What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 353 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Crosby Still Nash & Young - Deja Vu

Brian Auger / Julie Driscoll - Once Upon A Time (Collection)

Led Zeppelin - IV

Yes Freddy, I actually played Led Zeppelin.*biggrin*

I actually grew up with this album in a way, though it was one of my brother's records. He didn't have many, and this was one of the better ones, I also liked the first Iron Maiden album too, but really hated Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell, and still do.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Not posted for a while

I have not listened much recentl;y as I have been diagnosed with Tinnitus - I know there are people dying in the wars of the world but this has made a big difference to my everday life and has made me somewhat very depressed.

I am learning to 'live' with it as there is no cure

Spinning something easy on the ear....................

David Gilmour - On an Island

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
Not posted for a while

I have not listened much recentl;y as I have been diagnosed with Tinnitus - I know there are people dying in the wars of the world but this has made a big difference to my everday life and has made me somewhat very depressed.

That's bad news, Steve. I had noticed you'd been away for a while. Is it Carpenters records day in and day out from now on? *wink*

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I actually grew up with this album in a way, though it was one of my brother's records. He didn't have many, and this was one of the better ones, I also liked the first Iron Maiden album too, but really hated Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell, and still do.

It's a good album, LZ4, along with their previous three they were at their best, for me. As for BOOH, I think it got overplayed, but on reflection, I think it's a classic. I suppose it's become something of a cliche, but all in all, I still rate it. I also like the seemingly overlooked 'Dead Ringer' album, just as good as BOOH for me.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Not posted for a while

Something a music lover never wants to hear. I hope you can still enjoy listening to records, Steve. Best wishes.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Led Zeppelin - IV

Julie Driscoll fascinated me; I think she was probably the first woman that really made me ***** up my ears and stand to attention. Ahem. 'Open' and, especially, the double album, 'Streetnoise' are great records, although, being on the highly-collectible Marmalade label, I would imagine they command pretty high prices these days. Impeccable taste, BBB and, yes, Meatloaf is bombastic, dreadful and histrionic nonsense and Led Zep 4 not much better. Ha!!!

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Went to see Roky Erickson the other night so Easter Everywhere (the original mono version) getting a fair bit of play.

On the mono theme, also spinning Downliners Sect 'The Sect Sing Sick Songs' EP.

Also, Flying Burrito Brothers - Last of the Red Hot Burritos, Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow and Mott the Hoople's first album.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Julie Driscoll fascinated me; I think she was probably the first woman that really made me ***** up my ears and stand to attention. Ahem. 'Open' and, especially, the double album, 'Streetnoise' are great records, although, being on the highly-collectible Marmalade label, I would imagine they command pretty high prices these days. Impeccable taste, BBB and, yes, Meatloaf is bombastic, dreadful and histrionic nonsense and Led Zep 4 not much better. Ha!!!

She was quite a striking looking lady, and that voice, though I will say there are times when her voice can grate a little, and a whole album of her singing might be a bit too much for me to deal with. Luckily on my comp, there's bits of Brian singing, and the odd instrumental to break it up, though I'd love early copies of either of those two albums you mentioned, Jim.

I'm actually more of a Brian Auger fan, and I can't think of a better Hammond player than him over the last 50 years. I think I've mentioned it before, but I went to see him around 6 years ago, and there was barely 50 people there, in a venue that would've taken 2-300, which is a crime. His playing was still immense, though the band (which contains both his daughter and son) wasn't the best, but it was still a good night.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Led Zeppelin - IV

Impeccable taste, BBB and, yes, Meatloaf is bombastic, dreadful and histrionic nonsense and Led Zep 4 not much better. Ha!!!

Other opinions are available
thumbs_up.gif

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:

She was quite a striking looking lady, and that voice, though I will say there are times when her voice can grate a little, and a whole album of her singing might be a bit too much for me to deal with. Luckily on my comp, there's bits of Brian singing, and the odd instrumental to break it up, though I'd love early copies of either of those two albums you mentioned, Jim.

I'm actually more of a Brian Auger fan, and I can't think of a better Hammond player than him over the last 50 years. I think I've mentioned it before, but I went to see him around 6 years ago, and there was barely 50 people there, in a venue that would've taken 2-300, which is a crime. His playing was still immense, though the band (which contains both his daughter and son) wasn't the best, but it was still a good night.

Both 'Open' and 'Streetnoise' feature many tracks with just Auge, Tolly and Lobs without Jules as they were known back in the day. I agree with you; her voice is a thing of wonder when controlled, but when she thinks it's time to cut loose and give it some, it rises to a grating screech: 'Let The Sunshine In', which is probably on your comp, is a perfect example of this. Check the Brian Auger track, 'Tropic Of Capricorn' from 'Streetnoise'....wonderful Hammond sound and full of energy. My favourite Hammond player too.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
Jim_W said:
Impeccable taste, BBB and, yes, Meatloaf is bombastic, dreadful and histrionic nonsense and Led Zep 4 not much better. Ha!!!

No Freddy, if Jim and I say something is s*it, it's s*it, we are the law, and if Jim and I disagree, then I am the law. OK? *biggrin*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Both 'Open' and 'Streetnoise' feature many tracks with just Auge, Tolly and Lobs without Jules as they were known back in the day. I agree with you; her voice is a thing of wonder when controlled, but when she thinks it's time to cut loose and give it some, it rises to a grating screech: 'Let The Sunshine In', which is probably on your comp, is a perfect example of this. Check the Brian Auger track, 'Tropic Of Capricorn' from 'Streetnoise'....wonderful Hammond sound and full of energy. My favourite Hammond player too.

Saying that, 'Let The Sunshine In' is was of my favourite tracks, along with 'Indian Rope Man' and 'Black Cat', and I'm sure I heard worse examples of the screech when I played the album yesterday.

I've just played 'Tropic Of Capricorn, and it's superb, never heard that before.

I was asking the other day about Brian Eno albums, having heard his original of 'Third Uncle'. Is Eno your thing, and can you recommend an interesting album by him?

I've also had my attention brought to Blue Cheer, same question again.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
Jim_W said:

No Freddy, if Jim and I say something is s*it, it's s*it, we are the law, and if Jim and I disagree, then I am the law. OK? *biggrin*

"Law"? I thought you were an anarchist? *pardon*

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Blue Cheer. You probably know this already but the band took its name from Owlsley Stanley's blue LSD tabs. I've got a copy of Vincebus Eruptum. Probably the first heavy metal album and perfect if you like your drummers so loud they drown everything else out. Summertime Blues is, IMHO, the best track. At the time Blue Cheer were being touted as the loudest rock band in the world, that was before Grand Funk Railroad, of course...

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Both Eno and Blue Cheer are a bit out of my comfort zone although I do have a couple of Eno records which I like:

'Another Green World'

'Here Come The Warm Jets'.

Obvious recommendations, I guess. 'Music For Airports' I like too.

Blue Cheer has to be 'Vincebus Eruptum' and 'Outsideinside, their second album, which is a bit stranger and freakier than the first: I found a copy a couple of weeks back, spookily enough. Great sleeve too!!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Both Eno and Blue Cheer are a bit out of my comfort zone although I do have a couple of Eno records which I like:

'Another Green World'

'Here Come The Warm Jets'.

Obvious recommendations, I guess. 'Music For Airports' I like too.

Blue Cheer has to be 'Vincebus Eruptum' and 'Outsideinside, their second album, which is a bit stranger and freakier than the first: I found a copy a couple of weeks back, spookily enough. Great sleeve too!!

Thanks Jim. 'Outsideinside' sounds like the one for me, and someone else said about 'Here Come The Warm Jets', so I'll look to get that one before 'Another Green World'. 'Music For Airports' would probably be a CD purchase, as the chances of getting a totally mint LP for reasonable money are very low.

Hpw much did you pay for your copy of 'Outsideinside', just so I know how much to expect to pay?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

6and8 said:
Blue Cheer. You probably know this already but the band took its name from Owlsley Stanley's blue LSD tabs. I've got a copy of Vincebus Eruptum. Probably the first heavy metal album and perfect if you like your drummers so loud they drown everything else out. Summertime Blues is, IMHO, the best track. At the time Blue Cheer were being touted as the loudest rock band in the world, that was before Grand Funk Railroad, of course...

Thanks for the info. It's good to have someone else in the vinyl club with knowledge and taste. Welcome.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Doors - The Doors

Every time I play this, I think I mention how fantastic it is, and that I should play it more. I find it very hard to find a fault with it, and I've spent the last 5 minutes trying to convince my wife that 'The End' is the greatest song ever, but all she would say was "It's very long". She did admit that the album had a great sound and was brilliantly recorded and produced, and that the drums sounded fantastic, but she just doesn't care for Jim Morrison at all.

I followed it with:

The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sound Of The 13th Floor Elevators (stereo)

I have the Charly reissue with both the mono and stereo mix, and although I'll get crucified for this, I prefer stereo mixes to mono mixes on the whole.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The Doors - The Doors

Every time I play this, I think I mention how fantastic it is, and that I should play it more. I find it very hard to find a fault with it, and I've spent the last 5 minutes trying to convince my wife that 'The End' is the greatest song ever, but all she would say was "It's very long". She did admit that the album had a great sound and was brilliantly recorded and produced, and that the drums sounded fantastic, but she just doesn't care for Jim Morrison at all.

I followed it with:

The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sound Of The 13th Floor Elevators (stereo)

I have the Charly reissue with both the mono and stereo mix, and although I'll get crucified for this, I prefer stereo mixes to mono mixes on the whole.

My 'Outsideinside' was about £30 (and it's a strong VG+), I think, but bear in mind I get stuff as cheap as possible because I have used the same dealer for about 20 years or so and he always does me good deals. There again, I've spent a lot of money with him which is why I always advise punters to cultivate good relationships with traders...mine works different markets 3 days a week.

The first Doors lp is great in stereo but the mono mix is rather muffled and bottom-heavy, lacking detail and clarity.

It doesn't matter which version of 'The Psychedelic Sound Of The 13th Floor Elevators' you listen to, it's just a brilliant record as are all the Elevators lps. Remember I showed you that picture disc of the first album on my daughter's red Pro-Ject?! How time flies.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Remember I showed you that picture disc of the first album on my daughter's red Pro-Ject?! How time flies.

Not really, that was only last Monday. *biggrin*

It is a great album though, and I must give the mono mix a spin sometime soon, just to compare, though the track order is completely different.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts