What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 345 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Played a few albums today.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene

'Laughing' Leonard Cohen - Songs Of

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I haven't played any vinyl for a while, so where better to start than -

Talk Talk - The Colour Of Spring

Such a fantastic sounding record and hard to believe it's 30 years old this year.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Perpetual Motion People - Ezra Furman

Swords - Moz

Saved - Bob

Void Beats - Cavern Of Anti-Matter

Dusk At Cubist Castle - OTC

Revolver (mono) - Those blasted Beatles guys.

Concerto For Orchestra - Bartok/Solti/Chicago SO

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:

The real deal.

Charlie Jefferson said:

Imitators. *blum3*

Both fantastic albums, Charlie. I wonder if OTC will ever do anything again?

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
TV On The Radio - Seeds

Blur - The Magic Whip

Animal Collective - Paint With (bought today and sounding rather good so far)

Had hoped to get the Whiplash Soundtrack today but my local hadn't received it yet.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live Rust

Patti Smith Group - Easter

REM - Document

Big Black - Songs About *******

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra

New Order - Blue Monday (12") (Has anyone ever looked to see how many different pressings there are of this? It's a nightmare trying to pinpoint your exact copy)

The Passions - 30,000 ft Over China

marweb

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Played a few albums today.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene

'Laughing' Leonard Cohen - Songs Of

Bought Bitches Brew new on 180g vinyl this afternoon and just put it on after having to listen through The Voice. I hadn't heard it before ... what a surprise, what a joy to listen.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

AC/DC - Back In Black

Codeine - Frigid Stars LP

Sugarcubes - Life's Too Good

Tangerine Dream - Alpha Centauri

David Bowie - The World Of David Bowie

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live Rust

Patti Smith Group - Easter

REM - Document

Big Black - Songs About *******

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra

New Order - Blue Monday (12") (Has anyone ever looked to see how many different pressings there are of this? It's a nightmare trying to pinpoint your exact copy)

The Passions - 30,000 ft Over China

Big Black wow, excellent taste. I used to leave the cover out back in the 80's to annoy my 1st Wife ha

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

knaithrover said:
Big Black wow, excellent taste. I used to leave the cover out back in the 80's to annoy my 1st Wife ha

I need to get Atomizer, never heard it, but it's rated as better than SAF, so it must be a stormer,

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

The real deal.

Charlie Jefferson said:

Imitators. *blum3*

Both fantastic albums, Charlie. I wonder if OTC will ever do anything again?

Be interesting if OTC did, BBB.

Great album. Which led to:

Bend Beyond - Woods

A Season In Hull - The Wave Pictures

I Am A Wallet - McCarthy

K

keeper of the quays

Got from charity shop today 'big band explosion' Vic Lewis and his all stars...recorded live at Beaulieu festival in 1959..great recording, and fantastic musicians..best 50p I spent today!

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Gogo Penguin – Manmade Object
Julia Holter – Have You In My Wilderness
Elvin Jones – Polycurrents
Fela Kuti with The Africa '70 and Ginger Baker – Live!

Charlie and Jim, check out the Gogo Penguin if you don't know it. Terrible name, but good music. Blue Note's latest, like an acoustic version of electronic music. Nice, as Jon Thompson's jazz man would have said.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, pronster, for the recommendation which I will follow up; there's a whole host of new Blue Note artists that I know nothing about; I'm still lost in late 50's, early to md 60's Blue Notes. I think it highlights an issue that I seem to have: it takes me years to appreciate new music. I usually discover good stuff about twenty years after everybody else. 'It's your age, dear'. Gogo Penguin is the worst name for a band since Prefab Sprout.

The Beatles: 'Magical Mystery Tour' mono ep. Listening to 'I Am The Walrus' for the first time in ages and I'm thinking this is the creation of a pretty incredible mind. Exhibit A in the case for 'John was a genius'.

The Doors: 'Waiting For The Sun'. mono and stereo.

Rolling Stones: 'Between The Buttons'. mono

Rolling Stones: 'Beggar's Banquet' mono

Rolling Stones: 'Let It Bleed'. mono

Tim Buckley: 'Happy Sad'.

Jefferson Airplane: 'Volunteers' and 'Crown Of Creation'.

Bunny Wailer: 'Blackheart Man'. Wonderful. Like a highly-evolved adult talking to you.

Red Garland Trio: 'Groovy'. Paul Chambers' bass though...phew! Genius.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Jim_W said:
I think it highlights an issue that I seem to have: it takes me years to appreciate new music. I usually discover good stuff about twenty years after everybody else. 'It's your age, dear'.

While this happens to me a bit, I seem to suffer from the opposite problem: hear something for the first time and think 'wow, that's incredible', then buy it (or hunt for it for ever and then buy it), then a few years (or even, sometimes, months) down the line I realise it's a load of rubbish with no merit whatever. This is the case for probably approaching half of what I bought in my teens (when I built up the bulk of my collection). Of course, in most cases, this means that it has no resale value either. It might be rare, but no one wants it.

Jim_W said:
Gogo Penguin is the worst name for a band since Prefab Sprout.

Well, quite. Not sure the music will be your thing at all, but it might, so I thought I'd mention it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
the opposite problem: hear something for the first time and think 'wow, that's incredible', then buy it (or hunt for it for ever and then buy it), then a few years (or even, sometimes, months) down the line I realise it's a load of rubbish with no merit whatever. This is the case for probably approaching half of what I bought in my teens (when I built up the bulk of my collection). Of course, in most cases, this means that it has no resale value either. It might be rare, but no one wants it.

We all did it, but I think you should name some names, as you seem to have done it more than most? *smile*

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh gosh, Bern – let's just say, in those days obscurity was something I saw as a quality to be highly prized. Also I liked noise. I still like noise, but nowadays I like it to have something to it other than just being noisy.

Today:
Various – Pomegranates (Iranian funk, pop and soul from the 1960s)
The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses
Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit...
Front 242 – Official Version
The Guest Stars – Out At Night (superb British 80s Latin-tinged jazz, incidentally from an all-female group including that Deidre Cartwright from BBC2's Rock School)
Jon Hopkins – Immunity (disc 1)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Oh gosh, Bern – let's just say, in those days obscurity was something I saw as a quality to be highly prized. Also I liked noise. I still like noise, but nowadays I like it to have something to it other than just being noisy.

Are we talking 80s? 90s?

I'm genuinely interested.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Gogo Penguin – Manmade ObjectJulia Holter – Have You In My WildernessElvin Jones – PolycurrentsFela Kuti with The Africa '70 and Ginger Baker – Live!

Charlie and Jim, check out the Gogo Penguin if you don't know it. Terrible name, but good music. Blue Note's latest, like an acoustic version of electronic music. Nice, as Jon Thompson's jazz man would have said.

Will do, TSP, you're the second person who has mentioned them to me.

Thanks.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
David Byrne - The Catherine Wheel

I love this record, a ballet score from 1981. The link between Talking Heads' Fear of Music/Remain In Light albums and the collaboration My Life In The Bush of Ghosts with Brian Eno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts