful tune.

Yes it is that version, Jim, and I think the reason it was still in the shop was because it was on the World Record Club label. It's quite a strange label, as most of the stuff you see in charity shops on WRC are classical reissues and compilations, though they do have quite a decent catalogue, with some good records.

https://www.discogs.com/label/35306-World-Record-Club

I'll check that other track and see what I think.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:

Yes it is that version, Jim, and I think the reason it was still in the shop was because it was on the World Record Club label. It's quite a strange label, as most of the stuff you see in charity shops on WRC are classical reissues and compilations, though they do have quite a decent catalogue, with some good records.

https://www.discogs.com/label/35306-World-Record-Club

I'll check that other track and see what I think.

Just flicked through the WRC catalogue: what a strange and eclectic mix! Some great stuff though and they did reel to reel; I've always fancied getting into reel to reels. A dealer I know maintains that if it's all set up right, they sound fantastic. Anyway, thanks for sharing WRC catalogue: they've certainly got far more records on their books than I thought.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Some great stuff though and they did reel to reel; I've always fancied getting into reel to reels.

Yes you should do, Jim, with only 10,000 records, you could do with a little more choice. *wink*

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
Some great stuff though and they did reel to reel; I've always fancied getting into reel to reels.

Yes you should do, Jim, with only 10,000 records, you could do with a little more choice. *wink*

Ha! It wouldn't be for expanding the collection, but I just love watching tape wind on those reels and I'd really like to get a tape player; it would further help to create the illusion that it's still 1966, which I've spent most of my life trying to do. *blush*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:

Ha! It wouldn't be for expanding the collection, but I just love watching tape wind on those reels and I'd really like to get a tape player; it would further help to create the illusion that it's still 1966, which I've spent most of my life trying to do. *blush*

*good*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Vangelis - Beaubourg

41HNZN9DWCL.jpg

Took a punt on it yesterday, and I'm glad to say it's not your usual Vangelis pleasantly tuneful fare, and has lots of weird noises and very little in the way of melody or rhythm. Glad I bought it.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Played today, some. Are RSD releases bought during the week as part of a work visit to Broghton

The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike (RSD), been after this for a while on vinyl and love it, cheaper to buy the RSD version than get it second hand.

NME C86 (RSD)

Ezra Furman - Songs by Others (RSD), some great covers on here including an accoustic version of LCD Soundsytem's I Can Change

Prince - Purple Rain

Levellers - A Weapon Called The Word (RSD)

PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project

Cowboy Junkies - Whites Off Earth Now, a limited edition Mobile Fidelity Sound reissue of their first album, a very well done reissue, superbly presented and sounding superb.

John Coltrane - The Roulette Sides (RSD), very nice.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
East Of Eden: 'Mercator Projected'.

East Of Eden: 'Snafu'.

Jazzy, 'progessive' late 60's/early 70's strangeness; call it what you want, these boys had tunes and could play. Highly underrated and much better than King Crimson in the instrumental passage stakes...imo of course.

Stephen Stills: 'Manassas'.

John Coltrane: 'Africa/Brass'.

Syd Barrett: 'The Madcap Laughs'. Innocence, beauty, silliness and tragedy.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
East Of Eden: 'Mercator Projected'.

East Of Eden: 'Snafu'.

Jazzy, 'progessive' late 60's/early 70's strangeness; call it what you want, these boys had tunes and could play. Highly underrated and much better than King Crimson in the instrumental passage stakes...imo of course.

Never heard of them, but sounds interesting. I don't think Freddy will agree though.

Jim_W said:
John Coltrane: 'Africa/Brass'.

First track is the one, isn't it? Absolute genius.

Jim_W said:
Syd Barrett: 'The Madcap Laughs'. Innocence, beauty, silliness and tragedy.

Talking of genius.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts